PDA

View Full Version : 87 prostar transmission

deereman
07-13-2009, 03:03 PM
We have the boat at the marina right now and we need to replace the transmission. For those of you who have done this, what did you do with it--rebuild or buy new? What is the average cost to fix it? We have a 351 with a powerslot. Appreciate the replied as we are trying to fix it as soon as possible. Thanks. Different topic, but did the 87's come with the neutral safety lock on the throttle? Ours doesn't have it so it makes me nervous letting other people drive it because you can easily go from forward to reverse without stopping.

ProStar Slalom
07-13-2009, 07:21 PM
The original neutral safety is a button (push/pull) an inch or so in front of the throttle arm. Not sure about rebuild costs, but I'm guessing around $500-750 or so.

lilsumo
07-14-2009, 10:24 AM
I just recently rebuilt my power slot tranny. It took me about 8 hours to do it all, that's pulling it out, tearing it down, cleaning all the parts, reassembly, and installing it back in the boat. Worked on it all day on a Saturday, I was by myself also, and was in the water Sunday. All you really need to do it, beside simple hand tools, is a good pair of internal and external snap ring pliers and a air compressor. There are free manuals on the tranny all over the internet. It is a very simple and straight forward.

It cost me 210 dollars for everything shipped, and I needed a ready sleeve($40), that included a gallon of fluid.

I encourage everyone to do it there self, but if you don't want to tackle the project, I would suggest sending it Eric Lavine in Medina Ohio, I can get you all his info if you like.

rholmes
07-14-2009, 10:44 AM
x2 on Eric, it would be well worth your time and money to ship him the tranny if you are looking for a reliable place to have it done. He can actually take yours as a core I believe and ship you one out when your old one gets in (IIRC, things could have changed). He has been doing them for eons and is well know for his work on trannies for us inboard guys. He did one for me years ago on our old Supra.

deereman
07-14-2009, 08:48 PM
Actually, we just ordered a brand new one and it hopefully will be at the marina by Friday and we should get the boat back by Monday or tuesday. In the end, with parts and labor, it's gonna be about $4000. We figured a new one was a better way to go than rebuilding it.