PDA

View Full Version : '77 Stars & Stripes electric fuel pump?

thatsmrmastercraft
07-10-2009, 03:36 PM
There is what appears to be an electric fuel pump in line between the fuel tank and the mechanical fuel pump on the engine. It is mounted on the port stringer next to the transmission. You can see the cheesy wiring, and it is not presently connected. This isn't original, is it?

CameronCarey
07-10-2009, 06:54 PM
I can say conclusively that its not, the oem is the insanely expensive mechancial pump (160 something dollars) that Skidim sells, there is not an aux pump and should not be, if you need to replace the insanely expensive one they have a newer style mechanical pump that's like 60 bucks...but you shouldn't have an electric pump ............even if you wanted one............that's not where you would put it..................that was prob someones way to fix a pump that wasn't pushing the full 5 psi.......do you get fuel in the witness line running from the carb to the mechanical fuel pump.........or do you still have one?

CameronCarey
07-10-2009, 07:01 PM
since im on the topic anyway..........i am not a big fan of crimped connections and especially ones which we don't heat shrink over....i blew the motor cover off my trusty Arrowglass stingray years back over a leaky fuel line and a crimped connection on a bilge pump that sparked....didnt hurt anything but the motor cover and the mounts....but it could have easily took the boat out and the dock it was tied too................I say this knowing ..............you probably bought the boat that way..

thatsmrmastercraft
07-11-2009, 08:49 AM
Something about previous owners that leave you shaking your head. I didn't think that pump belonged there, but I have seen applications where a low pressure lift pump was used - I just couldn't imagine this was on of them. The pump is coming out this morning.

So far I haven't any fuel delivery problems. In fact, I have had too much since I didn't bother to verify that the firing order was correct. The PO had crossed two of the plug wires. It idled fine, but when I stated to give it some gas, it backfired through the carb and took out the power valve. As long as I was in I rebuilt the carb and am ready to hit the water this afternoon once I get that old pump out of the boat.

Thanks for the info.