PDA

View Full Version : 197 / X7 Prop Suggestions Required

gwpowell
07-13-2009, 10:42 AM
I need some advise on props.
I have an 09 Mastercraft X7 with an LY6 motor.

The boat came standard with a 13.7 x 15 four blade OJ prop.
This prop I very sluggish out of the hole with a top speed of 46.3mph @ 4900RPM WOT average in two directions.

I bought a OJ 13 x 14.5 four blade which is great out of the hole but loses a little on top end speed.
Average speed 45.1mph @ 5150RPM WOT measured two directions.

When we load the boat with a barefooter there is 3mph difference top speed between the two props.

Neither of these props give me the performance I expected from this motor.

I have a friend who has a Malibu Response with a Monsoon engine running a 13x13 three 3 blade prop. This is a great setup, plenty out of the hole and great top end. Obviously it is a different hull so it's hard to compare. But should I be running with a three blade instead of the four?

What is everyone out there running?

TMCNo1
07-13-2009, 11:08 AM
Go directly to the man that knows, Eric Johnson @ http://www.ojprops.com/contact_us or contact him by pm, EJ OJPROP, http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/member.php?u=1537
Be prepared to give him any info he may need, like boat model and year, engine size, transmission, current prop, function (skiing, surfing, boarding, etc.), ballast use, fuel load, gear, nominal # of passengers, etc. He will need it to determine the best prop for your application.

corey
07-13-2009, 11:10 AM
I thought the factory prop for an LY6 was a 13x12 three blade OJ, at least most of what I've seen here is.

The guys at Redline recommend an Acme 13.25x15 three blade for footing and a 13.5x15.5 for slalom skiing.

gwpowell
07-13-2009, 11:13 AM
Thanks, I have contacted Eric already. His service is fantastic, but unfortunately he has not come up with any solutions as yet so I thought I would open up the question to those of you who are using the LY6 in the 197/X7

Age Fighter
07-13-2009, 11:21 AM

I bought a OJ 13 x 14.5 four blade which is great out of the hole but loses a little on top end speed.

When we load the boat with a barefooter there is 3mph difference top speed between the two props.

I have a friend who has a Malibu Response with a Monsoon engine running a 13x13 three 3 blade prop. This is a great setup, plenty out of the hole and great top end. Obviously it is a different hull so it's hard to compare. But should I be running with a three blade instead of the four?

I have an X-9 with the MCX 350, and I run the stock 4 blade and a 3 blade that I think I bought from OJ on Eric's recommendation. (memory fuzzys...). Both props perform fine and I wanted a spare that gave me an alternative performance curve. Frankly can't tell that much difference other than a different sound.

Since I am considering getting an X-7, I would be interested in your results as you work thru this. My hunch is that your engine choice with that weight boat should do anything and everything you want it to....

Andyg
07-13-2009, 11:44 AM
I have tested 4 different props for my 197 with the LY6 and I found that the ACME 1281 was the best for my purposes. It is a 3 blade CNC 13.25x15 LH with .090 cup. It has the second best hole shot of all the props I tested with the best top end of all the props I tested. When I say second best hole shot it wasn't second by much. I also remember that the ACME was turning about 300-400 less RPMs at 36 mph than the stock prop. If you are planning on slalom skiing for the most part then the stock prop will be just fine. If you like to barefoot at higher speeds I would recommend the ACME.

Prop Dimensions........... Manufacturer........ 0-36 mph time.......... Top Speed .............RPMs @ WOT
13.7 X 15........................... OJ........................ 7.5 sec.....................45 mph....................4840

13 X 14.............................. OJ........................ 7 sec....................... 45.5 mph ................5050

13.25 X 15 .........................ACME ..................6 sec ......................47 mph ....................5400

13 X 12 (Stock).................. OJ........................ 6 Sec ......................45 mph.................... 5500

Jim@BAWS
07-13-2009, 12:28 PM

The boat came standard with a 13.7 x 15 four blade OJ prop.
This prop I very sluggish out of the hole with a top speed of 46.3mph @ 4900RPM WOT average in two directions.

13 x 12 3 blade...Really opens that motor up

Jim@BAWS

gwpowell
07-13-2009, 12:40 PM
Jim is that a 13 x 12 three blade. or 13 x 12.3