PDA

View Full Version : Some Advice Please

H2OGirl
06-01-2005, 10:10 AM
I tried out a ski this weekend, it was borrowed and I'm not sure exactly what is was, it was two boots not a RTP. The bindings were a little big but I made it work, now I would like to get my own ski. I am looking for some recommendations for ski/binding combinations. I am pretty much a beginner and will mostly be free skiing (I have no idea where there is a course anywhere close by). I am (no laughing now) 5'7" and weigh about 135lbs. I know the best thing to do would be to try out various skies, unfortunatetly that isn't so easy for me, we do not have a dealer in our area for watersports equipment that allows that sort of thing. Any advice or suggestions would be great. Feel free to e-mail or PM me also. CJothen@AOL.com

BrianM
06-01-2005, 11:30 AM
I would give Wiley's a call or go check out their site. www.wileyski.com (http://www.wileyski.com) They have some great deals on skis. My wife was in about the same situation and I bought her a KD3000 with double Wiley boots. It has been a great ski for her and will carry her well into the course. You also may want to consider one of the shaped skis if you mostly free ski. Talk to the people at Wiley's they are a great source of info and will be able to give you some other options as well.

H2OGirl
06-01-2005, 12:06 PM
Thanks, you are the second person who has suggested that.

jimmer2880
06-01-2005, 12:31 PM
My wife has a connelly mid-sx (shaped ski). I special ordered it with double high-wraps. That ski is amazing and perfect for her. It is course worthy under 32 mph, but (more importantly), absolutely the best intermediate ski. I take it out a couple times a year "just for giggles", it is really that much fun to ski.

AirJunky
06-01-2005, 12:40 PM
Talk to a dealer who knows skis & how to fit them. Wiley's has been doing it successfully for almost 40 years so they have a few happy customers out there. Plus their shop is not far from all the major ski manufacturing plants so they have great deals on blems & seconds. The fact that they make some of the most popular bindings around doesn't hurt either.

tex
06-01-2005, 12:44 PM
Talk to a dealer who knows skis & how to fit them. Wiley's has been doing it successfully for almost 40 years so they have a few happy customers out there. Plus their shop is not far from all the major ski manufacturing plants so they have great deals on blems & seconds. The fact that they make some of the most popular bindings around doesn't hurt either.

My wife loves the slalom bindings. I have 3 pairs of their jump bindings and kick ar$.

east tx skier
06-01-2005, 12:55 PM
I'll put in another plug for Wileys. Great to deal with and very knowledgable.

SteveO
06-01-2005, 12:57 PM
I give the Wiley high wraps thumbs up. Bought a KD 7000 w wraps last year and have been very happy.

LakePirate
06-01-2005, 01:00 PM
Love my Wiley's

Please post what you wind up buying and how you like it. The wife is looking at getting a beginning slalom.

H2OGirl
06-02-2005, 08:52 AM
Sounds like I should check out Wiley's, many many people have suggested them to me. I'll do that. I will tell what I decide on and how I like it. I imagine that a ski is going to be like my wakeboard, that because I don't really have much experience that whatever I end up with work fine for me, I'll adjust to it and learn to use it. It will be in a couple of years when I get better that if I try something new I'll be able to tell if I like it better or not. Just trying to gather some infor on what other people like and dislike for skies.

Monday I tried a ski with double boots, I liked that feel, even though they were too big for me. I have made that decision, I think I'll stick with two boots no RTP.

I wish I had a place closer that I could demo equipment, but the closest place is a couple of hours away, then I wouldn't have a boat to try it behind so that is kind of out of the question.

Farmer Ted
06-02-2005, 09:01 AM
I am (no laughing now) 5'7" and weigh about 135lbs...

You might need to post a picture of yourself so we can make an informed decision on which ski to recommed.... :dance:

....or you could call Wileys and speak with them you'll be guided in the right direction.

H2OGirl
06-03-2005, 10:12 AM
You might need to post a picture of yourself so we can make an informed decision on which ski to recommed.... :dance:

That would be easier if I wasn't always the one behind the camera, besides isn't that a little conceded?

Seriously I am looking to get a ski soon, I want to get comfortable on it this summer. Looking for what other people like and are using. I am a rookie to the the skiing sport so not really sure what is out there. Been doing lots of reading and searching the web, but after a while they all look the same. I realize what someone else likes, might not work for me. I hold no one responsible for any advice given. The biggest thing I want is a ski that might be a bit advanced for me I don't want to have to buy a new one in a year because I have advanced past this one. I want to learn to run the course, but mostly will be doing free skiing around the lake, unless I find a course near by.

00_x5
06-06-2005, 08:22 AM
Try something like the HO Rival with Animal or Venom bindings.

I have the new system 8 ordered :banana: but currently have the Rival. I think its great for what you are looking to do. Check out an HO dealer near you--they are normally pretty good about demoing.

I have been to Redline before and noticed that they will be providing your new boat. Check out their store on ebay, and talk to them, they should be able to help. I have a friend in Lake Geneva who deals with them. I am not from that area but hear good things.

BriEOD
06-06-2005, 08:30 AM
X5--Where in SC are you?

H2OGirl
06-06-2005, 09:19 AM
I will be trying out the HO Triamph 65" with double boot venoms. Any thoughts?

MarkP
06-06-2005, 09:21 AM
How big/what size are you?? Did you go by the HO size chart?? And can we get some photos??:)

H2OGirl
06-06-2005, 09:31 AM
Mark you didn't read the rest of the thread huh? I'm 5'7" and 135lbs and Farmer Ted has already told me I need to post picts. I'll tell you the same thing I told him, I'm always the one behind the camera and isn't that a little conceded of me to be putting pictures of myself up? Any thoughts on the ski? :D

H2OGirl
06-06-2005, 09:34 AM
Did I mention that I am going to be skiing my first tournament this weekend June 11. It is a fun team tournament. So I'll either do just fine or I'll make an A** out of myself. Never skied the course in my life so there will be lots of firsts for me.

JEREMY79
06-06-2005, 09:36 AM
go ahead and post the pic. We wont hold it against you for being conceded. Good luck in your tournament.

ski_king
06-06-2005, 09:39 AM
A 65 " sounds about right for you.

Mark, I think this (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=55789&postcount=824) is a picture of her.

Good luck and have fun in the tournament.!!

H2OGirl
06-06-2005, 10:04 AM
Mark, I think this (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=55789&postcount=824) is a picture of her.

.!!
Good memory, although I'll say not one of my best pictures, no shower in that picture or no sleep. We had just driven straight throught he night from WI to Tenn. I drove through a lot of the night.

JEREMY79
06-06-2005, 10:07 AM
whats the tattoo??

H2OGirl
06-06-2005, 10:18 AM
Which one? The one on my arm is a band of flowers. I have one on my foot of a beta fish, one on my ankle a moon with a rose wrapped around it and then a band of flowers around my ankle connecting to the moon. I have one on my shoulder a four leaf clover with the word lucky in it (I had a dalmation named Lucky and someone killed him). I have one on my hip a tibal dragon...born in the year of the dragon. Belly button and nipple pierced and thirteen total piercing in my ears. I think that does it for the body modifications.

MarkP
06-06-2005, 10:21 AM
whats the tattoo??
Iím done asking her for photos.. Someone else do it:uglyhamme

Lake_Tippy_Skier
06-06-2005, 10:23 AM
nipple pierced

ok mark.....i believe pics are in order

MarkP
06-06-2005, 10:25 AM
ok mark.....i belive pics are in order
Thanks

<duck and cover>

H2OGirl
06-06-2005, 10:27 AM
OK boys lets get back on track...I need a ski. Seriously how about some help with that?

I will post some pictures when I get some, promise. I'll have to get someone else to run the camara. Ah, but I don't think you'll see the nipple ring...I am married...only one man gets to see everything!! :D

H2OGirl
06-06-2005, 10:30 AM
You are good for a girls ego though :D

Now Mark why are you ducking and covering? Do you think I was irritated? Seriously I am always the one behind the camera, the only pictures I have of me are of me boarding and you really can't tell who is in the pictures, I know by the boards.

aprgriggs
06-06-2005, 10:52 AM
OK boys lets get back on track...I need a ski. Seriously how about some help with that?

I will post some pictures when I get some, promise. I'll have to get someone else to run the camara. Ah, but I don't think you'll see the nipple ring...I am married...only one man gets to see everything!! :D

Don't let these boys get to you....they are harmless, but they definately like to push the conversations. Be nice guys. :)

I just got a Mach 1 and I love it, however I think you will need a ski that is higher in performance if you are running tournaments. The HO Union boots are nice however they do grab the front of my a foot some. Plus the laces break very easy. Good Luck

JEREMY79
06-06-2005, 10:56 AM

Sorry, Thought I would ask. You sound like me I need a coulple more too!! ;) I cant help with a ski as I dont have one myslef.

H2OGirl
06-07-2005, 09:14 AM
I just got a Mach 1 and I love it, however I think you will need a ski that is higher in performance if you are running tournaments.
Let me clarify I do not plan on running in tournaments, this one I am skiing in this weekend is a team tournament and just a fun one. I have never in my life skied through the course, so this weekend should prove to be very interesting. The team must have at least one male, one female, and one child age 14 or younger. I don't plan on changing careers or getting into tournaments regularly. I am just going to try something new for fun we'll see how it goes. I just like to ski, and want a good ski that I am not going to out grow in a year as I get better.

Lake_Tippy_Skier
06-07-2005, 09:54 AM
this is the ski (http://www.bartswatersports.com/catalog/Water_Skis/Slalom_Water_Skis/O'Brien_2005_Siege_Slalom_Water_Ski/index.asp) that i started out with before i moved to the mapple a couple of years ago. and now my wife uses it all the time. she lov.es the feel of the ski, it light and quick

H2OGirl
06-07-2005, 10:14 AM
Alright guys go check swimsuit thread as promised a swimsuit picture of me. It's not the greatest but it will have to do for now. Summer is young yet.

Thank you for the help with the ski.

H2OGirl
06-15-2005, 11:39 PM
I decided on a ski, the 65" Triumph from HO with the double boot venom's. I got to try the ski out this weekend at the tournament I skied in. I liked the feel of it, I believe it is a shaped ski. Now all I need a is a course that is closer then three hours away and I'd be set. Any thoughts on the ski selection?

Cloaked
06-15-2005, 11:54 PM
I decided on a ski, the 65" Triumph from HO with the double boot venom's. I got to try the ski out this weekend at the tournament I skied in. I liked the feel of it, I believe it is a shaped ski. Now all I need a is a course that is closer then three hours away and I'd be set. Any thoughts on the ski selection?The 65" is a quick ski by it's length alone. A 66" with your build (thanks for the pic) will do you justice as a intermediate skier. You'll like the 65 once you get used to how quick it gets you through a turn and back across. If it feels good.. ride it... :uglyhamme

You may very well not like a 66". It's all in what you like....

LakePirate
07-05-2005, 11:01 PM
H2OGirl - How is that ski working out for you?

Does anyone have experience with the KD3000?
I am somewhat partial to KD/Kidder

The wife is ready to learn to slalom and the XL high wraps on the CR7 is probably not the best ski to learn on.

BrianM
07-06-2005, 12:13 PM
Does anyone have experience with the KD3000?
I am somewhat partial to KD/Kidder

I bought my wife a KD3000 at the begining of last season with Wiley Highwraps. She loves it. The ski was stable enough when she was still learning to just ride the ski and make turns but is plenty agressive now that she is working on the course. The ski is very predictable but has the performance when needed. From what Wileys told me it should do great into 28 off if she can ski that well.

LakePirate
07-06-2005, 12:15 PM
What size did you buy? The wife is 5'11 and skinny

LakePirate
07-25-2005, 05:39 PM
well I bought her a HO Esprit with Wileys...I hope she likes it.

propstruk
07-26-2005, 03:15 PM
I started on an HO fusion years ago. It was one step above the Esprit. It took me from beginner into 28off. A girl that I skied with at that time was skiing on an Esprit. She was about the same height as your wife and that ski fit her very well for a beginner. I think she had just started getting into 22off on it when we quit skiing together.

H2OGirl
08-02-2005, 10:57 AM
The ski is working out great for me, I really enjoy it. I don't get to ski as much as I'd like too. I have to admitt I do a lot more wakeboarding. I did break one of the binding though. I think it is fixable I just don't know how. I pulled one of the laces out of the plastic thing that holds the laces together, it looks like it should maybe come apart so I can just put it back in. I still use the binding I just have to be really carefull I don't loosen it up too much or I'll pull the lace out.

I could really use some skiing lessons now!!

propstruk
08-02-2005, 05:23 PM
Lake Pirate - Has the wife learned to ride the new ski yet?