PDA

View Full Version : Worn area on the keel

Finnsdad
07-20-2009, 08:46 AM
Prior owner said "I never beached the boat", right. So what should I do about this? It is worn to the point where you can see the mesh pattern in the fiberglass.

JohnE
07-20-2009, 09:16 AM
Get it to a gelcoat repair shop before it gets worse.

bigmac
07-20-2009, 09:30 AM
He obviously did beach the boat. Regularly.

I agree with JohnE, you want to get the fiberglass re-covered and from the standpoint of blending and color-matching, that's going to best be done by someone who does it a lot.

TMCNo1
07-20-2009, 09:58 AM
Is the keel hitting a cross member or rubbing across a stuck keel roller when launching and loading?
In the picture it looks like the gelcoat is rubbed off on the side of the keel, not on the face of the keel that beaching would cause. Before you launch the next time, coat the keel with some white grease and when you park the trailer after launching, look for white grease that has been rubbed off the keel onto the trailer. The white grease should show up well on the red trailer. You can do the same thing with some green 3M body shop masking tape, but it may not leave any evidence on the trailer like the grease will.

JohnE
07-20-2009, 10:06 AM
Good observation #1.

TMCNo1
07-20-2009, 10:14 AM
More pictures from different angles, especially from front to rear, under the boat, showing the relationship of the the trailer crossmembers and the keel and a good picture of the trailer would be helpful. What brand of trailer is it?

coz
07-20-2009, 10:32 AM
Double post! slow down #1 :D

Finnsdad
07-20-2009, 11:37 AM
I'll get some more pics this afternoon.

TMCNo1
07-20-2009, 11:59 AM
Double post! slow down #1 :D

I dunno what I did, must have been backing up, caught I had left something out instead of edit, THWI!

Finnsdad
07-20-2009, 10:55 PM
Here are some more pics. It is only on the port side. There is no keel roller, it is a Vanguard trailer. What are your opinions of the Keel Guard product? It could have been rubbing on the prior owners shore station too.

TMCNo1
07-21-2009, 12:18 AM
It doesn't appear to be from beaching.

hz900
07-28-2009, 06:16 PM
If its not to bad, like mine wasn't when it started doing this, you could just get a keel guard and install. I think they are a good idea anyway, but I do beach my boat regularly so it was a must have for me, although I think the stuck roller on my trailer did most of the damage. If its to bad and really down to the fibers (not just can see them but feel them as well) and you don't have the money to have it professionally repaired, you could alway buy some fiberglass resin and hardener from a local automotive paint shop (napa) and put a thin layer on there to seal it, then sand it smooth. You could even put the keel guard on over that. I know I'll get hammered for that suggestion, but just wanted to give a cheaper alternative solution that would work to get you by.

Waketn
07-28-2009, 09:56 PM
This is not from beaching the boat. It is from loading/unloading boat, From my experience if it was from beaching you would seel it on both side of the keel. I agree with TMCnO1 might be from the trailer.

johnson19aj
02-07-2011, 01:41 PM
Can I resurrect this old thread? I have this exact problem (but way worse) and I know mine is from the keel roller (94 mastercraft trailer). Looks like I'm going to need to get this professionally fixed, any guesses on how much that should cost? And better question, how do i prevent this from happening in the future? Just a new keel roller with that rolls smoothly? Any suggestions on this?

Table Rocker
02-07-2011, 02:21 PM
how do i prevent this from happening in the future?I don't know anything about how steep your ramp is, but you might consider going a little deeper in the water with the trailer so you aren't on the roller so much.

aquaman
02-07-2011, 02:59 PM
good point......alot of folks are hesistant to sink the trailer, but prefer the " feel" of powering onto or off of bunks. bunk carpet can be pretty abrasive......especially at launch.

east tx skier
02-07-2011, 03:32 PM
Can I resurrect this old thread? I have this exact problem (but way worse) and I know mine is from the keel roller (94 mastercraft trailer). Looks like I'm going to need to get this professionally fixed, any guesses on how much that should cost? And better question, how do i prevent this from happening in the future? Just a new keel roller with that rolls smoothly? Any suggestions on this?

My trailer caught my old MC wrong early in my ownership of it and I had to have it professionally repaired on the keel. It was around $200 if I recall correctly. Looked worse than it was fortunately.

erkoehler
02-07-2011, 05:55 PM
I'd guess 2-400 depending on how long of an area needs to be repairs and what color it is. Replace the roller on the trailer every few years, its cheap insurance!

Bring it down and I can have our fiberglass shop take care of it! You'll never know it happened.

east tx skier
02-07-2011, 09:34 PM
Good advice on the roller. Of course, in my case, it was that composite v-block on the trailer crumbling under the carpet.

hbomb
02-08-2011, 06:33 PM
certainly find out the cause but I would be making sure you get to a glass shop as water will soak into the exposed area and cause you all sorts of problems...... without delay

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
02-11-2011, 12:13 PM
I want to add some kind of guard to my keel to prevent this from happening, any suggestions as to what kind of keel guard to use and do guards affect handling, thanks for the input, '89 ts 190