PDA

View Full Version : Engine hoist requirements for 78 SS

7thsfgdoc
07-18-2009, 12:43 PM
Guys, I am looking to purchase an engine hoist so I can pull the engine out of a 78 SS. I read on one of the threads about the height requirements needed to get the engine over the side of the boat, however, I cannot remember the thread name.

I have found a reasonably priced lift with 2 ton capabilty, 63.5 inch boom length, and 103.5 inch max height. Any thoughts on if this is sufficient to remove the engine?

thanks.

keith3613
07-18-2009, 01:24 PM
I’ve always owned and Engine Hoist. I use mine to take my 1984 “Stars and Stripes” off of the trailer for maintenance. You really don’t need to buy an Engine Hoist if it’s a one time deal. You can rent one from an auto parts place. However, you might as well get a good one in case you want to use it for other things. I’ve picked up safes, boats, car engines to change motor mounts, boat motors, pulled fence posts and a whole lot of other things. They are handy. One that has more capacity than you need is better. You will have less problems with the boom sagging and it will be safer. Plus, it will usually go higher, roll easier and last longer. And, the jack mechanism will go up quicker with less effort. Spend the money and get a good hoist. You can easily sell it if you ever need to. Plus, your friends will pay you to use it. By the way, never lend it out. You friends will keep it much longer than they estimated. Always offer to help them when they’re ready to lift something. You’ll be surprised how much better prepared your friends will be when they know you’ll be coming to help them and leaving with the hoist.

nascar
07-18-2009, 01:49 PM
Keith 3613 is right , for years I did not have one , then I purchased one from Northern tool and it has been one of my best buys . No , I do not use it every week but when I do , it sure makes things a lot easier . Storage was a problem for me , mine is outside under a tarp . One day I may change the wheels so it rolls easier in the yard .

7thsfgdoc
07-18-2009, 02:22 PM
Thanks guys, great advice. The one I am looking at is just under $200 (before tax) and has a 2 ton capabilty plus it is foldable for storage. I can't imagine I would need more than 2 ton capibility. I can get a 1 ton for about $50 less but it has less boom length and max height.

I thought about renting one but I am a habitual tool collector (just ask the wife) and my motto is "a new job = a new tool". Somehow I think a boat restoration will equal lots of new tools...