PDA

View Full Version : Is tubing harmful to an X-2

cal2vin
07-12-2009, 07:16 PM
I have a 2008 x2 and I bought a couple tubes the other day. I am pullin two airhead big slices at the same time from the ski pylon. Is tubing hard on the x2's engine, steering column, etc. My dad is telling me to try not to tube too much cuz it is hard on the boat. What real risk am I running tubing behind this boat?

TX.X-30 fan
07-12-2009, 07:41 PM
I have a 2008 x2 and I bought a couple tubes the other day. I am pullin two airhead big slices at the same time from the ski pylon. Is tubing hard on the x2's engine, steering column, etc. My dad is telling me to try not to tube too much cuz it is hard on the boat. What real risk am I running tubing behind this boat?

Pissing off all the other boats :confused::confused:

:D:D

bigmac
07-12-2009, 08:07 PM
The boat is built to tow things. Certainly pulling tubes does no damage to the boat.

Having said that, I'd be more inclined to pull tubes from the rear towing eye rather than the pylon.

TMCNo1
07-12-2009, 08:45 PM
The infamous Toob Star would have been the prefered toobing boat, it's actually built for it!

Age Fighter
07-12-2009, 09:00 PM
The boat is built to tow things. Certainly pulling tubes does no damage to the boat.

Having said that, I'd be more inclined to pull tubes from the rear towing eye rather than the pylon.

At the risk of slightly disagreeing -- and I mean SLIGHTLY -- with someone who has posted 7 thousand times on this forum and knows a lot about tow boats -- I would say that the ski pylon (NOT wakeboard pylon) would be the perfect place to pull from. We had one of the few IO boats that had a pylon height tow eye and it was much better for tubing than the low eye.

Of course now we are MC owners and do not tube.

But no way does tubing hurt the X-2. A wakeboarder of any size puts much more strain on that boat than a tuber or three.

Ubugme2
07-12-2009, 09:30 PM
The infamous Toob Star would have been the prefered toobing boat, it's actually built for it!

That is REALLY FUNNY!! I think you did a great job!:):):)

BriEOD
07-12-2009, 09:34 PM
At the risk of slightly disagreeing -- and I mean SLIGHTLY -- with someone who has posted 7 thousand times on this forum and knows a lot about tow boats -- I would say that the ski pylon (NOT wakeboard pylon) would be the perfect place to pull from. We had one of the few IO boats that had a pylon height tow eye and it was much better for tubing than the low eye.

Of course now we are MC owners and do not tube.

But no way does tubing hurt the X-2. A wakeboarder of any size puts much more strain on that boat than a tuber or three.

I have 8k+ posts and one of the top 5 longest contributing members on the site and I agree with you. The pylon is the place to pull from.;)

JimN
07-12-2009, 09:47 PM
Pissing off all the other boats :confused::confused:

:D:D

I really don't think the boats care. The boaters might, though.

JimN
07-12-2009, 09:51 PM
Compared with a skier or wakeboarder who's really digging into the water with the edge and pulling hard, tubes are a piece of cake. There's very little resistance from a tube unless it's at low speed and just starting out and even then, it's really no big deal. The pylon is less of a lever arm but the wakeboard pylon will work, too. That one puts more stress on the deck but it'll still work.

BGcraft
07-12-2009, 10:03 PM
Just my .02 cents...

MCs are tractors on water...pulling is their best/intended use.

Personally, towing from the rear tow rings/lifting points make me more nervous than pulling directly from the pylon.

I do pull from the tower with the little ones...pretty much straight-line. Keeps the ropes somewhat out of the way for passengers in the rear/stern. However, when the beating of the chests and smack talkin' starts there's nothing like a deep water start and good whip from the pylon to keep the bravado in check.

"You'll never get me off that tube"...chaaa.

Lastly, do agree with TX,X-30 & others...always aware of surroundings and conscious of when and where we tube at the "risk" of upsetting others. Amazes me when & where some folks will tube. I'm all for having fun but we certainly aren't the only folks trying to boat, be safe and enjoy their dock time!

Pull on...have a good rest of the summer!

BG

bigpack20
07-12-2009, 10:07 PM
That is a great looking boat. I think I saw that one this past week at the lake.

bridomine99
07-12-2009, 10:11 PM
Agreed...we can't be pulling tubes. That is the opposite of what MC owners stand for. However, I admit, that we have discussed getting about 6 tubes and hooking them up behind the MC to give a little back to some of our friends on the lake. I'm starting to wonder if any of these kids can do anything other than tube. Anybody own a big x-star in central MN that would like to destroy the water for them as they do for us night after night? I'll show up any night with a gas can and two tubes....lol.

Dom

TX.X-30 fan
07-12-2009, 10:21 PM
I really don't think the boats care. The boaters might, though.

Your saying my boat doesn't have feelings too. 49226 49226

TX.X-30 fan
07-12-2009, 10:27 PM
I was not trying to be a d!ck, just a part of the beast when you start pulling a tube you lose where you are and who is coming up. That is if your giving the tubers a memorable ride. We seldom tube but I have no issue really except the boats tend to lose track of others in the area.

Jim@BAWS
07-12-2009, 10:31 PM

Single Tube OK from Tower. Not recommented but OK

Mutliples....use the rear pylon. Plenty of strength there

Use that boat to pull wakeboarders....

Jim@BAWS

JohnE
07-12-2009, 10:53 PM
I'd love to chime in, but I only have 4000 or so posts.:D

TMCNo1
07-12-2009, 11:02 PM
I'd love to chime in, but I only have 4000 or so posts.:D

Come on John, your boat's like a tractor, hook a brushhog to it and mow the lake!:rolleyes::D

bigmac
07-12-2009, 11:43 PM
I guess I was thinking more about the ride than the strength - pulling from the center of the boat is kind of dull compared to the stern. I agree that a skier probably puts more force on the pylon than a tube...at least until the tube flips over and the cover fills with water suddenly at 20 mph. I always pulled the kite tube from the pylon.

I see occasional posts about older boats with loose pylons, never seen a problem reported with the rear tow eye. Anyway, I suspect that the rear tow eye has more strength than the cantilevered pylon, but likely either has far more than enough strength than is necessary for a couple of tubes.

I hope cal2vin will ignore the implication from some that using his family's expensive tow boat to pull tubes somehow makes him unworthy. I do get tired of that MasterCraft snobbery.

cal2vin
07-13-2009, 12:02 AM
Thanks for all the quick replies. I figured that it wasnt hurting the boat. Im usually boarding and hate when tubers kill the water so Im usually pretty considerate with where I tube.

BGcraft
07-13-2009, 05:24 PM
Come on John, your boat's like a tractor, hook a brushhog to it and mow the lake!:rolleyes::D
and TMC #1- that's bush-hog...

Clearly you ain't from around these here parts!

analogy= drawing a comparison in order to show a similarity in some respect.

craig3972
07-13-2009, 05:39 PM
I would add that pulling a tube is harmful to all boats, the environment, economy, landfills, global warming, war on drugs and just about everthing else - so everyone should stop doing it.

flipper
07-13-2009, 05:41 PM

It's only hard on your ego, not the boat

flipper
07-13-2009, 05:42 PM
I would add that pulling a tube is harmful to all boats, the environment, economy, landfills, global warming, war on drugs and just about everthing else - so everyone should stop doing it.

Don't forget it can hurt cats

Knox's_Better_half
07-13-2009, 06:40 PM
As an owner of an X2, toobin is fine, but surfin is where its at!!!

Knox's_Better_half
07-13-2009, 06:46 PM
Don't forget it can hurt cats
Too funny!!!

JimN
07-13-2009, 06:51 PM

I have it on the highest authority that hedgehogs are OK with tubing. Oh, and one type of stoat.

wakeX2wake
07-13-2009, 06:57 PM
think of the cats... please... don't tube

Ubugme2
07-13-2009, 08:46 PM
As an owner of an X2, toobin is fine, but surfin is where its at!!!

Have any Pics surfing behind the X2, I dont recall ever seeing a pic of how big the wake is. :):D

Kingsley X-1
07-14-2009, 12:12 AM
does anyone search or do the same people answer the same questions over and over again :rolleyes:

TMCNo1
07-14-2009, 07:02 AM
does anyone search or do the same people answer the same questions over and over again :rolleyes:

No and yes!

Toober Tom
07-14-2009, 07:38 AM
Nuttin wrong with a lil toobin behind any boat, but the ToobStar does it best!

Kingsley X-1
07-14-2009, 10:27 AM
No and yes!

#1 Just making sure that i didnt miss something...:D

KnoxX2
07-14-2009, 01:47 PM
Have any Pics surfing behind the X2, I dont recall ever seeing a pic of how big the wake is. :):D

Here you go!!:D