PDA

View Full Version : Help with Ipod cable AGAIN

surfacetension
07-13-2009, 06:43 PM
I just got my cable from Crutchfield and NO luck. the Ipod can see the Clairion but I can't get it to play, Crutchfield said only the CDM 4A will work with an Ipod I have a CDM 4????

The little 3.5 MM jack in the boat is for $hit and cuts one channel in and out, I ordered a new cable but I HATE the 3.5 conecction in the boat. I have no other inputs in the back of the radio or amp. Should I pull the 3.5 jack out and Try to hard wire it to the boat ?? Major Pain in the A$$ to even figure out how to get to the back of the jack under the thottle???

nmcjr
07-13-2009, 06:56 PM
Out of curiosity, does it play WAV/MP3 CD's? Not nearly the song capacity, but will fit over 100 songs, which is about as long as most of my playlists anyway. Plus, the sound quality would be much better, as would the volume level...just a thought. FYI, if it does, you may have to burn in ISO9660 format or it won't read the disc (this is the case with my older Clarion anyway).

surfacetension
07-13-2009, 07:04 PM
I have a cd player I want to connect my Ipod can anyone tell me how to get the 3.5 jack out from under the thottle? It has 2 Phillips screws???????????? I

bigmac
07-13-2009, 07:09 PM
I just got my cable from Crutchfield and NO luck. the Ipod can see the Clairion but I can't get it to play, Crutchfield said only the CDM 4A will work with an Ipod I have a CDM 4????

The little 3.5 MM jack in the boat is for $hit and cuts one channel in and out, I ordered a new cable but I HATE the 3.5 conecction in the boat. I have no other inputs in the back of the radio or amp. Should I pull the 3.5 jack out and Try to hard wire it to the boat ?? Major Pain in the A$$ to even figure out how to get to the back of the jack under the thottle???

Which CeNET adapter did you end up ordering? Was it the EA1251?

I don't understand why you don't just skip the mini-jack in the throttle panel and plug a dock adapter right into your AUX-IN RCA plugs...

http://www.ramelectronics.net/renderImage.image?imageName=products/ipod/ipod-x-nuetrik-dock-to-rca.jpg&width=300&height=200&padding=0

Justjoe
07-13-2009, 07:14 PM
It's a jack problem. Probably at the site that you plug into the mini jack. Mess with that first. If the mini jack is only catching one channel some of the time it is probably not getting fully inserted.

This is not uncommon. It's the jack. It's just wiggled loose and is falling back in behind the apholstery.

surfacetension
07-13-2009, 07:23 PM
Bmac I DON"T have any where to plug the RCA's in. The only thing coming out of the radio is the 2 speaker conections for the tower speakers thats it I have tried a 3.5 to rca in those with no luck

btriantos
07-13-2009, 07:30 PM
what exactly did you buy from Crutchfield? I have bought two Clarion adapters from them, and I like the one I have now, but my other one is now discunnected (Clarion EA1251B) It makes the ipod look like a six CD changer, where the new one does not. Maybe the 1251B is what will work with your deck. I have an '07 x30 so I don't know if I have the A or non A version of the Claion deck

surfacetension
07-13-2009, 07:55 PM
I found the wire to the 3.5 jack and pluged into that with a RCA to 3.5 cable and the Ipod plays thru the stereo but I have to control the ipod from the ipod and not the radio .. ANYWAY It gets me past that crappy 3.5 jack under the thottle so I'm all good

Thanks for the help

btriantos
07-13-2009, 08:03 PM
The EA1251 allows you to control the ipod and 6 playlist from the driver's remote, but the CCAIPOD is the one I have now that works much better.

surfacetension
07-13-2009, 08:29 PM
Will the EA 1251 work on a CDM -4?? Right now I.m, plugged into the ipod with a 3.5 jack and to AUX with rca jacks , I'm a LOW tech guy TRAPPED in a HIGH tech world. All I want is for my Ipod to play on my stereo W/O one channel cuttting out I won't mind opening the glove box door to control the I pod, the Vol. and the rest I can run from the drivers seat . I'm good with that

Thanks again for the help

bigmac
07-13-2009, 08:54 PM
Will the EA 1251 work on a CDM -4?? Right now I.m, plugged into the ipod with a 3.5 jack and to AUX with rca jacks , I'm a LOW tech guy TRAPPED in a HIGH tech world. All I want is for my Ipod to play on my stereo W/O one channel cuttting out I won't mind opening the glove box door to control the I pod, the Vol. and the rest I can run from the drivers seat . I'm good with that

Thanks again for the helpThe EA1251 works with the CMD4 (or so they say). The CCA-IPOD works with the CMD4A and CMD5. The CMD6 has a direct USB connection.

Don't know what to say about your AUX IN, except to say that that is where the 3.5 minijack plugs into the radio, so you have to have one.

This is a schematic from the installation manual from the CMD4.

bigmac
07-13-2009, 09:00 PM
The EA1251 allows you to control the ipod and 6 playlist from the driver's remote, but the CCAIPOD is the one I have now that works much better.

CCA-IPOD won't work with CMD4

proporjet
07-14-2009, 12:36 AM
Another option...
I had the 3.5 female connector go bad on my 08 X2 as well. I loosened the whole panel (3.5 female, throttle, armrest...) by removing the torx screws (don't forget the hidden screw behind the lower speaker on the 08 X2 anyway). I then found that the long cable that is routed around the bow from the AUX output to the 3.5 input under the thread was a female RCA anyway. There is a couple feet of cable tie wrapped up under the panel. If you want, just get an RCA to male 3.5 that plugs directly into the IPOD. Or, get an RCA to IPOD connector. You can leave the Clarion Aux 3.5 mounted to cover the hole. The long cable can be routed out the existing hole under the dash connected to the new connector and lay it whereever... just another option.

btriantos
07-14-2009, 12:43 AM
If you haven't bought the CCAIPOD interface cable yet, I would try it first. Like I said, my Clarion is a CDM4,(not sure if it's a A or not), and both of these work fine. The one nice things about the 1251 is that you can select your playlist (1of 6) from the drivers remote, con is that you have to make playlist names like clarion1, clarion2, etc. The CCAIPOD cable will play your existing playlists, but the playlists themselves need to be selected at the deck. Another cool part about it though, is that you can see song names, artists, etc, on the drivers remote display. It is very easy to pause your mix as well from the remote. The best part about the CCAIPOD interface cable is that is't only $45 v the 1251 at ~$100.00.

btriantos
07-14-2009, 12:46 AM
surfacetension. I will give you a deal on the 1251 if you are interested.. Let me know

surfacetension
07-14-2009, 09:51 AM
I'm all good I found the AUX plugs from the 3.5 plug and have a 3.5 cable to rca jack works fine thanks for your help

bigmac
07-14-2009, 10:04 AM
Not sure how much you care, but you'll get a much cleaner signal, and independent of the iPod's volume control, if you hook your AUX-IN to the iPod's dock connector rather than the headphone jack.

mgurley
07-14-2009, 10:42 AM
Clarion's M309 and CMD6 are said to give you full ipod control through the head unit/lcd remote...however they still have not released the remote yet Clarion MW1

bturner2
07-14-2009, 12:16 PM
Been waiting on the MW1 for about 6 weeks now. I was recently told it wouldn't be out until middle of August. PITA until then. Hope it's worth the wait.

mgurley
07-14-2009, 12:20 PM
Been waiting on the MW1 for about 6 weeks now. I was recently told it wouldn't be out until middle of August. PITA until then. Hope it's worth the wait.

Me and you both...I've already moved it to the winter project list. :mad:

btriantos
07-14-2009, 12:23 PM
I'm all good I found the AUX plugs from the 3.5 plug and have a 3.5 cable to rca jack works fine thanks for your help

So, this option works, but you still have to go to the ipod to change your songs, etc. Is that what you want to do, or do you want to control the ipod from the driver's remote?

surfacetension
07-14-2009, 01:03 PM
No I'm fine with running the Ipod this way I think the problem with the cables are that they work on a Clairion 4A but not on a Clairion 4 , All I want is to be able to put it on shuffle and go .
The way this whole thing started was that the 3.5 mm jack under the thottle was not a good tight fit and one channel would cut out , I couldn't find out where to plug to AUX but I found it last night . so I'm past the little 3.5 and I have it wired right to the unit I have 1579 songs and just use it on shuffle alot. I'm going to run the cable thru the drain in the glove box we never put anything wet in there .. So all I would need to do is open the glove box to access the Ipod

bigmac
07-14-2009, 01:09 PM
Because this issue keeps coming up, it would be helpul if you could tell us what head unit you have, 4 or 4A, and what CeNET adapter you ordered that you said didn't work.

The front panel of the head unit should be labeled either CMD4 or CMD4A. The adapter you ordered should have been either an EA1251 or a CCA-IPOD.

How about a little help? Provide that information...

surfacetension
07-14-2009, 01:14 PM
I have a Clairion 4 I'm all good as far as how it's hooked up now thanks

bigmac
07-14-2009, 01:46 PM
I have a Clairion 4 I'm all good as far as how it's hooked up now thanks

And what CeNET adapter was it you just ordered that you said didn't work with that CMD4?

surfacetension
07-15-2009, 09:10 AM
I sent it back it was a CCAIPOD Part # 020CCAIPOD The guy I delt with did some checking and did find a cable that would work but it was 100 bucks so I passed , As I said all I wanted to do was by pass the 3.5 under the thottle which I did . You were a big help thanks
Mark

bigmac
07-15-2009, 09:43 AM
I sent it back it was a CCAIPOD Part # 020CCAIPOD The guy I delt with did some checking and did find a cable that would work but it was 100 bucks so I passed , As I said all I wanted to do was by pass the 3.5 under the thottle which I did . You were a big help thanks
Mark

Thanks for the info. That jives with Crutchfield's and Clarions's info that the CCA-IPOD will only work with the CMD4A and CMD5. The EA1251(B) CeNET adapter would work with the CMD4, allowing control of the iPod from the head unit and remote, but is indeed $100.

Glad you got it all sorted out to your satisfaction.

btriantos
07-15-2009, 11:23 AM
I have the EA1251 in case anyone is interested (only used about two months). Best Offer. I preferred the CCAIPOD connector. So, for those who have the CMD4, it's a good option.

Sodar
07-15-2009, 11:40 AM
OK... I am confused.... Imagine that, huh?

I am about 90% sure that I have an EA1251 in my boat, however, after reading through the functions of the EA1251 and the CCAIPOD, I believe that I have the CCAIPOD. On my Clarion Deck (CMD4A), I connect my iPod, push the iPod button and have full control of the iPod menu through the headunit... in other words, it does not act as a 6-disc changer, like the description reads.

What am I missing here? I am tempted to buy the CCAIPOD because the housing is smaller and I could hide it better, but am I gaining any functionality with the CCAIPOD over the EA1251?

btriantos
07-15-2009, 11:46 AM
Yes, the EA1251 emulates a disc CD changer. You see the songs as a CD on the drivers remote. You have to make six playlists in a certain format for it to recognize the playlists. The CCAIPOD does not have this limitation, and will display song names, artists, etc on the drivers remote display. I like this much better.

Sodar
07-15-2009, 11:50 AM
Yes, the EA1251 emulates a disc CD changer. You see the songs as a CD on the drivers remote. You have to make six playlists in a certain format for it to recognize the playlists. The CCAIPOD does not have this limitation, and will display song names, artists, etc on the drivers remote display. I like this much better.

My EA1251 already does this on the driver's remote. It scrolls through the Artist and Song. I do not have full control on my remote as I do on the headunit, but I can go forward and backward on the selected artist, album or playlist.

Basically what I am saying is that the EA1251 seems to be performing for me identical to the description of the CCAIPOD, but the housing is a bit larger than the CCAIPOD... other than that, the functionality is the same.

btriantos
07-15-2009, 04:22 PM
My EA1251 already does this on the driver's remote. It scrolls through the Artist and Song. I do not have full control on my remote as I do on the headunit, but I can go forward and backward on the selected artist, album or playlist.

Basically what I am saying is that the EA1251 seems to be performing for me identical to the description of the CCAIPOD, but the housing is a bit larger than the CCAIPOD... other than that, the functionality is the same.

Interesting. I could never get my EA1251 to display anything other than track time info, but the CCAAIPOD does. The other PITA is renaming six playlists and remembering what they are instead of the playlist name you already know... Like Cruising/Wakeboarding/Surfing, instead of Clarion1, clarion2, clarion3, etc

Sodar
07-15-2009, 04:34 PM
I am interested, now. I am going to check it out when I get in the boat this weekend.

Sodar
07-21-2009, 02:48 PM
All has been confirmed.

1) I have a CMD4A.
2) I have a EA1251.
3) I have an iPod Classic
4) I have the ability to view 4 things on my remote (Song, Artist, Album or Track Number of the Playlist) Changes when pushing the DISP button.
5) I have full iPod menu control via the headunit. Dial to scroll, forward track to select, etc.
6) I can turn random and repeat on via the headunit for iPod playlist playback.
7) I have these controls on the remote... forward, back, play, pause, mute, volume up and volume down when in iPod mode

btriantos
07-21-2009, 03:52 PM
All has been confirmed.

1) I have a CMD4A. - Same2) I have a EA1251. - Had this
3) I have an iPod Classic - Last gen nano4) I have the ability to view 4 things on my remote (Song, Artist, Album or Track Number of the Playlist) Changes when pushing the DISP button.- Never got this to work
5) I have full iPod menu control via the headunit. Dial to scroll, forward track to select, etc. - All controls are locked out. Only remote and head unit control
6) I can turn random and repeat on via the headunit for iPod playlist playback. - Same7) I have these controls on the remote... forward, back, play, pause, mute, volume up and volume down when in iPod mode Same
Interesting!

Sodar
07-21-2009, 04:01 PM
Same
Interesting!

Very interesting.

My girlfriend could not figure out what I was doing when I was crawling under the observer's storage area looking to see which iPod interface I had! 8p

sctommy@aol.com
07-21-2009, 05:06 PM
type of radio do you have

bigmac
07-21-2009, 05:45 PM
huh?

:confused:

brucemac
07-21-2009, 06:31 PM
i've never seen an ipod interface i liked other than the ipod itself. you guys must get used to it and get fast at it. i find them cumbersome and frustrating. i just use an after-market adapter that charges as well as plays through the usb dock connector.

btriantos
07-21-2009, 11:39 PM
Very interesting.

My girlfriend could not figure out what I was doing when I was crawling under the observer's storage area looking to see which iPod interface I had! 8p

I know the feeling. I installed a new amp and capicitors a couple of weeks ago. A seven hour project. I think I'm still sore from it!

Harry Reynolds
11-12-2009, 08:50 PM
Ok, just to make sure this horse is dead, let's take a couple more swings...

I have a CMD4
I want to run my IPOD through the stereo
I want to control my IPOD through the remote
I think I want an EA1251B

Am I correct??

Thanks guys!!

bturner2
11-13-2009, 08:19 AM
I have a iPOD control box from a 2008 Clarion stereo that I'm not using. It worked when I took it out of my 03 X2 when I sold it last year.

I upgraded the stereo in the spring of 08 and traded in the boat in the spring 09. The dealer told me he didn't care about the iPOD adapter so I kept it.

I planned to use it with the CMD4 in the new 07 X2 but decided to upgrade to the new Clarion CMD6 which has native support for iPODs so I no longer need the adapter. I also have the old CMD4 if anyone needs/wants that also.