PDA

View Full Version : Tune-up parts - Marine Specific?

Ski-me
07-20-2009, 11:26 AM
My local shop is up in Denver (60 miles away) and didn't want to drive up if I didn't have to.

For my 94' 205, LT1:
Are the spark plugs anything special or are they just standard automotive ones? Recommendations on type and model number?
Same thing for fuel filter, can I just get one at napa? Again, type and model number?

Trying to get rid of my slight hesitation/hickup at full throttle. My wife told me she felt it as well and want to get this fixed before taking the boat out for our church group (my boat is the main entertainment for the weekend).

thanks!

TMCNo1
07-20-2009, 11:51 AM
My local shop is up in Denver (60 miles away) and didn't want to drive up if I didn't have to.

For my 94' 205, LT1:
Are the spark plugs anything special or are they just standard automotive ones? Recommendations on type and model number?
Same thing for fuel filter, can I just get one at napa? Again, type and model number?

Trying to get rid of my slight hesitation/hickup at full throttle. My wife told me she felt it as well and want to get this fixed before taking the boat out for our church group (my boat is the main entertainment for the weekend).thanks!

Remove a plug and take it to the auto parts store with you and tell them it's for a LT1, but should be MR43LTS, http://www.google.com/cse?cx=005775850323706454504%3A8-nmuizykqo&ie=UTF-8&q=LT1+spark+plugs&sa=Search

east tx skier
07-20-2009, 12:12 PM
Fuel filter and plugs can be sourced at Napa for sure.

Ski-me
07-20-2009, 12:23 PM
Thanks Eastie.

Only 44 more posts to go for you......:cool:

CameronCarey
07-20-2009, 01:30 PM
NAPA can provide even the Marine Grade Parts for most items...........if not just order them online, companies like Skidim have the tech support to get the right parts and the prices are very competitive to boot.

www.skidim.com

Thrall
07-20-2009, 04:27 PM
I've bought all my maint parts at the auto parts store, except impellers. Plugs are MR43LTS, but I ran the MR43LT's for several years. Only diff is thier not stainless steel, but my boat/bilge is dry. They didn't rust up, but that's your choice. This year I replaced them with the NGK equivalent ('cause that's what they had in stock in stainless steel plugs), works fine. Fuel and oil filters...auto parts store.
Remember, there's the fuel filter on the back of the engine and one on top of the gas tank (inline) as well.

Ski-me
07-20-2009, 07:26 PM
Thanks for the tip on the second filter. I only changed the main one but not the one on top of the tank. I'll check it out when I get home.

I get most/all of my work at Tommy's. How about you and your experience with the local MC dealer?

blackcreek
07-20-2009, 08:16 PM
My 97 205 with the LT1 did not have a filter before the fuel pump, I had to add one. Did you check your fuel pressure at WOT? The filter screen on my pump inlet was clogged a bit and caused a stumble at high power along with a whine at the pump. Check the screen if you don't have a filter between the pump and the fuel tank. I got all my plugs and filters at NAPA.

Ski-me
07-20-2009, 08:45 PM
Thanks Blackcreek,
That was my next question.....I looked around my gas tank and could not find another filter. I saw a valve with a lever on it but that's it. I was going to ask if someone had a picture of this secondary filter.

I also looked at my plugs and they say AC 906 on them. :confused: I don't know why they are so different. I did pick up some MR43LTS at napa for $18.

If someone does have a picture of the secondary filter, that would be great.

Blackcreek, did you just cut it in and secure with hose clamps?

I have not check the pressure yet but may try it out, too.

Ski-me
07-20-2009, 08:48 PM
I did check my main fuel filter and it says "Purolator F33144".....I will try and cross reference to be sure it's one of the other noted filters.

blackcreek
07-20-2009, 09:04 PM
I just cut the hose about a foot behind the shutoff valve and plugged in a NAPA 3482 fuel filter with some hose clamps, takes 5 minutes. Fuel pressure is really easy to check, all you need is to buy the tester. It screws on the schrader valve right on top of the motor. My motor shows about 42 psi when running at idle and you could watch the fuel pressure drop and hear the pump whine when it was not getting enough fuel.

Ski-me
07-20-2009, 09:10 PM
I did check my main fuel filter and it says "Purolator F33144".....I will try and cross reference to be sure it's one of the other noted filters.

Cross reference was AC GF481....completely different from (GF625F and GF626). This fuel filter was provided by my Denver MC dealer last year.....

Ski-me
07-22-2009, 12:54 AM
Thanks for all the help! I cut in a new filter at the tank and replaced the old fuel filter. I also changed out the plugs which looked terrible! I pulled out the pickup tube from the tank and cleaned the screen as well as the sump bucket. I did find a little debris in the bucket so the exercise was worth it. I also installed my new fuel sending unit while I had the tank partially removed.

Here are the final part numbers I used for my 94' 205 LT1 engine:

Spark Plugs – AC Delco MR43LTS
Main Fuel Filter – Napa FIL 3481
Tank Fuel Filter – Napa FIL 3482

Oil Filter – Napa FIL 1060 (5.178” Tall)
Oil Filter – Napa FIL 7099 (3.306” Tall)

I did take some pictures of the procedure and will upload tomorrow. I did a test run in the driveway and no leaks.......Ready for tomorrow morning!

redlightning
07-23-2009, 12:36 PM
What about plug wires? Any suggestions?

TMCNo1
07-23-2009, 01:46 PM

Several choices, http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1079

JimN
07-23-2009, 01:55 PM
Thanks Eastie.

Only 44 more posts to go for you......:cool:

Check your math.

Ski-me
07-23-2009, 02:18 PM
Check your math.

At the time of the post he was at 19,956.....now it's at 19,966. It is always updated to the current count regardless of the date of the post. :)

Ski-me
07-23-2009, 02:20 PM

I got Indmar wires from my local MC dealer. Good quality looking and thick (I don't know the mm).

JimN
07-23-2009, 02:48 PM
I got Indmar wires from my local MC dealer. Good quality looking and thick (I don't know the mm).

If they're the red Taylor/Indmar wires, they're probably 8mm.

Ski-me
07-23-2009, 02:50 PM
If they're the red Taylor/Indmar wires, they're probably 8mm.

Yep, red ones.....

Thrall
07-23-2009, 03:06 PM
Thanks for the tip on the second filter. I only changed the main one but not the one on top of the tank. I'll check it out when I get home.

I get most/all of my work at Tommy's. How about you and your experience with the local MC dealer?

I wasn't sure if teh 2nd filter by the tank was OEM or not, guess not.
I've never been to the MC dlr in Denver.

JimN
07-23-2009, 03:26 PM
The early injected motors had one at the tank and one on the motor.

east tx skier
07-23-2009, 04:02 PM

For the 351, an alternative is White Lake Marine. While they're not a MC dealer and don't carry indmar parts. Their PCM wire set for the 351 (not GT-40) will fit the Indmar marinized 351. The wires are perfect in length and have the right angle boots already. There is a 10% off coupon code for PN members.