PDA

View Full Version : Defective Goodyear......number 3

Jerseydave
07-13-2009, 01:49 PM
Last year I had 2 marathons with belt seperations. Goodyear did a pro-rated adjustment on both of them, about 1/2 price.

Well, this past weekend we drove 5 hours to the lake and another belt seperated goodyear. This time it happened as I was driving through the Blue mountain tunnel on the PA turnpike. I heard it flapping and slowed down until I reached the end of the tunnel, pulled over and changed it. Ended up replacing both tires on my rear axle with Carlisle tires this time since I'm getting sick of these Marathons coming apart.

Sorry, just venting (we all know how crappy these marathons are, right?)

JohnE
07-13-2009, 03:02 PM
Dave, sucks that you had to go through that. Didn't the lay-ups change sometime in '05? Sounds like you have the older type.

Sodar
07-13-2009, 03:24 PM
Good luck with the Carlisles! Seems counterintuitive, going from crappy to crappier!!! :D

Tom023
07-13-2009, 03:34 PM
Does it say on the tire where they are made? Marathons used to be THE best trailer tire and Carlisle the worst...times have sure changed. I was looking at my nine year old Marathons this weekend and noticed they were made in Canada. I haven't had a single issue with my Goodyears.
Sorry to hear they are having quality problems.

east tx skier
07-13-2009, 03:39 PM
I think I'm the source for the info about the layup changing in 05 or 06 or so. I got that info from the owner of a Goodyear dealer in Texarkana, TX after my 04's came apart on me.

I've looked at my new Marathons and was never able to find a country of origin stamped into them.

BrianM
07-13-2009, 03:43 PM
I'm about 98% sure the new Marathons are now being built in China. I remember my tire dealer commenting on it when he mounted up my new ones last year.

east tx skier
07-13-2009, 03:57 PM
According to the Sam's Club website (take it for what it's worth),

Goodyear Marathon.

Assembled Country of Origin:
USA

Components Country of Origin:
USA

stuartmcnair
07-13-2009, 03:58 PM
new Marathon's made in China...good friend of mine owns a tire dealership here. I have six trailers and not a single one of them has Marathon's. He put another brand on for me. It's a generic but he swears they hold together better than any of the name brands. He sells Goodyear and I wasn't worried about saving the money...just wanted the best tire.

east tx skier
07-13-2009, 04:04 PM
Doesn't look like they're all made in China. But here is tirerack's list. Looks like our options are US, CN, CA, and NZ. Inspect or check sizes to narrow down what may be on your trailer.

175/80R13
C Trailer Use Only Not required for
this tire.None 1360 lbs.
50 psi
9/32"
19 lbs. 4.5-5.5"
5"
7"
NA
24"
NA
Country of Origin "CN" = CHINACN

185/80R13
this tire.None 1480 lbs.
50 psi

18 lbs. 4.5-6"
5"
7.2"
NA
24.7"

205/75R14
this tire.None 1760 lbs.
50 psi
10/32"
23 lbs. 5-6.5"
5.5"
8"
6"
26.1"
Country of Origin "US" = UNITED STATES OF AMERICA/US , Country of Origin "CA" = CANADA/CA

215/75R14
this tire.None 1870 lbs.
50 psi
10/32"
25 lbs. 5.5-7"
6"
8.5"
6"
26.7"
Country of Origin "US" = UNITED STATES OF AMERICAUS , Country of Origin "CA" = CANADACA

215/75R14
this tire.None 1870 lbs.
50 psi
10/32"
25 lbs. 5.5-7"
6"
8.5"
NA
26.7"

215/75R14
this tire.None 1870 lbs.
50 psi
10/32"
24 lbs. 5.5-7"
6"
8.5"
NA
26.7"

205/75R15
this tire.None 1820 lbs.
50 psi
9/32"
25 lbs. 5-6.5"
5.5"
8"
6"
27.1"
Country of Origin "US" = UNITED STATES OF AMERICAUS , Country of Origin "NZ" = NEW ZEALANDNZ

225/75R15
this tire.None 2150 lbs.
50 psi
10/32"
28 lbs. 6-7"
6"
8.8"
NA
28.3"

225/75R15
D Trailer Use Only Not required for
this tire.None 2540 lbs.
65 psi
10/32"
30 lbs. 6-7"
6"
8.8"
6"
28.3"
Country of Origin "US" = UNITED STATES OF AMERICAUS

235/80R16
D Trailer Use Only Not required for
this tire.None 3000 lbs.
65 psi
10/32"
35 lbs. 6-7.5"
6.5"
9.2"
NA
30.7"

235/80R16
E Trailer Use Only Not required for
this tire.None 3420 lbs.
80 psi
10/32"
36 lbs. 6-7.5"
6.5"
9.2"
NA
30.7"

captain planet
07-13-2009, 04:09 PM
new Marathon's made in China...good friend of mine owns a tire dealership here. I have six trailers and not a single one of them has Marathon's. He put another brand on for me. It's a generic but he swears they hold together better than any of the name brands. He sells Goodyear and I wasn't worried about saving the money...just wanted the best tire.

Sooooo, give it up! What is the brand? :rolleyes: I have been thinking about the 11 year old tires on my trailer and want to replace them next year. As of now I don't know what to get......but because of the stories on this boad, they won't be Marathons.

Jerseydave
07-13-2009, 09:50 PM
My old defective Marathons were made in New Zealand in 10/04.
The new Marathons (replacements) were made in China. (they have a beefy sidewall compared to the old ones)
My 2 new Carlisles were also made in China. I purchased these because they did not have the Marathons in stock, plus the dealer said they have had no problems with these Carlisles compared to the Goodyears. Time will tell I guess. :rolleyes:

Remember when almost all tires came from Akron? We are a country of sellouts. :(

ski_king
07-13-2009, 09:57 PM
.......This time it happened as I was driving through the Blue mountain tunnel on the PA turnpike. I heard it flapping and slowed down until I reached the end of the tunnel, pulled over and changed it......

I have driven thru there many times, that is about the worst possible place to have a tire go. Good thing you didn't get ran over by a 18 wheeler.

JohnE
07-13-2009, 09:58 PM
Good info Eastie. And my statement about the change in layup definitely came from reading prior posts of yours. I remember a thread a few weeks ago where someone said their max psi for the 225/75/R15 was 50. Clearly they had the load range C tires whereas mine came with D rating.

ski_king
07-13-2009, 09:59 PM
My current trailer tires are Carlisles that were made in New Zealand. So far so good. (About 5 years and 400 miles)

H20BOY
07-13-2009, 10:45 PM
Anyone have any experience with the Greenball Towmaster???

east tx skier
07-14-2009, 11:28 AM
Good info Eastie. And my statement about the change in layup definitely came from reading prior posts of yours. I remember a thread a few weeks ago where someone said their max psi for the 225/75/R15 was 50. Clearly they had the load range C tires whereas mine came with D rating.

I'll go back and read the specs after I post this, but what's the indication on the tire that it's load c versus load D. I have 225/75/R15 on my boat and didn't see any COO info.

mgurley
07-14-2009, 11:38 AM
I bought a new set a couple of weeks ago and they are stamped made in USA if I remember correctly...225 75 R15 D's got 'em from tire rack. I'll try to snap a picture.

P-hat_in_Cincy
07-14-2009, 02:16 PM
Man...I'm really discouraged by all these failures. After my failures and replacements with, what I think, are the newer ones (side walls are different) I was hoping some drastic improvement had been made. But if we're still having failures with the newer ones (were yours the newer one?), my confidence level is way low.

Can you give any details as to load, speed, at cold inflation tire pressure you were running?

Thanks,
Paul

Jerseydave
07-14-2009, 03:53 PM
Man...I'm really discouraged by all these failures. After my failures and replacements with, what I think, are the newer ones (side walls are different) I was hoping some drastic improvement had been made. But if we're still having failures with the newer ones (were yours the newer one?), my confidence level is way low.

Can you give any details as to load, speed, at cold inflation tire pressure you were running?

Thanks,
Paul

Paul, my failures were all the original tires (2004 dot # on a 2005 trailer) not the replacements. I am currently running 2 replacement goodyear marathons with the newer style sidewalls......so far so good.
The tires were inflated to 50 psi cold, driving 65 mph. The boat is an '05 X-star with a full tank of fuel and some gear but no extra weight (like lead, etc.) It's not a pressure/road speed/overload issue. These tires have belt seperations, plain and simple. (I was a Goodyear store mgr for 8 years so I know defects.)

My advice is to check your tires before every trip, look for any bulges, lumps, bubbles in the sidewall and shoulder areas. (that's how I caught the 2nd one before it had a chance to fail me)

P-hat_in_Cincy
07-14-2009, 04:01 PM
Paul, my failures were all the original tires (2004 dot # on a 2005 trailer) not the replacements. I am currently running 2 replacement goodyear marathons with the newer style sidewalls......so far so good.
The tires were inflated to 50 psi cold, driving 65 mph. The boat is an '05 X-star with a full tank of fuel and some gear but no extra weight (like lead, etc.) It's not a pressure/road speed/overload issue. These tires have belt seperations, plain and simple. (I was a Goodyear store mgr for 8 years so I know defects.)

My advice is to check your tires before every trip, look for any bulges, lumps, bubbles in the sidewall and shoulder areas. (that's how I caught the 2nd one before it had a chance to fail me)

OK. Thanks for the info.

I do have a question. On my sidewalls I have ~1" wide by ~1.8" deep 'valley' from the wheel/rim to the tread. I always assumed this was some sort of internal seam. Is my thinking correct?

Jerseydave
07-14-2009, 04:49 PM
OK. Thanks for the info.

I do have a question. On my sidewalls I have ~1" wide by ~1.8" deep 'valley' from the wheel/rim to the tread. I always assumed this was some sort of internal seam. Is my thinking correct?

"sidewall undulation" is where the seam in the sidewall is....sometimes you see it and sometimes you don't. If it appears to be a "valley" and not a 'bubble" you should be ok. If you're in doubt, have your tire dealer check it.

jraben8
07-14-2009, 06:11 PM
I have had almost all of my trailer tire failures right at the 3 year mark regardless of the brand, psi, or amount used. I won't keep them more than 30 months anymore. Cheap insurance vs. changing one on the side of the highway.

Jerseydave
07-14-2009, 08:12 PM
I have had almost all of my trailer tire failures right at the 3 year mark regardless of the brand, psi, or amount used. I won't keep them more than 30 months anymore. Cheap insurance vs. changing one on the side of the highway.

Ah come on, where's your sense of adventure??? :D

P-hat_in_Cincy
07-16-2009, 02:52 PM
Do wheels (not tires) have max psi ratings? If so, anyone know what the '04 15" MC's max wheel pressure rating is?

Thanks,
Paul

trickskier
07-16-2009, 06:04 PM
My old defective Marathons were made in New Zealand in 10/04.
The new Marathons (replacements) were made in China. (they have a beefy sidewall compared to the old ones)
My 2 new Carlisles were also made in China. I purchased these because they did not have the Marathons in stock, plus the dealer said they have had no problems with these Carlisles compared to the Goodyears. Time will tell I guess. :rolleyes:

Remember when almost all tires came from Akron? We are a country of sellouts. :(

We're a country of sellouts because Unions will not give companies concessions to be competitive. They would rather see a company go bankrupt and put their members in the unemployment line than give in. Unions are counter productive. That's why US companies close plants here and open them in other countries!!!

BrianS
07-16-2009, 07:12 PM
Grrr, I've had my own share of problems with the Marathons this year. First one went bad before the season started. When I pulled the boat out of storage this spring one had the tread peeling off. Replaced that one with another Marathon (Made in China).

The next one went on the way to the lake, 65 mph on the highway. I started to feel a vibration in the trailer and pulled off at a gas station. I could hear it hissing and there was a major bulge deformation on the inside sidewall. I'm glad it didn't blow!

Both were less than 2 years old and made in New Zealand. I got them after I had my spare go bad just hanging from the trailer, again tread just started peeling off. The dealer warrantied that one, but wouldn't give me anything for the ones this year.

So, I decided that was enough. I ordered Denman's after reading some good reviews. Ironically, when I called to order them they asked if I wanted the new ones or the old style. The new ones were now made in China and they recommended I go with the older style. So I got the old style ones, made in Mexico!! Not sure if that is much better.

Hopefully they will hold up, because I am really tired of dealing with them. You wouldn't think it would be that hard to make a darn trailer tire!

east tx skier
07-30-2009, 12:56 AM
Well whataya know! Just checked my tires and looks like they're made in the US! W00T!

225/75/15 (D)

BG1772
07-30-2009, 09:52 AM
I have had very bad luck with both Carlisle and Goodyear marathon tires. When I had Carlisle tires, in one trip, I lost both tires -- one on the way to Dale Hollow (6 hour drive) and one on the way home. Fortunately, I bought a new spare when I was at the lake. Then I switch to Goodyear marathons. I was checking the rig out before a road trip and noticed that I had a broken cord in one of the tires, so I replaced the tire. On the way home from the trip, the replaced tire blew.

After my last blow out, I switched to MasterCraft trailer tires on the recommendation of a mechanic friend. I forget the model, but I think it is a class D tire. This tire is a lot beefier than either the Carlisle or the Goodyear.

Forgive me if I missed it earlier in the post, but what pressure do you guys run your tires? I usually keep mine around 55 psi.

P-hat_in_Cincy
07-30-2009, 10:54 AM
I was checking the rig out before a road trip and noticed that I had a broken cord in one of the tires, so I replaced the tire. On the way home from the trip, the replaced tire blew.

That's amazing as that exact scenario happened to me!

I run at max inflation pressure as called out on the tire and trailer. 65psi cold for single axle 225/75R/15

See my post #91 in this thread on how the saga continues...

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?p=619254#post619254

east tx skier
07-30-2009, 10:55 AM
That's amazing as that exact scenario happened to me!

I run at max inflation pressure as called out on the tire and trailer. 65psi cold for single axle 225/75R/15

See my post #91 in this thread on how the saga continues...

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?p=619254#post619254

By the way, Phat in Cincy, nice to see you on the other side posting as well!

P-hat_in_Cincy
07-30-2009, 11:10 AM
By the way, Phat in Cincy, nice to see you on the other side posting as well!

I don't discriminate! :D

stuartmcnair
08-03-2009, 11:23 AM
sorry this took so long...just got back to the boat and remembered to check...

West Lake T5000. Nice smooth ride and no noise.

Footin
08-03-2009, 06:41 PM
I bought a new set of Marathons last year and I just looked and they were made in China, do I have to worry about these?

trickskier
08-03-2009, 06:49 PM
I bought a new set of Marathons last year and I just looked and they were made in China, do I have to worry about these?

No - But if there were made in Akron I would be worried..............:rolleyes: