PDA

View Full Version : engine is cutting out

lyle72
07-12-2009, 12:17 AM
I sure could you some help. I have a 1993 prostar that up to now has been running great. Lately it will idle just fine but when you throttle it up it almost dies and the engine is missing. I think that it may be a fuel issue but not sure. I just replaced the fuel filter and nothing. Could the fuel pump either be plugged inside or just 'tired' and not getting enough fuel? Originally the first couple of times it did this I was able to run it around at 36 mph and after 15 minutes it would do it. Now it is doing it all the time and even idle is sounding rough? I am on the right track or way off.
thanks

rob935
07-12-2009, 05:34 AM
it could be a number of things , the electronic ignition module located inside the distributer may be playing up but normally when this happens it will be fine when the boat starts but will get worse as the engine heats up ...or it could be that your fuel pump is on its way out either , check out all the simple stuff like plugs leads distributer cap etc first as these are an easy fix , best of luck.

JimN
07-12-2009, 05:59 AM
I sure could you some help. I have a 1993 prostar that up to now has been running great. Lately it will idle just fine but when you throttle it up it almost dies and the engine is missing. I think that it may be a fuel issue but not sure. I just replaced the fuel filter and nothing. Could the fuel pump either be plugged inside or just 'tired' and not getting enough fuel? Originally the first couple of times it did this I was able to run it around at 36 mph and after 15 minutes it would do it. Now it is doing it all the time and even idle is sounding rough? I am on the right track or way off.
thanks

Check your timing- make sure the advance is correct, stable and that it increases with RPM. If it doesn't increase with RPM or stays high after increasing RPM, look at the advance weights and springs under the plate that holds the points (or electronic ignition module).

lyle72
07-14-2009, 06:47 PM
thnaks, I will look into these items. any easy way to determine if the fuel pump is not producing enough flow?

lyle72
07-14-2009, 06:49 PM
My current fuel pump has two inlets. One from the fuel tank and the other from the carb. If I replace the fuel pump can I go with a single inlet and return the carb line back to the fuel tank?