PDA

View Full Version : maristar 240- whats this in my dash?

maristar 240 dave
07-12-2009, 02:10 PM
Opened up my dash to fix my speedometer yesterday and found some things that I hope someone can help me identify. It's connected to a black wire that goes into the back of the speedometer. It says clarometer on the back. Does anyone know what this is for?

This little circuit board was also stuffed in the dash cavity.

And finally what's this?

I have so much to learn about this boat. Any identification of this stuff would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hoosier Bob
07-12-2009, 02:17 PM
First may be a dimmer for the dash lights. Second looks to belongs to a computer, Accuski/PP or it is the Transmission/Oil temp monitor/alarm. The third looks to be the bulb wire for the removed speedometer from when the computer was installed. Not sure but that is what it all looks like to me.:o

maristar 240 dave
07-12-2009, 02:36 PM
Thanks for the input hoosier. I agree with the dimmer theory- just seems kind of weird to have it inside the dash. sure looks like a dimmer though. I have never had the boat out at night and dont even know if any of the dash lights work. Is that the normal position of the speedometer needle when the batteries are off? Oh the joys of owning an old boat!

Hoosier Bob
07-12-2009, 03:10 PM
Can't speak for electronic speedo's but if your speedo's are like mine they should return to zero or you have an issue (clog). Your tach can sit at 1000 when off however. Your boat does not have electronic speedo's right? What year? You may need to blow the lines out. From the speedometer side! Never as Jim@BAWS says force air to the speedo's. You most likely have a clog and the speedo is holding pressure. Also it could be that someone has turned the adjustment knob so far that is registers MPH around 10 even though you are idle.:DThanks for the input hoosier. I agree with the dimmer theory- just seems kind of weird to have it inside the dash. sure looks like a dimmer though. I have never had the boat out at night and dont even know if any of the dash lights work. Is that the normal position of the speedometer needle when the batteries are off? Oh the joys of owning an old boat!

TMCNo1
07-12-2009, 03:22 PM
Picture,
1) Looks like the speedo adjusting rheostat.
2) Looks like your alarm buzzer and related stuff.
4 and 5) Looks like a fuse holder for something.

Hoosier Bob
07-12-2009, 03:27 PM
Thanks Harold! That would explain the speedo!
:DPicture,
1) Looks like the speedo adjusting rheostat.
2) Looks like your alarm buzzer and related stuff.
4 and 5) Looks like a fuse holder for something.

maristar 240 dave
07-12-2009, 03:32 PM
Thanks Harold. my boat is a 92 240 and has a pinwheel next to the rear exhaust tip.
Do you know how I use the rheostat knob to calibrate my speedo? Will my boat go faster if I give the knob a few turns.? And where is the knob I turn to keep things from breaking all the time?

TMCNo1
07-12-2009, 03:43 PM
Thanks Harold. my boat is a 92 240 and has a pinwheel next to the rear exhaust tip.
Do you know how I use the rheostat knob to calibrate my speedo? Will my boat go faster if I give the knob a few turns.? And where is the knob I turn to keep things from breaking all the time?

:uglyhammeIf in fact it is for the speedometer adjustment, you would have to use a stopwatch and a slalom course or a handheld GPS to set it with.

Hoosier Bob
07-12-2009, 03:57 PM
This is funny! My buddy has an X-9. He said it did 60! I was amazed until I skied behind it. I kept saying faster! When I got on board after my run he said I was doing 45! I said I think we need to GPS this ride. Sure enough almost 15 MPH off! I was skiing at 30 if that! After that the boat was really a nice ski!:D

Wakers! What can you say! Lol!Thanks Harold. my boat is a 92 240 and has a pinwheel next to the rear exhaust tip.

TX.X-30 fan
07-12-2009, 04:55 PM
This is funny! My buddy has an X-9. He said it did 60! I was amazed until I skied behind it. I kept saying faster! When I got on board after my run he said I was doing 45! I said I think we need to GPS this ride. Sure enough almost 15 MPH off! I was skiing at 30 if that! After that the boat was really a nice ski!:D

Wakers! What can you say! Lol!

Was that really necessary. :mad:

Hoosier Bob
07-12-2009, 05:13 PM
I take my shots when I can!:DWas that really necessary. :mad:

rholmes
07-13-2009, 11:07 AM
I was thinking that same thing on the circuit board, it looks like a little speaker, maybe for the over heat alarm.

And I'm not 100%, but I do believe the third pic is a fuse holder, probably lights judging by the number of wires coming into it. If you look at the other fuses on the back of the panel, I think you will be able to verify.