PDA

View Full Version : Car Guys - Help with a squeaky door

ProStar190Fan
07-10-2009, 02:36 PM
Need a little help from our car guys on here. The drivers door on my 01 yukon just started to squeak, i dont know what the best remedy is for it but thought i should run it through the forum, would wd40 work just fine or is there a better option?

Thanks for all of the help in advance.

flipper
07-10-2009, 02:39 PM
I like to use that dry lube stuff. You don't end up with a oily mess that way

thijs
07-10-2009, 03:00 PM
Don't use WD 40. It will eventually dry up and leave you again with a sqweak. I would suggest graphite power which is also grease free. White lithium grease is pretty clean too and an excellent lubricant.

ProStar190Fan
07-10-2009, 03:04 PM
Thanks guys, i always can count on this forum for advice.

JimN
07-10-2009, 03:14 PM
Need a little help from our car guys on here. The drivers door on my 01 yukon just started to squeak, i dont know what the best remedy is for it but thought i should run it through the forum, would wd40 work just fine or is there a better option?

Thanks for all of the help in advance.

If it's the hinge that squeaks, definitely avoid WD40- it has cutting oil in it, which will accelerate wear. If you have a gun, use some slide lube. That was recommended to me by a guy with a body shop, who happens to be into guns.

flipper
07-11-2009, 01:32 PM
Another one that I have used with luck is dirt bike chain wax. Sprays out of a can, and drys up so dust and dirt don't stick. I use that stuff on all kinds of things

kyis
07-11-2009, 01:57 PM
When I worked for Chevy we used lubriplate (white spray grease)

TMCNo1
07-11-2009, 02:14 PM

Spray small shot on area with straw, wipe off excess.

DESCRIPTION: Super high-viscosity formula contains 99.1% pure silicone. This is a universal spray lubricant - excellent for problems of sticking, binding, squeaking, and lubrication. A 360 nozzle allows this product to be sprayed upside down.

PURE SILICONE extends the life of rubber weather stripping on doors, windows, hoods, and truck lids. When applied prior to winter freezing temperatures, it will help prevent freeze-up. Protects metal from rust and corrosion. Effectively dries moisture from wet parts such as switches, relays, distributors, plugs, and chain drives. Waterproofs boots and shoes. Will not stain. Contains no grease fillers. Excellent release agent for heat seal equipment.

USES: Auto - Windows - Door Hinges - Drawers - Snow Blowers - Boats -
Industry - Home Canvas - Rust Proofs - Tools - Recreational Vehicles

DIRECTIONS:
As a Lubricant: Spray on problem area.
As a Lubricant: Spray on and rub into area to be protected.
As a Lubricant: Spray on problem area.

JimN
07-11-2009, 02:47 PM
When I worked for Chevy we used lubriplate (white spray grease)

That's the one I couldn't think of. Did you work at the Desert Proving Grounds?