PDA

View Full Version : In-line Fuel filter

f16driver
07-19-2009, 10:39 PM
Is there a in-line fuel filter in a 2003 prostar 197. I know about the filter thats attached to the bottom of the fuel pump assembly in the fuel tank. Is there another filter closer to the engine?

F16driver
2003 prostar 197

bigmac
07-19-2009, 10:49 PM
Is there a in-line fuel filter in a 2003 prostar 197. I know about the filter thats attached to the bottom of the fuel pump assembly in the fuel tank. Is there another filter closer to the engine?

F16driver
2003 prostar 197

No. Just the one on the fuel pump.

f16driver
07-20-2009, 06:31 AM
Thanks Bigmac

BriEOD
07-20-2009, 08:02 AM
And it is SO much fun changing it.:rolleyes:

bigmac
07-20-2009, 08:41 AM
And it is SO much fun changing it.:rolleyes:
Yeh, it's a little cumbersome for sure.

Given MasterCraft's well-known and oft-discussed problems with their fuel pumps in that model year range, my belief is that problems that we might ascribe to a dirty fuel filter are actually signs of a dead-or-dying fuel pump. Given the filter/pump arrangement and the apparent wimpiness of the fuel pump, a fuel filter dirty enough to cause engine symptoms is dirty enough to impede flow to the pump and kill it.

I think it's reasonable to proactively change the fuel filter on some periodic basis, but once symptoms appear, it's too late IMHO and rather than going to all that trouble of pulling the module and replacing the filter only to find after reassembly that it didn't fix the fuel flow problem, one is better off putting a new pump in there too while the module is removed..

f16driver
07-20-2009, 09:05 AM
Thanks Guys,
I am experiencing some random stalling at low rpms, just above idle to 2000 rpm. Already changed the fuel pump using my backup spare and stalling symptoms still there. I was just checking to make sure there wasnt an additional filter down line in the system.
I'm still trying to figure out the stalling though....my best guess is water in the fuel. It started doing this right after un winterizing. Boat spent winter on the lift outside with plenty of Stabil..

F16driver
03 PS197

bigmac
07-20-2009, 09:26 AM
Ah. And it looks like you already have the idle air controller in your target designator box.

BriEOD
07-20-2009, 12:42 PM
Yeh, it's a little cumbersome for sure.

Given MasterCraft's well-known and oft-discussed problems with their fuel pumps in that model year range, my belief is that problems that we might ascribe to a dirty fuel filter are actually signs of a dead-or-dying fuel pump. Given the filter/pump arrangement and the apparent wimpiness of the fuel pump, a fuel filter dirty enough to cause engine symptoms is dirty enough to impede flow to the pump and kill it.

I think it's reasonable to proactively change the fuel filter on some periodic basis, but once symptoms appear, it's too late IMHO and rather than going to all that trouble of pulling the module and replacing the filter only to find after reassembly that it didn't fix the fuel flow problem, one is better off putting a new pump in there too while the module is removed..

Well put. I would agree with you.

f16driver
09-04-2009, 03:19 PM
My 03 PS197 used to start fine, idle for anywhere from 5 seconds to 5 minutes and then quit. But it would restart immediately every time. I suspected bad fuel, engine coolant temp sensor, manifold absolute pressure sensor, faulty grounds, fuel pump etc... I even purchased some diagnostic software. The software showed a code for Map and ECM so I finally gave up and trailered the boat to the local MC dealer (3hours away) and 20 minutes later techs' MC software was also screaming bad ECM. We swapped out the MEFI-4 with a MEFI-4B and finally problem gone. No more stalling motor. It seems like the ECM has a short or faulty component somewhere on the circuit board and after it heats up the ECM fails and the motor quits.

bjackson
12-24-2009, 12:43 PM
Is it a pain in the butt to change the fuel filter? I'd like to change mine for this upcoming season...

bigmac
12-24-2009, 01:10 PM
Is it a pain in the butt to change the fuel filter?

On a 2001, yes.

bjackson
03-21-2010, 08:38 PM
Alright, so if I were going to do this are there any instructions or tutorials online? It appears to me I have easy access to the top of my tank where the fuel lines are exiting from the tank. What's involved, I'm not very familiar with the process at all.

Removing the fasteners from the topside of the tank where the fuel lines are would give me access the fuel pump, correct? If that is the case, I'm clueless from there.

Thanks

f16driver
03-22-2010, 04:32 AM
BJackson,
Where in the NE are you located?

F16Driver

bjackson
03-22-2010, 08:39 AM
Alright, so if I were going to do this are there any instructions or tutorials online? It appears to me I have easy access to the top of my tank where the fuel lines are exiting from the tank. What's involved, I'm not very familiar with the process at all.

Removing the fasteners from the topside of the tank where the fuel lines are would give me access the fuel pump, correct? If that is the case, I'm clueless from there.

Thanks

Nevermind, I think this post does the trick explaining what I need:
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=25783&highlight=Failure

If anyone has anything to add to that, feel free.

bjackson
03-23-2010, 10:04 AM
BJackson,
Where in the NE are you located?

F16Driver

I'm up in Connecticut