PDA

View Full Version : Be careful what you clean your tires with...

P-hat_in_Cincy
07-16-2009, 04:08 PM
I'm kinda embarrassed to post this, but if it keeps someone else from doing it...

For the first time ever I used Wesley's Bleach White by following the instructions...spray on a dry tire and let sit. I always used to spray it on after wetting the wheel and tires with water. Well...I failed to see/read the RED writing that stated DO NOT spray on aluminum wheels. Doing so may permantly mark the wheels. Well guess what??? :o

The white spray and streak marks in the picture do not simply wipe or scrub off. Luckily, about 3-4hrs of polishing with a metal/wheel cleaner removed 90-95% of the markings. I'm confident I can get the rest off with a little more time.

On the positive side, my wheels shine like never before!

Hollywood
07-16-2009, 04:23 PM
Do you have white letters in the sidewall?

P-hat_in_Cincy
07-16-2009, 04:26 PM
No...but that's the only cleaner I had and normally stock. That has changed now.

damaged442
07-16-2009, 05:02 PM
Yeah, the Bleche Wite will do a job on the aluminum, especially if the clear coat is gone. If you do use it, spray it on, scrub the tires quickly, rinse with water, then I soap them down and rinse them again. Blue Magic works well at taking the spots off if the aluminum starts to etch like yours did.

flipper
07-16-2009, 05:04 PM
Doesn't something that strong tear up the tires? Just rub them against the curb a little knock the mud off and keep rollin'

Sodar
07-16-2009, 05:13 PM
I use Bleeche White exclusively on all tires and have never had an issue. Did you spray the cleaner on the wheels or just on the tires? By the looks of the pic, it looks like just overspray from the tires, did this, but I could be wrong.

Chicago190
07-16-2009, 05:45 PM
Wow you guys are dedicated. I would never think about using tire cleaner. A shot with the pressure washer at the drive thru car washes and then some tire shine is all I've ever needed on my car or trailer.

P-hat_in_Cincy
07-16-2009, 05:52 PM
I use Bleeche White exclusively on all tires and have never had an issue. Did you spray the cleaner on the wheels or just on the tires? By the looks of the pic, it looks like just overspray from the tires, did this, but I could be wrong.

It's overspray from when I sprayed it on the tires.

I've always used WBW, but again, I've always sprayed the wheel and tire with water first, then WBW, then scrub the tires, then rinse. Never a problem. However, the instructions say to spray it on a dry tire and let sit. So the first time I follow the 'procedural instructions' this happened. I didn't follow the most important instruction that states not to use on aluminum.

I did use Blue Magic and that's what got (most of) it off.

Sodar
07-16-2009, 06:04 PM
It's overspray from when I sprayed it on the tires.

I've always used WBW, but again, I've always sprayed the wheel and tire with water first, then WBW, then scrub the tires, then rinse. Never a problem. However, the instructions say to spray it on a dry tire and let sit. So the first time I follow the 'procedural instructions' this happened. I didn't follow the most important instruction that states not to use on aluminum.

I did use Blue Magic and that's what got (most of) it off.

Got ya! I wet everything down, too. It's hard to step away from the WBW... I have yet to find anything the melts away old tire shine, road grime, dirt and grease as well as WBW. A good cleaning with WBW followed by some tire dressing really looks great compared to a tire that has not been cleaned. The uncleaned tire might look shiny, but it ends there.

rem_pss308
07-16-2009, 08:14 PM
You guys should use comet on your tires. it works great. Put some on a Brush and the tires clean up really nice. It will look like you sprayed them with armoral

mgurley
07-17-2009, 09:35 AM
Scrubbing Bubbles (yes the bathroom cleaner) it will make you tires look brand new.

shepherd
07-17-2009, 09:58 AM
Wow you guys are dedicated. I would never think about using tire cleaner. A shot with the pressure washer at the drive thru car washes and then some tire shine is all I've ever needed on my car or trailer.

I bet you don't wax your bilge either...

TMCNo1
07-17-2009, 10:59 AM
I've always used just soap and water to wash the entire tire/wheel, front/back , then wipe the white letters with lacquer thinner to make brilliant white, then apply a hefty coat of tire dressing/protectant on the front and back of the tire. For winter layup, I always apply protectant to the tire threads too.