PDA

View Full Version : Back-up lights?

ProStar Slalom
07-12-2009, 06:31 PM
My lights are working properly for daytime conditions (brake lights, turn signals, and white lights in reverse). When I turn the vehicle lights on, all lights on the trailer come on, including the white "back-up" lights. I'm assuming the white lights should only come on in reverse? Can someone confirm this, and if so, how do I start troubleshooting the problem? 2001 trailer with disc brakes and 5 pin harness. Thanks for the help.

TMCNo1
07-12-2009, 07:19 PM
My lights are working properly for daytime conditions (brake lights, turn signals, and white lights in reverse). When I turn the vehicle lights on, all lights on the trailer come on, including the white "back-up" lights. I'm assuming the white lights should only come on in reverse? Can someone confirm this, and if so, how do I start troubleshooting the problem? 2001 trailer with disc brakes and 5 pin harness. Thanks for the help.

Correct and they also should work in conjunction with the reverse solenoid on the master cylinder to allow you to back up w/o the brakes engaging and should only work when the back up lights are on while in reverse on the tow vehicle. Trace the blue wire from the master cylinder solenoid, through the 5 pin connector all the way to the back up light wire on the tow vehicle where it ties in. If the back up lights are burning all the time on the trailer, chances are you have no trailer brakes either.

TMCNo1
07-12-2009, 07:21 PM
Sorry, double post.

ProStar Slalom
07-13-2009, 07:50 AM
Correct and they also should work in conjunction with the reverse solenoid on the master cylinder to allow you to back up w/o the brakes engaging and should only work when the back up lights are on while in reverse on the tow vehicle. Trace the blue wire from the master cylinder solenoid, through the 5 pin connector all the way to the back up light wire on the tow vehicle where it ties in. If the back up lights are burning all the time on thee trailer, chances are you have no trailer brakes either.

Thanks No1. That was my concern. All ok during the day and the brakes seem to work fine, but I need to make it right for the occasional night drive. Time to break out the voltmeter, I guess....

Jerseydave
07-13-2009, 07:55 AM
Sounds like a bad ground to me. Check your ground wire at the trailer, they can easily get pulled out/broken. Also check for corrosion at your 5-pin connector and/or adapter.

I think your running light are trying to find ground through your backup curcuit.