PDA

View Full Version : 2008 and newer Gas Filling on PS197

Andyg
07-13-2009, 02:13 PM
Mastercraft changed the design of the fuel filling hose on the 2008 PS197s. I believe it was an attempt to correct the problem of back splashing out the filling tube when you are filling it. The new filler tube seems to work better than the design on my 2003 and 2007 for eliminating the back splash problem however another problem has arisen. The new design has a vent in the side of the hull for the gas tank instead of venting through the gas cap. The first fall that I winterized my 2008 (fall 2008) I topped the tank off. A couple of days later I noticed gas pouring out the vent and down the side of the boat. It was warmer that day than normal so I am sure the gas expanded and pushed its way out the vent. My local dealer said they were aware of the issue, but MC didn't have a fix for it yet. When I took my boat in this spring they said the MC came out with a fix to correct the problem. It is hard to tell if the problem is gone as it only seems to do it in the fall with dramatic temperature changes.

The fix that was instituted has created what I think is a bigger problem. Now when filling the tank instead of the gas coming up the fill tube to shut off the gas pump it starts dumping gas out the vent. It comes out pretty rapidly and ends up spraying all over my feet and the side of the boat. Has anyone else had this problem with their 197s? I would hate to try and fill this boat up on the water as I am sure I would create one serious gas slick. I looked at putting in one of the fuel vent over flow protectors, but due to the height of the tank and the location of the vent it cannot be installed per the manufactures recommendations. The inline vent surge protector needs to be vertical and there just isn't enough room in a 197 to install it in the vent hose in a vertical position per the installation instrucstions. Anyone have any ideas how to stop gas from pouring out the vent during filling?

Thanks

Andyg

MariStar-Man
05-25-2010, 01:58 AM
I'm sorry that the "New" Design still doesn't do the trick...

i was at Costco getting GAS, and like usual no matter how many paper towels i put around the nozzle, the gas inevitably backsplashes and runs down side of boat.

I was thinking about removing the Stainless chain holding the cap. Does anyone have any tips that has worked?

06197ttlq9-footer
05-25-2010, 09:28 AM
Know your tank...I always fill up on the way home from the lake. Two reasons tank stays full and I am always ready to go after work. When you stop to fill up look at the gauge. You know how big your tank is and guess how many gallons you are going to need eg. if your have a 35g tank and its half full, you need 17.5g. but stop before that! Put 15g in it with the auto fill that is on the pump handle and then do the rest manually if you require a complete to the rim fill. If you ease the last couple of gallons in by hand you can actual hear the fill tube filling up. when I hear that I stop, tank is full, fill tube is not, no spillage at all.

Always look at the gallons when you fill your boat, never the dollars

Joe in Dublin
05-25-2010, 11:04 AM
same problem here, i heard if u hold the pump up side down it works better....

MC X-15
05-25-2010, 11:09 AM
On my 08 x-15 i have similiar prob. if i overfill it splashes out the gas fill. Ive learned to listen to when it gets close to the top. The air wooshing out get a higher pitch when it reaches close to full. Then slowly top it off if need be. I havent spilled a drop since the first or second time filling. I fill in the water only so I make sure nothing spills.

Kevin 89MC
05-25-2010, 03:44 PM
Even on my old '89 I have to watch it toward the end or it spills all over the place. Fortunately I can just remove my back panel and watch the level in the tank as it rises, and shut off when it gets close. If the seat is in, I just turn on the ignition and keep an eye on the gauge. Surprising that boat manuf. still do not seem to have this figured out. My friend's Natique and my cousin's Malibu do this too, so at least it's not just our MC's.
Kevin

Andyg
05-25-2010, 04:14 PM
. If you ease the last couple of gallons in by hand you can actual hear the fill tube filling up. when I hear that I stop, tank is full, fill tube is not, no spillage at all.

You can't do this with an 08 PS197. That is what I always did on my 07 PS197 and never had a problem filling it up. The problem is on the 08 the vent line fills with gas prior to the line for the fill tank. No matter how slow you go trying to get that last couple of gallons in the tank gas comes out the vent. And not just a little gas, usually the entire side of the boat and ground are covered.

I was actually thinking about this the other day and I wonder how on earth MC and every other boat manufacturer gets away with having such a bad fuel fill design. You think the coast guard would be all over the boat manufactures to try and prevent fuel spills on the water. Makes ya wonder if some anonymous call to the cost guard would result in some kind of recall.

I have tried extending the vent line and running it to a higher position in the boat, but same problem. I was going to try and install a one way check valve from West Marine, but there is not enough vertical distance from the vent line position to the vent for it. The check valve works on gravity and has to be near vertical to function properly. You would have to bend the vent line down so it was lower than where the vent leaves the tank and then use a couple of ninety degree elbows so you don't kink the line to get enough room to make the check valve vertical. I don't know that you want a low spot in the vent line though. I don't know if that would cause a venting problem if it was full of gas.

Andyg

jkski
05-25-2010, 04:22 PM
My 08 has done the same thing and has managed to ruin the decal that sits under the vent...great design! Since my boat sits on a lift at a lake about 30 minutes away, I have chosen to simply no longer fill it to the top, allowing room for expansion, and as a pre-caution, I bought a new decal and have it sitting on the shelf for when this happens again.
As far as filling it, I do what many others have done and simply wrap a few paper towels around the fill nozzle to create a stop for any back-up....it works for the most part but I on occassion I do get a gasoline bath.

Lars
05-25-2010, 08:27 PM
Where is this vent?

Andyg
05-25-2010, 09:10 PM
Where is this vent?

On my 2008 there is a through hull vent located on the port side just under where the gas cap is.

FrankSchwab
05-26-2010, 12:16 AM
I was thinking about removing the Stainless chain holding the cap. Does anyone have any tips that has worked?

Are you asking how to remove the chain? I was quite successful by simply removing the cap at the gas dock at Dangling Rope Marina and letting the cap dangle .... glug, glug, glug. Amazingly enough, they had a semi-replacement available right there. Apparently I wasn't the first one.

/frank

YTW
05-26-2010, 12:31 AM
Know your tank...I always fill up on the way home from the lake. Two reasons tank stays full and I am always ready to go after work. When you stop to fill up look at the gauge. You know how big your tank is and guess how many gallons you are going to need eg. if your have a 35g tank and its half full, you need 17.5g. but stop before that! Put 15g in it with the auto fill that is on the pump handle and then do the rest manually if you require a complete to the rim fill. If you ease the last couple of gallons in by hand you can actual hear the fill tube filling up. when I hear that I stop, tank is full, fill tube is not, no spillage at all.

Always look at the gallons when you fill your boat, never the dollars

This is exactly what I have to do on my 08 X-14 to keep it from spilling.

trunderw
05-26-2010, 02:52 PM
This is exactly what I have to do on my 08 X-14 to keep it from spilling.

I have to do this on mine as well...I also tried opening up the other gas cap to see if that would help but it still splashes out of the one i'm filling from. I leave the gauge on and watch it and when I get to 95% I just stop.