PDA

View Full Version : Brookville Lake, Indiana

Footin
07-15-2009, 05:45 PM
Any go to Brookville Lake?

We love Cumberland, but Brookville is only about 2 hours away and thought of trying for a weekend.

MattsCraft
07-15-2009, 06:02 PM
Foot Man - I used to go every week, we now hit the river to ski/board (Licking) Brookville is a 5000 acre lake, however only about 2000 are used for full speed zones. Very crowded on the weekends between Noon and 4. Very clean lake, nice no wake zones to swim. It is pretty wide open, so when it is windy and crowded, huge chop. There are some large cruisers there, but they mostly just head to party cove and tie up. There are plenty of ramps, we use Bonwell near the dam, very short no wake zone though, a few crazys like any ramp, just keep a heads up, like always:rolleyes: (darn I/O's and river rats, a.k.a. wave runners!)

Weekdays or early mornings just before sunset are the best times to ski/board etc. We go early to board, swim hang out surf etc. in the afternoons when we go. Send me a PM if you decide to go, if we can we will join and show you the sights:D

92 190 PS
07-16-2009, 07:47 AM
At the risk of a secret getting out Footin I have another suggestion. We boat the Ohio River and there is no comparison to any lakes in our area (Ohio). Been to Brookville, Buck Creek, Ceasers Creek and several others and there is no comparison. The river where we are is an hour up river from Cincy and you can see your feet in the water, usually from mid-June on. 3 islands with sandy beaches within 10 miles of where we are and you can choose partying with others on the islands or a 5 minute boat ride to good water. With the river you're always an easy trip around a bend to find good water depending on wind direction.

Again, there is some risk to putting this on a website because we tell everyone we talk to the river is very muddy, tons of debris, lots of big scary barges and it smells. For the ones that have been there we ask them not to share their expierence with others.

If you're interested at all in more info on the river send me a PM and I'll get you some suggestions on ramps and points of interest.

bbymgr
07-16-2009, 08:05 AM
My sister and brother-in-law live next to Brookville Reservoir. It has white caps 75% of the time. It just gets way to choppy to do anything.

2RLAKE
07-16-2009, 08:23 AM
I used to ski on the Licking river all the time, still know people who do regularly because of the smooth water ... but i haven't had a boat home since the mid 90s ... head south almost every weekend to TN. I know some friends who go to Brookville during the week and they claim they can get nice water, but it is terribly crowded on the weekends

OH - the only state with no natural lakes and we are boaters!

Footin
07-16-2009, 07:13 PM
At the risk of a secret getting out Footin I have another suggestion. We boat the Ohio River and there is no comparison to any lakes in our area (Ohio). Been to Brookville, Buck Creek, Ceasers Creek and several others and there is no comparison. The river where we are is an hour up river from Cincy and you can see your feet in the water, usually from mid-June on. 3 islands with sandy beaches within 10 miles of where we are and you can choose partying with others on the islands or a 5 minute boat ride to good water. With the river you're always an easy trip around a bend to find good water depending on wind direction.

Again, there is some risk to putting this on a website because we tell everyone we talk to the river is very muddy, tons of debris, lots of big scary barges and it smells. For the ones that have been there we ask them not to share their expierence with others.

If you're interested at all in more info on the river send me a PM and I'll get you some suggestions on ramps and points of interest.

Close to what city or town?

jakethebt
07-16-2009, 07:23 PM
We are planning on heading to Brookville in a few weeks. Now I am wondering if we made the right choice, but we have few other options. I figured we would have to head out early to get good water. After that figured it would be a mess. May try and sneak out late Friday night, any chance of finding good water then?

92 190 PS
07-17-2009, 09:53 AM
Close to what city or town?

We're in Manchester Ohio. Around Ripley and Aberdeen Ohio and Maysville Ky. Awesome stretch of the river.

There are public launch ramps in Ripley, Aberdeen and Manchester.

There are two islands in Manchester and one more about 10 miles up river (Brush Creek).

Hoosier Bob
07-17-2009, 10:58 AM
We have a farm in Liberty which is right on Brookville. We have mountain bike trails and hiking. Brookville is very nice but get out very early to enjoy a decent ski then find the idle zone! Great for a night time cruise but my 190 and that lake do not mix. It get's rough. Look at which ramp you will use. If you are buy the golf course/condo's their ramp is in the busiest part of the lake and your boat will be getting hit with 3' wakes the entire time you are loading/unloading. There are quite a few launches. Very nice place however and the idle areas are huge. This makes for some nice floating! Have fun!We are planning on heading to Brookville in a few weeks. Now I am wondering if we made the right choice, but we have few other options. I figured we would have to head out early to get good water. After that figured it would be a mess. May try and sneak out late Friday night, any chance of finding good water then?

jakethebt
07-20-2009, 07:11 AM
We are planning on using the state park ramp, is that good or bad. Also, what is the best place to park at night? Do they have docks, anchor or just put it back on the trailer? 3' waves does not sound very fun... will we see that at the state park?

bbymgr
07-20-2009, 08:37 AM
We are planning on using the state park ramp, is that good or bad. Also, what is the best place to park at night? Do they have docks, anchor or just put it back on the trailer? 3' waves does not sound very fun... will we see that at the state park?

Most of the locals use the Hanna Creek Ramp on the east side of the lake. It is a very nice ramp and is in the idle zone of the main lake. Also, not as busy as the other ramps. Kent's Harbor Marina has boat slips, but I'm not sure on prices. Ainsley's is located at Kent's Harbor Marina for food and drinks on the water. Make sure to get a map of the lake before you go to spot all the idle zones. DNR patrols this lake quite a bit.

TnTWalter
08-01-2009, 06:15 PM
Brookville is our FAVORITE lake. Granted we don't have much choice in Indiana...but it's fantastic. Later in the day sure it can be busy and rough but even up until 1 or 2 it's perfect for skiing, wakeboarding or tubing.

Or should I agree with you all because we're keeping the folks out?

We love Brookville. If they ever allow development like they have on say Raccoon, we'll be first to sign up.... for now we camp there 2-3 times a summer and love it. The water is clear down to your toes in the middle of the lake.

Plus there's a nice restaurant by the condos, and a little ice cream / snack / hot dog shop by one of the marinas.

Go and enjoy!

Trish