PDA

View Full Version : Transmission oil bleeder

André
07-12-2009, 08:52 PM
I have just change the seals because i suspected the front one was leaking.
Just got back from skiing and the transmission slipped again while turning back for the course. After checking level i was down again more then half a quart.
I noticed the bleeder was wet with oil and that seems to be my real problem.
Why would oil come out of the tranny by the bleeder if the level is right at first???
It was getting dark but plan to add oil tomorrow morning and go for a ride without the engine cover and a spotter to see if the oil is really coming out of the bleeder but that seems to be the case...:confused:
Any ideas?

André
07-13-2009, 10:56 AM
No wonder no one reply to this one.
I was the problem all the time!!!
When i started leaking transmission oil,i immediately thought of the tranny seals (first mistake) and since the front bottom of the tranny casing was all oily ordered some new seals right away from Montral Mastercraft (Next day shipping,great service!) without any further investigation( second mistake).
Changing the seals was easy,thanks to Engine Nut detailled "How-To" in another thread.
Went for test ride without engine and rear floor first thing this morning.Nothing at idle but when i got up to speed,a steady pin hole leak was clearly visible from one of the cooler hose.A quick trip to my local NAPA who makes all kind of hydraulic hoses with all the fittings that exist and everything is back to normal!!!
Sorry to everyones who waisted a second in their life trying to solve that one...:o

flipper
07-13-2009, 11:01 AM
Glad you found it. Live and learn right?

André
07-13-2009, 11:09 AM
Glad you found it. Live and learn right?

Ya, but i already knew i was dumb...
The one thing i learned for sure is that no one with a bit of know-how in mecanics should be affraid of the oil seals job,at least on my vintage of boat.Easy job!

TMCNo1
07-13-2009, 11:33 AM
No wonder no one reply to this one.
I was the problem all the time!!!
When i started leaking transmission oil,i immediately thought of the tranny seals (first mistake) and since the front bottom of the tranny casing was all oily ordered some new seals right away from Montral Mastercraft (Next day shipping,great service!) without any further investigation( second mistake).
Changing the seals was easy,thanks to Engine Nut detailled "How-To" in another thread.
Went for test ride without engine and rear floor first thing this morning.Nothing at idle but when i got up to speed,a steady pin hole leak was clearly visible from one of the cooler hose.A quick trip to my local NAPA who makes all kind of hydraulic hoses with all the fittings that exist and everything is back to normal!!!
Sorry to everyones who waisted a second in their life trying to solve that one...:o

Don't think anything of it, I had that moment yesterday. A hose or fitting leak was one of my thoughts, but I got hung up on the bleeder you referenced in post #1 and by this morning I realized you were talking about the breather/vent and by the time it came to me you had solved it.
Good to hear it worked out!

André
07-13-2009, 11:42 AM
Don't think anything of it, I had that moment yesterday. A hose or fitting leak was one of my thoughts, but I got hung up on the bleeder you referenced in post #1 and by this morning I realized you were talking about the breather/vent and by the time it came to me you had solved it.
Good to hear it worked out!

Yes,should i have use the word breather or vent instead...Just kept thinking it looks a bit like a heating radiator bleeder.
Excuse my French...:D