PDA

View Full Version : v-drive prop

munkymush
07-13-2009, 10:06 AM
when spinning a prop by hand on a x2 or similar how free should the prop be to rotate if all is aligned correctly? is there any more drag in a v-drive box?

FrankSchwab
07-13-2009, 11:01 AM
You should be able to turn it easily by hand.

Jerseydave
07-13-2009, 12:55 PM
If your asking about driveshaft alignment, the correct way to check it is with a feeler gauge between the flanges. This involves removing the flange bolts and slightly seperating the flanges. (correct me if I'm wrong, but this is the way I was shown how to check it)
I don't think just turning the prop shaft will give you the right indication of alignment.

bigmac
07-13-2009, 01:24 PM
If your asking about driveshaft alignment, the correct way to check it is with a feeler gauge between the flanges. This involves removing the flange bolts and slightly seperating the flanges. (correct me if I'm wrong, but this is the way I was shown how to check it)
I don't think just turning the prop shaft will give you the right indication of alignment.He might be looking at binding somewhere in the driveline, like strut bushing.

TallRedRider
07-13-2009, 02:24 PM
Turning the prop is a very poor man's method of checking to see if the shaft is straight. If it is bent, it will SOMETIMES bind as it goes through the strut. If you have a vibration after a prop strike and a new prop does not fix it, then get it checked correctly with a feeler guage.

XPC Sealman
07-13-2009, 03:31 PM
Depending on the year of the boat you might have the old-style rubber bearings that can cause the shaft to drag. The newer boats have the XPC Bearings with much less drag.

FrankSchwab
07-13-2009, 03:36 PM
bigmac links to the magic propshaft alignment document here. (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=613494&postcount=13)

The driveshaft can be within the specified tolerances using the specified factory alignment procedures, and still be forced to bend by the alignment between engine and strut. This forced bend will increase friction in the drivetrain, and make it hard to rotate the prop by hand. This doesn't mean that the propshaft is bent and needs to be replaced.

/frank

munkymush
07-14-2009, 01:26 PM
i was just questioning if there was any difference in resistance to turning on the v drive as opposed to direct drive, i am aware that you cant tell if its aligned by just turning the prop...thanks for the replies though..