PDA

View Full Version : 92 PS 205 Soft Floor

MCBarefoot311
07-13-2009, 10:57 PM
Hey guys,

Been doing alot of research on my new boat. Just picked up a 1992 Prostar 205 and it has a soft spot in the floor behind the engine cover in between the rear seat. I have read on here on one post that this is normal and I am not to worried about it, as I know I can fix it, but I wanted some opinions.

I was thinking about using the general marine plywood, but come on, I think this boat deserves much better! So what I was thinking is using either a steel plate or maybe aluminum. I want something that will be stronger and give a lot less than the plywood will. Also, there is absolutely no bracing underneath that area and it concerns me to put plywood on there and just let it sag...

Could really use some good opinions on this one.

Also, all of the carpet is going to be replaced, and I found a good deal on the carpet so not to worried about that. But would like to know what kind of cost everyone thinks for re doiing the vinyl. I am planning on pulling all of the seat off and cutting the stitching apart to use the old vinyl as a pattern. I have a close friend that can sew for me for really cheap, but how much vinyl do I need and what type of cost am I looking at?

Thanks guys!

Jeremy

boyd
07-13-2009, 11:23 PM
A buddy of mine replaced a soft spot on his Supra and used a material I'd call PVC plywood.
Same material as PVC pipe but it comes in sheets like plywood. Cuts very easily, very strong and of course..... waterproof.
It worked great.

Boyd

loeweb
07-13-2009, 11:51 PM
I had the same problem on my 88. I didn't want to recarpet the whole boat, and didn't want the carpet to look funny in one spot so I ended up routering out four or five channels on the underside of the piece, let it dry out for a couple of days, filled with dowel (5/8"?), gorilla glued in place, and covered with fiberglass. Worked wonderfully, and haven't had any problems since. Kind of a hodge podge way to go, but the only one that compained about it to begin with was me anyways, so who else needs to know.

Footin
07-13-2009, 11:55 PM
I replaced part of the floor in my old MC, I used regular (not treated) 3/4 plywood. I then painted it with fiberglass resign on both sides.

I was able to salvage the carpet off the piece I replaced and glued it on the new piece.

east tx skier
07-14-2009, 11:26 AM
Maybe a nice piece of HDPE and reinforce it crosswise between the stringers. I'm assuming the original piece is that honeycomb aluminum?

MCBarefoot311
07-14-2009, 05:02 PM
Yeah the old piece is the honeycomb aluminum with the wood core. that whole piece from the motor box back is completley shot, so i am going to have to do something. I dont know if there is going to be any way to reinforce it though, because of how close it sits to the drive shaft and the exhaust.

I will keep you guys posted with what I decide to do!

Thanks,

Jeremy

east tx skier
07-14-2009, 05:50 PM
I think some cross supports of whatever material would be sufficient to increase its rigidity. Just give the thing some ribs basically.

Tennesseeski
07-25-2009, 12:39 AM
Maybe a nice piece of HDPE and reinforce it crosswise between the stringers. I'm assuming the original piece is that honeycomb aluminum?

What is this HDPE you speak of ?? I have the honeycomb aluminum and would like to repair/replace/redo/fix mine also.

JohnE
07-25-2009, 12:48 AM
What is this HDPE you speak of ?? I have the honeycomb aluminum and would like to repair/replace/redo/fix mine also.

High Density Poly Etheylne I believe. I have no idea where to buy it. But Eastie will be back I'm sure. (After he gets back from test driving the 200:D)

Tennesseeski
07-25-2009, 01:18 AM
I have never heard of that so hopefully Eastie will have some more info for us when he gets back!!! Now if my rich uncle could just get out of the poor house and give me a couple grand, I could fix all the little things about my boat and trailer that I don't like!

dfd22120
07-25-2009, 09:59 AM
I had the same issue with my '96 205 last year. I peeled the carpet back so I could access the honeycomb and put a large amount of the 3m 5200 adhesive on it. Then I measured the clearance I had between the decking and exhaust. I beleive it was about 1" so I bought some 3/4" aluminum angle and square tubing from NAPA. I notched the ends of them to fit under the decking and sit on the lip on the sides. I then glued the angle to the decking with the 3m 5200. So far no sagging and I pulled it up this spring and the angle was still securely "glued" to the decking.

Tennesseeski
07-26-2009, 12:46 AM
That sounds like an option I will consider also.

east tx skier
07-27-2009, 11:54 AM
High Density Poly Etheylne I believe. I have no idea where to buy it. But Eastie will be back I'm sure. (After he gets back from test driving the 200:D)

It's the stuff they make those white cutting boards from. Not exactly light material, but it seems strong and is waterproof.