PDA

View Full Version : Dry Suit underwear suggestions

gwpowell
07-13-2009, 10:57 AM
What is the ultimate warm underwear for use under a dry suit.

I barefoot in dry suit and have tried a few combination's of clothing underneath the suit.

1. Barefoot suit with sweater and track pants
2 Barefoot suit with full steamer wetsuit underneath
3. Thermal underwear with barefoot shorts and a ski vest.
4 Full steamer wetsuit with ski vest and barefoot shorts.

The steamer wetsuit is great for keeping the cold water from contacting the skin through the thin dry suit but it is too restrictive for movement. The track pants or thermal underwear are not as good an insulator but allow great movement.

I am now thinking that I should use 2-3mm wetsuit pants as an insulator for my legs with a sweat top, and a ski jacket.

I hate the cold. It's the middle of winter here in Australia.

What is everyone else using?

flipper
07-13-2009, 10:59 AM
A friend of mine had a wool suit he worn under his dry suit. Seemed to work pretty good

Muttley
07-13-2009, 11:03 AM
I have an acrylic fleece full body thing, like kiddie pajamas. All it needs is feet! (and maybe a bunny print)

Sometimes it's actually too warm, so I go back to sweat pants and a pull over fleece.

doc
07-13-2009, 07:58 PM
I use poly pro long underwear and fleece pants and jacket. It works great.

M-Funf
07-13-2009, 08:26 PM
I wear a fleece pullover and sweat pants when it's cold. I usually wear a t-shirt only to avoid rash at other times.

I hear a Versini three-button tux works pretty good, too (with bow tie) 8p

kgrove
07-14-2009, 12:58 AM
Look for expedition weight long underwear. They are usually a thick fleece, but fit slightly more snug than fleece sweatpants or sweatshirts. I don't use a dry suit, but that's the best set up for other cold weather applications with a waterproof shell on the outside like cold weather fishing in waders or snow activities - same concept.

bigmac
07-14-2009, 01:23 AM
Surely UnderArmor makes something specific for wearing under a dry suit while barefooting in Australia.

06' X-2 R8R H8R
07-14-2009, 03:14 AM
Its summer.......Who needs a dry suit?

gwpowell
07-14-2009, 03:45 AM
It's winter somewhere in the world.

flya750
07-14-2009, 04:06 AM
Under Armor... Thin and warm...

oldriver
07-14-2009, 08:00 AM
one piece polar fleece suit.Kokatat sells them.Warm,cozy and you can wear it to and from the ski site

JohnnyB
07-17-2009, 01:56 PM
BF Suit and heater shirt under drysuit....that's about all....I've occasionally worn a sweatshirt over that but not very often.

Typically wear a shower cap when footin' and a knit hat and the liners from my Sorels when in the boat waiting for my next rotation.