PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Slipping

bfinley
07-13-2009, 09:52 AM
A few times over the weekend, I noticed by transmission slipping. This typically occurs when it is under a major load (making a sharp turn at speed or picking up a skier).

When I got home, I checked the transmission fluid, it's about 1/2 way to full on the dipstick (while on the trailer). Could this be enough to cause the tranny to slip, or should I take it in?

By the way, it's a 92 ProStar 205 with about 600 hours on the tranny.

CantRepeat
07-13-2009, 10:17 AM
I would change the fuild in it and you should check it warm and on the water for correct level. You can check it on the trailer but make your final check on the water at operating temp to dead on.

André
07-13-2009, 10:38 AM
If it shows 1/2 on the trailer at home ,you're missing a quart,more then enough to make it slip.
Did you had oil in the bilge?
Was the level OK last time out?
Did the seals on mine this Saturday to finally find a cracked hose...

meg
07-13-2009, 10:53 AM
What is the proper place on the dip stick for the tranny fluid for an 06 MCX? The dip stick has nothing written on it!!

Thanks

André
07-13-2009, 10:59 AM
What is the proper place on the dip stick for the tranny fluid for an 06 MCX? The dip stick has nothing written on it!!

Thanks

That's weird! V-Drive or DD ?

meg
07-13-2009, 11:01 AM
V-Drive!!! It is a redish dipstick and has some rough areas on it!!

P-hat_in_Cincy
07-13-2009, 04:17 PM
A few times over the weekend, I noticed by transmission slipping. This typically occurs when it is under a major load (making a sharp turn at speed or picking up a skier).

You sure it's the transmission slipping and not the prop 'spinning out'? Mine will 'lose traction' if I turn too hard, too fast while running ballast.

ccelia
07-13-2009, 05:52 PM
What do you mean the prop spinning out? What is the fix for this?

I picked up my 1989 Prostar (I am new to boats) about a month ago and I am having similar problems (Just started recently). I am going to check the trans fluid and maybe change the fluid, but it sounds like I have a similar problem.

bfinley
07-13-2009, 05:57 PM
Not sure, I don't have any ballast. I'm quite sure the transmission is slipping, not the prop. For example, I was pulling up one ~150 pound slalom skier, and midway through pulling her up, it slipped for a second. I don't think that would be the prop cavitating, would it. I know I can get the prop to cavitate if I do a sharp turn at 30+ MPH, but that wasn't the case here. Anyone else have ideas?

TayMC197
07-14-2009, 08:44 AM
You sure it's the transmission slipping and not the prop 'spinning out'? Mine will 'lose traction' if I turn too hard, too fast while running ballast.

I had the same problem with my 92 190, and was being told it was prop wash. I tried different props and it wasn't any help. I checked the transmission and found it was about 1/2 low. No leaks or cracks, just time I'm assuming. I drained, flush and refeild and it fixed me right up.
If I dumped the throttle from a dead stop it would do it as well, along with turns or heavy loads.

CantRepeat
07-14-2009, 08:57 AM
When I purchased my 92 it ran fine. After about 2 months I noticed it started to slip off the line and at higher speeds. I purchased a rebuild kit with the intent of rebuilding it at the end of the summer.

I changed the trans fuild before we went back out. It ran prefectly for the next five years and never really had an issue with it. I finally rebuilt it over the winter 2 years ago just because I still had the kit.

If you think it's slipping, change the fuild now.

norris_ps205
07-14-2009, 12:57 PM
V-Drive!!! It is a redish dipstick and has some rough areas on it!!
I've got a '95 DD with the same dipstick. One side has a two raised lines on it? Level should be between those lines. My boat came with a transmission owner's manual and it has a diagram of where the level should be.