PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilt Holley 4010 won't run right...help?

scottlippman
07-15-2009, 12:34 AM
My 93 pro star 205 has run like a clock...flawless for all these years. Almost 2000 hours but he compression is still 150 in each cylinder. Last year I had to have the carb rebuilt (Holley 4010). It has never been the same. Two issues:

1. I have inconsistent idle (on minute it's at 750 then I run it and it returns to 1000, then the next time it settles in at 600). The lean rich mixture has been adjusted properly and there are no mechanical binds.

2. The top end used to max out at around 4400 rpm....now it run up to 4000, sits there for 15 seconds then runs on up to 4400. I've checked everything I can think of. Float levels, fuel, timing, timing advance, compression, plugs, wires, vacuum leak, (I've even checked for thermal vacuum leaks), fuel filters...they all check out or have been replaced.

I have heard the the Holley 4010 dual feed carb is a great carb when it works but after they have been rebuilt it's hit or miss. Has anyone heard this too? I hate to have to buy a new carb but this one is driving me nuts. Any suggestions???

Thanks

etduc
07-15-2009, 10:06 AM
My 93 pro star 205 has run like a clock...flawless for all these years. Almost 2000 hours but he compression is still 150 in each cylinder. Last year I had to have the carb rebuilt (Holley 4010). It has never been the same. Two issues:

1. I have inconsistent idle (on minute it's at 750 then I run it and it returns to 1000, then the next time it settles in at 600). The lean rich mixture has been adjusted properly and there are no mechanical binds.

2. The top end used to max out at around 4400 rpm....now it run up to 4000, sits there for 15 seconds then runs on up to 4400. I've checked everything I can think of. Float levels, fuel, timing, timing advance, compression, plugs, wires, vacuum leak, (I've even checked for thermal vacuum leaks), fuel filters...they all check out or have been replaced.

I have heard the the Holley 4010 dual feed carb is a great carb when it works but after they have been rebuilt it's hit or miss. Has anyone heard this too? I hate to have to buy a new carb but this one is driving me nuts. Any suggestions???

Thanks

Buy one of these 4160 CARBURETOR 4V GM 350/FORD 351, worth every penny. Your life, will be better.

MCVOLS
07-15-2009, 11:57 AM
There is quite a bit of info on here about the 4010 v 4160, with most opinions in favor of the 4160. I have no experience with the 4160, but also have had no issues with the 4010 in the 16+ seasons with the 4010. I also have a '93 PS205, with 640 hrs, and only rebuilt my 4010 this spring. I was not having much trouble out of it, other than warm starts. After the re-build, it is back to no issues what so ever, runs like a top, smooth idle, no stalls, etc.

Perhaps it could be the re-build itself?

jake
07-15-2009, 01:04 PM
I had great results with a rebuild on my 4110 last summer. Runs great. I know the majority opinion leans towards the 4160 on this board, but my dealer said the 4110 is a great carb, no need to switch.

GuitsBoy
07-15-2009, 01:50 PM
I switched from the 4010 to a rebuilt 4160, and many of the idle issues remained. Looks like most of the problems were actually ignition related, and not the carb at all! How new are your plugs/wires/cap/rotor/coil ?

scottlippman
07-15-2009, 03:54 PM
Thanks and congratulations to those of you that have no issues with the 4010. I haven't either for the last 16 years and 1950 hours...until the rebuild. Not to shabby and I really should complain too much. The first consideration was the rebuild but the guy that did it has been rebuilding carbs around here since before I was born and every single auto and marine shop sends their carbs to him. He's done everything he can for me with the exception of rebuilding it again.

I've done all I know to do with regard to the ignition. New plugs, cap, wires, rotor and the centrifugal advance springs seem to be fine. I have not changed the coil but I can't understand how that would influence these issues. Insight there would be appreciated.

I've even checked the timing at idle and at high speed and then back to idle. All timing issues seem to be in good order.

Anyone know where I can borrow a 4160 to try and see if it fixes everything or not. I'd hate to buy a new carb and find out the issues still remain.

Thanks again to all.

GuitsBoy
07-15-2009, 04:31 PM
I actually just replaced my coil with a new one, which turned out to be a dud. With the new coil installed every time I put the hammer down, it seems the spark was getting doused. And the motor wouldnt turn above 3000 rpm. It really felt like a fueling issue, however as soon as I put the old coil back in, it ran as normal. Im not saying that this is your problem, but I guarantee that many people think they have a carb problem but really have a spark problem.

scottlippman
07-16-2009, 09:17 AM
I don't disagree at all, Guits. Thanks for the input.