PDA

View Full Version : Valve cover bolt access

Napagary
07-18-2009, 12:50 PM
My '76 MC has a damaged valve cover which is causing a small oil leak. It's a 351 engine. Seems like the PCM water cooled manifold has to come off in order to access the bottom, middle valve cover bolt? Ugh!!
Ideas, comments?
Thks

TMCNo1
07-18-2009, 02:44 PM
My '76 MC has a damaged valve cover which is causing a small oil leak. It's a 351 engine. Seems like the PCM water cooled manifold has to come off in order to access the bottom, middle valve cover bolt? Ugh!!
Ideas, comments?
Thks

If it's like most Fords, yes the manifold has to come off. Just go ahead and get it over with.

JimN
07-18-2009, 04:28 PM
It's not that hard. Just leave the exhaust hose on it and it'll be easier to reinstall.

Napagary
07-18-2009, 04:53 PM
Thanks guys, I'm on it! The valve cover has a pretty good dent from something in the past. I haven't heard any rocker type noises tho I'll check the underside of the cover for contact.

zekedog
06-26-2010, 12:53 AM
I just did the valve cover gaskets on my 92 PS190 351 Indmar. The manifold does not have to be removed. I used a 1/4 inch rachet with 6 inch extension and swivel adapter on the engine end. 7/16th socket. Wasn't easy... and took a full 6+ pack... but it's done. There are two nuts that are a beeatch to get to on each side. I stuck a wad of paper in my socket and filled with it marine grease. The grease held the nut in the socket and the wad prevented the nut from being pushed into the socket. A couple turns on the bolt studs and the nuts caught and pulled tight. Take your time and make sure the beer is cold. Make sure you have a magnetic telescopic retriever (seriously). Cheap and worth every penny. Use it to remove the washers holding the covers down and to put the two beeatches back in place.. They will fly off when you remove the covers. Use an old towel to block off the bilge in case something drops. Like anything mechanical the next time will take no time.