PDA

View Full Version : Just picked up a 08 X2, have some ballast fill ?'s

Joe in Dublin
07-12-2009, 11:15 PM
Been out of boats for awhile, last one was a 86 malibu skier. i have some questions about filling the ballast tanks. the dealer said to do it while the boat is stoped and at idle, the manual says over 1500 rpm, and on the move, how r u guys filling up and dumping...

turbosdad
07-12-2009, 11:40 PM
Been out of boats for awhile, last one was a 86 malibu skier. i have some questions about filling the ballast tanks. the dealer said to do it while the boat is stoped and at idle, the manual says over 1500 rpm, and on the move, how r u guys filling up and dumping...

they will fill that way, but I usually idle around trying to acheive the 1500rpm's. Good luck man. I have the same boat, it has been a good one. Have fun

MattsCraft
07-13-2009, 09:00 AM
Joe - I use this method, works like a charm; get far less pump "time-outs". Consider this, the boat inlets and outlets are on the bottom of the boat. Fill in neutral @ 1500 RPM, stopped, empty plowing @ 1500 to 2000 RPM (in motion) Filling while stopped, allows the pumps to suck the water in, instead of trying to suck the water while passing under the boat, likewise, emptying, while in motion allows the water to join the rush across the bottom of the boat. I use this very simple method and never have the pumps "time-out" due to voltage overload!

btriantos
07-13-2009, 09:11 AM
Kinda funky but it works...it gets more power to the pumps so they work faster...escpecially if you are filling all three at the same time. I have found that being underway at about 1200rpms works the fastest.

1boarder
07-13-2009, 09:24 PM
The 3 jabsco pumps pull a lot of power. I normally fill while still at around 1200 or a little more. Next time you fill up, start at idle and rev up to rougly 1200-1500 while filling and you can actually hear the pumps speed up as the alternator puts out more juice.

proporjet
07-13-2009, 09:43 PM
Hadn't noticed that the pumps speed up. I like the feedback in the thread and will try to idle up just a bit. I typically idle in gear to at least make some progress toward where I want to start a run. I have the 450# fly high on each side. At idle speed RPM?? I wait for the pump to kick off via timer then cycle 4 times on the short 10sec the timers allow and the bags are 95% full. I usually get underway and head home/dock and empty at speed. They empty all the way on the single long timer cycle...No erroneous filling, emptying just a couple extra switch throws and it's all good!