PDA

View Full Version : prop bracket

munkymush
07-11-2009, 04:37 PM
hi, ive hit something underwater with my prop,:mad: and also slightly bent the rear prop support bracket.."P" pracket ?? has anyone managed to press these straight? i do have access to a good hydraulic press and machine shop..if not does anyone have a clue what they cost? thanks for any input

corey
07-11-2009, 04:55 PM
I've never tried to bend one back straight though in theory it seems like it should work. If the strut is already bent it likely wont be any worse than it already is. It's a good idea to check the drive shaft to make sure that no damage occured to that as well.

New struts run from about 200 to 300 dollars.

FWIW removing the strut is a bit of a hassel. Typically the strut is bolted on and held in place with 5200 or the equivelant.

bigmac
07-11-2009, 04:56 PM
You could call OJ props (http://www.ojprops.com/products/struts) and check their prices for struts, compare the price to the one from your MasterCraft dealer.

I don't know about repairing them. Personally, I wouldn't do it, I'd just buy a new one if mine were bent, but if you're comfortable pulling the shaft, bending the strut back, replacing the bearing, then realigning the shaft/engine after reassembly...probably save yourself a couple hundred $$$.

As Corey mentioned, those struts don't necessarily come off very easily and usually require a slide-hammer. Likewise, you need some kind of puller to get the bushings out and back in. SkiDim has a very cool dual-purpose tool that will do both.

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=SHSBPULLERG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zZ2mSH_Ncc

munkymush
07-11-2009, 04:57 PM
ill take it out tomorow to see whats bent, whats the cost of a new strut? its an X2 YR 2004..

bigmac
07-11-2009, 05:15 PM
ill take it out tomorow to see whats bent, whats the cost of a new strut? its an X2 YR 2004..
MasterCraft MSRP for a new strut (includes strut bearing) is $350.76. Not sure what Corey sells it for.

TMCNo1
07-11-2009, 06:04 PM
They can also be found here too, http://www.elberts.com/underwatergear.htm

Tennesseeski
07-11-2009, 07:15 PM
What did /does Mastercraft use to hold/seal them from the factory? I have searched some threads that say to use the 3M stuff but that could make it alot harder to get off if you ever had to again. I took mine off today as mine is bent also and it looks like just clear silicone type stuff was used. Took a little effort to get off once the bolts were removed so I guess the stuff from the factory works good. Would like to use that when I put it back if I knew what it was. Going to go see Eric at OJ this week and get a new one with bushings and probably the dripless packing system they have also. Now if I could just GET THAT DARN SHAFT FLANGE OFF!!!!! And yes I have taken the nut off the shaft and tried the socket in between trick:) But still not coming off. Gonna soak it some more in WD-40 and hope that helps.

Chicago190
07-11-2009, 08:47 PM
If WD40 doesn't work a little heat to the flange may expand it enough.

Hoosier Bob
07-11-2009, 09:09 PM
You have anything besides WD40? More of a protectant, anti-corosion right? Try some good penetrating oil. Nothing like a big ruber malet either! That is what got mine off! 2x4 cut out to slide over the shaft and bang! Helps even out the blow. Cut a 1 inch slot in the end of the 2x4. Big malet, big fun! What did /does Mastercraft use to hold/seal them from the factory? I have searched some threads that say to use the 3M stuff but that could make it alot harder to get off if you ever had to again. I took mine off today as mine is bent also and it looks like just clear silicone type stuff was used. Took a little effort to get off once the bolts were removed so I guess the stuff from the factory works good. Would like to use that when I put it back if I knew what it was. Going to go see Eric at OJ this week and get a new one with bushings and probably the dripless packing system they have also. Now if I could just GET THAT DARN SHAFT FLANGE OFF!!!!! And yes I have taken the nut off the shaft and tried the socket in between trick:) But still not coming off. Gonna soak it some more in WD-40 and hope that helps.

TMCNo1
07-11-2009, 09:18 PM
What did /does Mastercraft use to hold/seal them from the factory? I have searched some threads that say to use the 3M stuff but that could make it alot harder to get off if you ever had to again. I took mine off today as mine is bent also and it looks like just clear silicone type stuff was used. Took a little effort to get off once the bolts were removed so I guess the stuff from the factory works good. Would like to use that when I put it back if I knew what it was. Going to go see Eric at OJ this week and get a new one with bushings and probably the dripless packing system they have also. Now if I could just GET THAT DARN SHAFT FLANGE OFF!!!!! And yes I have taken the nut off the shaft and tried the socket in between trick:) But still not coming off. Gonna soak it some more in WD-40 and hope that helps.

IIRC they use 5200 3M silicone, but in the winter of 1990 I took our strut and fins off to have them polished and reinstalled them and the bolts/nuts/washers using plain DAP clear silicone rubber sealant and after 19 years, they have not leaked a drop.

Tennesseeski
07-11-2009, 11:25 PM
Well than DAP clear silicone rubber sealant it shall be!!! Course with my luck they changed the formula last month due to the hard times to save money and mine will last 19 days!!!!8p

mmcdan
07-12-2009, 12:26 AM
Any tips on the alignment? I'm in the same boat (no pun intended) as Tennesseeski and bent my prop and bracket today. The process doesn't appear to be very difficult but I don't have specs and/or instructions for the alignment step.

Anything else I should know about bushings, packing, etc.? Does the new bracket come with a new bushing (eliminating the need for a bushing puller)?

Thanks

bigmac
07-12-2009, 12:37 AM
Any tips on the alignment? I'm in the same boat (no pun intended) as Tennesseeski and bent my prop and bracket today. The process doesn't appear to be very difficult but I don't have specs and/or instructions for the alignment step.

Anything else I should know about bushings, packing, etc.? Does the new bracket come with a new bushing (eliminating the need for a bushing puller)?

Thanks
Most of the struts I've seen for sale, including the OEM from MasterCraft, have the strut bushings pre-installed.

As to alignment, attached is the more-or-less standard treatise on the subject written by some guy named Ken Gibbons.

munkymush
07-12-2009, 09:00 AM
ive removed my prop+ strut. how do the struts look when new are they exactly straight down the centre and 90 degrees to the mounting face where it goes to the hull? ... thanks

Abe
07-12-2009, 09:23 AM
hi, ive hit something underwater with my prop,:mad: and also slightly bent the rear prop support bracket.."P" pracket ?? has anyone managed to press these straight? i do have access to a good hydraulic press and machine shop..if not does anyone have a clue what they cost? thanks for any input

Where abouts in The UK are You, I would call Steve at Mastercraft Preston Marina or Carl at Leeds Mastercraft, Both will give You good advice.

EJ OJPROP
07-13-2009, 07:28 AM

We retail the strut for $228.00, includes bearings.

TMCNo1
07-13-2009, 07:45 AM
We retail the strut for $228.00, includes bearings.

And Eric comes through again!:D