PDA

View Full Version : Gelcoat cracks around rudder plate - anyone else?

P-hat_in_Cincy
08-16-2004, 01:03 PM
I have 3 gelcoat cracks migrating from my rudder plate. It appears they are starting at the thru bolts. Is anyone else experiencing this?
BTW - it's a 2002 X10 with a little over 250hrs on it.

MarkP
08-16-2004, 02:36 PM
P hat

Are all of the bolts tight

NatesGr8
08-16-2004, 08:23 PM
I have some on my boat. Also have some around where the pitot tubes are screwed to the boat. However my boat is a bit older than yours, it's a 94 prostar.

P-hat_in_Cincy
08-16-2004, 08:29 PM
P hat

Are all of the bolts tight

Mark,
A quick hand check says yes. I don't want to put a wrench on them in case they are too tight already.

Here are a few pictures. Upon further review, there are actually 4 cracks.

MarkP
08-17-2004, 09:07 AM
I just went down to my boat and I donít have anything like that. (But my prop is loose). So thanks for sending me down to look.

Have you owned that boat for all of its hrs? To look at your rudder you cant see any signs of impact.

LakeLottawatta
08-17-2004, 10:01 AM
P-hat,
Might be that the gel is too thick in the area, you might have "touched" bottom somewhere along the line, but might be sign of other problems. It is difficult to tell from the pictures. Your best bet is to drop by Haynes in Milford and have them take a look at it.
Good Luck

Jorski
08-17-2004, 10:13 AM
I would have the dealer look at it and contact Mastercraft. That shouldn't happen. Even if the boat is out of warranty, there is such a thing as implied warranty. This means that there is a fair expectation about what a product should do and shouldn't do.

I would pursue it.

chris.willman
08-17-2004, 11:23 AM
Lakelottawatta,

Have you used Haynes for Gel work?. I assume they are the guys in Mt. Repose off of 28? I live very close and always see inboards sitting in his lot. I assumed he must be good. I don't need any gel work, but always nice to know about a good source.

BTW, where is Overpeck, and where do you ski?

LakeLottawatta
08-17-2004, 11:49 AM
Yes, Haynes is off of 28 in milford.
Haynes is nothing short of awesome. I have seen more of their phenominal work than you can shake a stick at. They have done several things for me, from a minor white gel repair, to repairing a serious deep into the fiberglass gouge, to replacing full length stringers, floor, etc. All work has been exactly as I had expected. Now with the downside, they are also the most expensive. All I can say is that you get what you pay for.

BTW, chris, check your private messages, I sent you one the other day!

P-hat_in_Cincy
08-17-2004, 07:54 PM
Mark P...glad the post helped you out.
Lake...no bottom touching here! There's another place off Rte. 4 (north of Hern Marine) that my boat is going to in a couple of weeks (due to dealer mishap :mad: ). I can't remmember the name. Would you know, and would you know anything about them?
Jorski...already working on that. Thanks for the advice.

MarkP
08-17-2004, 08:21 PM
I got it all tightened up. Actually would have been a good time to change a prop as I could have gotten away without a puller

LakeLottawatta
08-18-2004, 08:08 AM
Phat, yes I know there is a place on rt.4 doing glass work, but I have never inspected any of their work, so I can't comment on it.

"Hern"...... and "dealer mishap" in the same post?????...I don't believe it.
(Sarcasm)