PDA

View Full Version : Timing specs on 351 indmar, 89 PS190

hkallestad
07-17-2009, 09:05 AM
Could someone tell me the timing specs on my 351, 89 PS190, or where to find them?

JimN
07-17-2009, 09:24 AM
Look on the top of your valve covers. Some motors had a sticker with the tuneup specs, including timing advance, dwell, spark plug number and gap and firing order.

If not, 6-10 will work. I have never seen one spec'd at higher than 10BTDC.

hkallestad
07-17-2009, 09:31 AM
I don't think I have the original valve covers anymore, the onces I have now are chrome with a smooth surface. Anyway, 6-10 degrees, does that mean 6-10 degress past the marking on the rotor thingy behind the raw water pump assembly??

JimN
07-17-2009, 09:52 AM
I don't think I have the original valve covers anymore, the onces I have now are chrome with a smooth surface. Anyway, 6-10 degrees, does that mean 6-10 degress past the marking on the rotor thingy behind the raw water pump assembly??

These boats don't have anything called a 'thingy'.

That's the timing indicator, BTW. Yes- mark the groove on the crank behind the pulley and watch for 6. Try that and as long as you're not in a hot, dry area, you should be able to bump it up a little but if you hear pinging, back it down to 6. Old gas loses octane rating and will cause pinging, too. Make sure the gas is fresh.

flipper
07-17-2009, 09:55 AM
I could have sworn my boat had a thingy

hkallestad
07-17-2009, 10:11 AM
:D my english machinery vocabulary is not always up to date. Thanks for the reply!

JimN
07-17-2009, 10:45 AM
:D my english machinery vocabulary is not always up to date. Thanks for the reply!

I should have noticed where you are- far too much slang in the English language.

denverd1
07-17-2009, 10:59 AM
After TDC may be marked as well. just make sure you find BTDC

TMCNo1
07-17-2009, 11:23 AM
After TDC may be marked as well. just make sure you find BTDC

To leave no doubt, Before Top Dead Center (BTDC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BTDC))

hkallestad
07-17-2009, 12:10 PM
I'll have a walk to the boat and look for the marks on the cranck/wheel/thingy;-)

TMCNo1
07-17-2009, 12:44 PM
I'll have a walk to the boat and look for the marks on the cranck/wheel/thingy;-)

Timing post on the block and red marks on the harmonic balancer, long red line is 6 degrees BTDC/BTC and short red line is TC/TDC, on yours you will see grooves and numbers in the harmonic balancer for TDC, and every small mark is 2 degrees.

hkallestad
07-17-2009, 04:15 PM
Here's mine, scraped the paint off to get to it. Mine says ATC in the upper end of the picture and BTC in the lower part of the picture, is it 6-10 degrees towards BTC I want? The timing needle points at 0 degrees in the picture.

Could somebody please run through the timing process, is it like this:
Loosen the distributor retainer bolt,
hook timing light up to battery, ground and the clamp to plugwire 1,
start the engine hot and time it at 600 rpm?

Have I forgotten something? Is plug number 1 at port side at the front?

Finnsdad
07-17-2009, 04:19 PM
The mark will change depending on where in the rotation the engine stopped. You will need a timing light, which should come with instructions.

hkallestad
07-17-2009, 04:24 PM
The mark will change depending on where in the rotation the engine stopped. You will need a timing light, which should come with instructions.

I'll buy a timing light tomorrow. I'm offcourse aware of that the mark on the picture doesn't tell me anything right now;-)

TMCNo1
07-17-2009, 05:10 PM
Here's mine, scraped the paint off to get to it. Mine says ATC in the upper end of the picture and BTC in the lower part of the picture, is it 6-10 degrees towards BTC I want? The timing needle points at 0 degrees in the picture.

Could somebody please run through the timing process, is it like this:
Loosen the distributor retainer bolt,
hook timing light up to battery, ground and the clamp to plugwire 1,
start the engine hot and time it at 600 rpm?

Have I forgotten something? Is plug number 1 at port side at the front?

I had mine previous post screwed up and have edited it, I posted the red lines wrong.
On your picture, 6 degrees is the 3rd mark below the block pointer on the harmonic balancer.
O is TC/TDC and 6 degrees in on the BTC/BTDC side.
#1 is on the front Starboard side, behind the drivers seat, right behind the alternator.

hkallestad
07-17-2009, 05:20 PM
Thanks! Thats a clean engine, wish mine looked like that:)

JimN
07-17-2009, 05:39 PM
I'll buy a timing light tomorrow. I'm offcourse aware of that the mark on the picture doesn't tell me anything right now;-)

If you can, buy one with a dial on it so you can vary the timing of the flash. It's more useful if you consider the long term use because not all motors have more than just TDC marked. If you know the desired advance, you can dial it in on the timing light and then, all you have to do is rotate the distributor so the TDC mark lines up.

hkallestad
07-18-2009, 11:05 AM
Bought one today, standard cheap one, I don't think I'll be timing other engines, not cars anyway, I'm in Norway you know;-) Its raining today, I'll time it tomorrow, looking forward to it! According to the mastercraft manual I'm suppose to have 10 degees if I have the black rotor cap, mine is black so I'll try that and see.

JimN
07-18-2009, 01:07 PM
Bought one today, standard cheap one, I don't think I'll be timing other engines, not cars anyway, I'm in Norway you know;-)

Not even as a Good Samaritan?

hkallestad
07-19-2009, 09:36 AM
Off course I would like to help other people, but it's just not many engines around up here that you normally would need to time like that;-)

Timed the engine today, it was at 30 degrees @ 1000 rpm. a bit high;-) Turned the distributor until I hit 10 degrees at about 600 rpm. Engine is running better than ever!

Chicago190
07-19-2009, 09:49 AM
It probably won't change by much, but I believe you want to set it to 10 degrees BTDC at 1000 RPM, but your adjustment will be a vast improvement from 30 degrees BTDC. From my experience even a 10 degree variance from specs can negatively impact idle and starting.

JimN
07-19-2009, 10:02 AM
Off course I would like to help other people, but it's just not many engines around up here that you normally would need to time like that;-)

Timed the engine today, it was at 30 degrees @ 1000 rpm. a bit high;-) Turned the distributor until I hit 10 degrees at about 600 rpm. Engine is running better than ever!

Goor to see this. Now, run it again and increase the RPM, so you can watch the advance increase. It should smoothly add about 25-30 degrees at high RPM without jumping around and should return smoothly if you decrease the RPM smoothly. If it doesn't do this, remove the cap/rotor and steel plat under the points/ignition module so you can look at the weights and springs. These can corrode and freeze in place, which causes lack of power at higher RPM.

TMCNo1
07-19-2009, 10:28 AM
That's great news! I felt somehow we all would get you there just had to get all the ducks all lined up just right.

hkallestad
07-19-2009, 03:50 PM
Goor to see this. Now, run it again and increase the RPM, so you can watch the advance increase. It should smoothly add about 25-30 degrees at high RPM without jumping around and should return smoothly if you decrease the RPM smoothly. If it doesn't do this, remove the cap/rotor and steel plat under the points/ignition module so you can look at the weights and springs. These can corrode and freeze in place, which causes lack of power at higher RPM.

I'll do that, i believe my weights and springs are ok since I lubricated and changed the springs when I switched to breakerless/electronic ignition this spring. Thank you so much for the input guys, love the teamtalk!

JimN
07-19-2009, 08:47 PM
I'll do that, i believe my weights and springs are ok since I lubricated and changed the springs when I switched to breakerless/electronic ignition this spring. Thank you so much for the input guys, love the teamtalk!

Good thinking.

Cloaked
07-19-2009, 09:03 PM
Good deal.