PDA

View Full Version : Temp Alarm Engine Will Not Restart

jsun325
07-15-2009, 05:50 PM
We have a 1989 Pro Star 190. We were at the lake this weekend and boat was running well. I think I jinxed us because at the end of our day Saturday I said something to my wife about how it was hard to believe that the boat was 20 years old and it still ran and sounded as good as the day we bought. On to Sunday morning. We went out early to get a few runs in before we had to head home. After about an hour it start to rain so we high tailed it back to the dock. Everything was good, I was scanning the gauges all the way back (4 mile run) and no issues. As we got to the no wake bouys by the dock and I reduced speed the temp started rising. Within a few seconds the temp alarm started to sound and I immediately turned off the engine. We paddled to the dock and let the engine cool for at least an hour. When I turned the ignition on the temp was down to normal however I couldn't get the boat to start. It cranked fine but would not turnover. We had to tow the boat to the trailer and get it on there. Haven't had any time yet to look at it or see if it would start since we got home Sunday night.

Any thoughts? What should I look for or be careful of?

The boat has been maintained. Oil, filters and new water pump impeller at the end of last season (about 25 hours so far this year). Plugs and wires have about 50 hours on them. Converted to a breakless ignition about 6 years ago.

Thanks, John

ROB
08-07-2009, 11:16 AM
If you were only having temp problems at lower speed, I would be looking at your thermostat to make sure it's not faulty. Be sure there is no blockage at the thermostat housing. Bad seawater pump or recirculation pump are always possibilities as well. How is the water? Doesn't take alot to create a blockage with the intake. Have you tried to run the boat out of the water with a fake a lake or other method? Let her run to operating temp and keep your eye on your exhaust for plenty of water.

flipper
08-07-2009, 12:14 PM
Check the tranny cooler for weeds or something that is blocking it. Thermostat could be bad too.

hz900
08-10-2009, 03:13 PM
Check the tranny cooler for weeds or something that is blocking it. Thermostat could be bad too.

I'd start there for the overheating problem. However the boat should still run, no matter how hot it is, unless you run it so hot you blow something. If the engine is turning over, but not firing, I'd first check the safety switch (if you have one) that is next to the throttle. I have had issues with mine and it was still hooked up, but I had to unhook and then hook back up, or you can pull the wires off the back of it and jumper them. When tripped, this switch, if I recall correctly, will allow the starter to turn the engine over, but will cut the power to the coil. Easy way to see if you are getting spark is take spark plug boot off and hold screw driver in plug and bump engine over. It won't kill you but you will definetly feel it.

If you have spark, check the fuel lines. Take them loose at the fuel pump. I had mine get air locked one time and all the boat would do is turn over. Took line off to make sure I was getting fuel and then reattached and started right up.

If the boat does not turn over, ie the engine does not spin, check to make sure it is recognizing it is in neutral, then check your ingnition switch (rarely bad imo), then check to make sure you are getting a full 12 volts to your starter. This is all asuming that your battery is good.

JimN
08-10-2009, 03:50 PM
We have a 1989 Pro Star 190. We were at the lake this weekend and boat was running well. I think I jinxed us because at the end of our day Saturday I said something to my wife about how it was hard to believe that the boat was 20 years old and it still ran and sounded as good as the day we bought. On to Sunday morning. We went out early to get a few runs in before we had to head home. After about an hour it start to rain so we high tailed it back to the dock. Everything was good, I was scanning the gauges all the way back (4 mile run) and no issues. As we got to the no wake bouys by the dock and I reduced speed the temp started rising. Within a few seconds the temp alarm started to sound and I immediately turned off the engine. We paddled to the dock and let the engine cool for at least an hour. When I turned the ignition on the temp was down to normal however I couldn't get the boat to start. It cranked fine but would not turnover. We had to tow the boat to the trailer and get it on there. Haven't had any time yet to look at it or see if it would start since we got home Sunday night.

Any thoughts? What should I look for or be careful of?

The boat has been maintained. Oil, filters and new water pump impeller at the end of last season (about 25 hours so far this year). Plugs and wires have about 50 hours on them. Converted to a breakless ignition about 6 years ago.

Thanks, John

If you didn't leave the motor box open, it's probably vapor lock. Drip some gas into the carb and crank it. When it fires, give it some throttle and if it dies, repeat. A hot motor will boil the gas out of the carb pretty fast it allowed and at the same time, the gas will boil in the fuel line to the pump, causing a big bubble between that and the tank. It won't run on air, so.....

jsun325
08-10-2009, 06:23 PM
Thanks for the replys. I know my thermostat was bad put a new one in. I'm thinking that vapor lock was the issue. I was able to work on it this weekend and got it started. Runs good. Thanks again!