PDA

View Full Version : Clicking Noise from Trailer Tire

macattack
07-10-2009, 12:36 PM
Ref a 2005 MC trailer w/oil bath hubs. Heard a pretty loud clicking noise coming from the trailer wheel area when I arrived at the lake today (10 miles one way). Didn't see anything obviously wrong. On the way home I didn't hear any trailer noises; had my wife drive around the block while I walked next to the trailer; had a slight clicking noise on and off from one trailer wheel. The oil bath hub clarity/level look OK. I changed the fluid earlier this season. Any thoughts? tks, mac

PS: When I was under the trailer checking things out I saw these 2 fittings on the back of each brake assemby; never noticed them before; any idea what they are for?

Sodar
07-10-2009, 12:44 PM
Those are bleeder valves.

The clicking noise is the loose pad flopping around inside the caliper. I have the same problem and plan to make some type of retainer clip for them.

P-hat_in_Cincy
07-10-2009, 01:04 PM

The clicking noise is the loose pad flopping around inside the caliper. I have the same problem and plan to make some type of retainer clip for them.

I agree. Same on my '04.

motophile
07-10-2009, 01:50 PM
And the things you have circled are for bleeding the fluid/air from the brake lines. Don't loosen them unless you are having problems with braking.

TMCNo1
07-10-2009, 03:59 PM

You gotta be kidding me, I thought that was the fittings for greasing the rudder port!http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_19_1.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSfox000)http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_11_6.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSfox000)

Sodar
07-10-2009, 04:05 PM
You gotta be kidding me, I thought that was the fittings for greasing the rudder port!

No, you got to be kidding me! You gots to talk to MC/Reliable and get a solid answer for us!! Without the retainer clips on the pads, it sounds like my trailer is falling apart... it is really bad and I rarely complain! :o

Hollywood
07-10-2009, 04:27 PM
You could have also had a rock stuck in the tire tread.

Hrkdrivr
07-10-2009, 07:06 PM
or a lug nut loose...

Sodar
07-10-2009, 08:33 PM
Could be a bad bearing...

Footin
07-10-2009, 08:34 PM
Could have a playing card in the spokes.

macattack
07-21-2009, 04:16 PM
Tks for all the inputs:
- Checked the lug nuts
- Checked for debris in the caliper area and tires
- No playing cards in the spokes:)
- For TMC #1, didn't see how a hose could go from the bleeder valves to the rudder port:confused::D

Emailed Reliable Tool and Machine (http://www.reliabletool.com/). Clay Weber called me the same day and we discussed all the possible causes/solutions. First, the caliper/brake assembly design has not changed from 2004 or so to current. The brake pads are supposed to float.

Potential clattering noise causes:
- Air in the system may cause the metal brake lines to chatter
- Metal brake lines bouncing off the metal trailer frame
- A caliper sticking occasionally
- Caliper bolts loose

The only thing I can determine thus far is where the brake line "exits" from the trailer frame could easily rattle against each other. Had an extra piece of fuel line that I wrap around the brake line in that area to see if that makes any difference.

Clay said to keep him in the loop if I had any additional problems. Super customer service; would suggest anyone with trailer/brake issues email Reliable!

Sodar
07-21-2009, 04:23 PM
Did he say anything about how loud the floating pads were? I can replicate the clanking sound with my finger... on my trailer, the rattling/clanking is 100% caused by the floating pads.

macattack
07-21-2009, 09:35 PM
I believe, acccording to Clay, the pads should not make that much noise if any. I can also manually move mine, but have only had one incident of loud clanking noise while trailering the boat. I would contact Clay/Reliable...mac

WTRSK1R
07-21-2009, 09:55 PM
Did he say anything about how loud the floating pads were? I can replicate the clanking sound with my finger... on my trailer, the rattling/clanking is 100% caused by the floating pads.

Man, am I glad to hear that. I have noticed this on and off when I pull the boat (2004 197) out of the lake and thought for sure I was loosing a bearing. The oil baths look good, so I was quite surprised given that I never had any bearing issue with my '92, but figured it was just one more "feature" of the trailer.

Love my boat...hate my trailer.

Steve

P-hat_in_Cincy
08-19-2009, 11:44 AM

Man, am I glad to hear that. I have noticed this on and off when I pull the boat (2004 197) out of the lake and thought for sure I was loosing a bearing. The oil baths look good, so I was quite surprised given that I never had any bearing issue with my '92, but figured it was just one more "feature" of the trailer.

Love my boat...hate my trailer.

Steve

I can say with almost 100% certainty the floating pads can make your trailer sound like it's falling apart.

1) A long while ago I had put a bushing around the brake line where it enters the trailer frame (shown in previous post), so I know that not to be the cause.
2) My rattle started AFTER I greased the pad backing plates (I greased because my brakes were squealing under braking).
3) I have walked beside my boat trailer and heard the pads clicking (catching/releasing).
4) I have moved the pads with my fingers and reproduced the sound, but on a much lesser volume level.

I called Kodiak and they have no shims. We may be left with having to go to an auto parts store and getting a brake pad adhesive to bond the pads into place.

What I did is below (wife's hands, so no girly-hand comments! :D). I'm not sure if it will work, but the play in the outer pad is greatly reduced. The inner pad is more difficult because there is nothing to really 'adjust'. I'll be looking into the inner pad a little more closely.

I'll post back what I find out...

P-hat_in_Cincy
08-19-2009, 11:56 AM
One more. Much the same information, but some more added and from a different angle...

Sodar
08-19-2009, 12:18 PM
Nice hands, Paul! Do you go get Mani-Pedi's with the wife?

I did the same thing. I bent the tabs on the inner pads to take up some of the slack, but like you said the outer pads still "chatter". On one outer pad, the tab was bent so that the tab was actually dragging on the rotor. I bent in back into place and it stop an annoying screeching I was getting from that pad. I actually drove into a gas station on my way to the lake this weekend and a guy there came up to me and said "Hey, you might want to check your trailer. It does not sound too healthy."

P-hat_in_Cincy
08-19-2009, 01:19 PM
What I did is below (wife's hands, so no girly-hand comments! :D).

Nice hands, Paul! Do you go get Mani-Pedi's with the wife?

LOL! Even tho I do a pre-emptive strike, the 'stuff' still flies! :D But to answer your question, no. 8p

Similar story: When pulling out of the water the brakes were chattering and a friend goes "what's wrong with your trailer?" :o

sand2snow22
08-19-2009, 04:07 PM
Have the same problem with my trailer. Noticeable at low speeds, not at freeway speeds.....

P-hat_in_Cincy
08-20-2009, 08:31 AM
Have the same problem with my trailer. Noticeable at low speeds, not at freeway speeds.....

That's the way mine was until I greased the pad backing plates due to brake squeel. Now they rattle all the time and when you hit a bump, seam, or crack in the road it sounds like the trailer is coming apart!

Sodar
08-20-2009, 08:35 AM
I have started to notice mine at freeway speeds now, too. This past weekend, I towed the boat to the lake with an empty car. I was in deep thought without the radio on when I noticed that I could hear the chatter. Lowered the window while I was next to some K-rail on the freeway and sure enough, it was the trailer. Definitely more noticeable at slow speeds, but still there at 60mph, too.

Tom023
08-20-2009, 08:58 AM
Had an extra piece of fuel line that I wrap around the brake line in that area to see if that makes any difference.

Don't keep it wrapped long-term, water will get into the fuel line and cause accelerated deterioration of the brake line and then a leak. If for some reason it gets exposed to salt water it can eat through the line in less than a season.

TMCNo1
08-20-2009, 09:06 AM
Don't keep it wrapped long-term, water will get into the fuel line and cause accelerated deterioration of the brake line and then a leak. If for some reason it gets exposed to salt water it can eat through the line in less than a season.

I am hoping/thinking he means a split rubber line and if the brake lines are stainless them there shouldn't be a problem with corrosion, cause water will drain out.`

Tom023
08-26-2009, 02:38 PM
I am hoping/thinking he means a split rubber line and if the brake lines are stainless them there shouldn't be a problem with corrosion, cause water will drain out.`

Good chance the brake lines are not stainless. Although you can get stainless, most OEM lines are coated steel and and if wrapped will eventually rust like anything else. If his are stainless, he should be ok I guess but from the picture it looks like the hose has been taped up on the end and I don't see a split.

WTRSK1R
08-26-2009, 02:48 PM
I too have confirmed the noise I am hearing can be reproduced by flicking the inner pad with my finger. I have only noticed after pulling the trailer at the lake, and never heard it when driving down the road. However I generally have the radio on, and if it is good and hot the windows up with the AC on so who knows what noises are out there. :)

macattack
08-26-2009, 04:27 PM
So much for the rubber hose idea:( guess I will remove it since apparently it doesn't matter anyways if the noises are coming from the "floating" brake pads...tks for thoughts/inputs, mac

PS: Would suggest everyone w/the chattering noise call Clay at Reliable; if he gets enough calls maybe they will figure out a fix!

P-hat_in_Cincy
08-30-2009, 10:03 PM
Hey guys!
I'm going to give this stuff a try. It's supposed to stop squeal and squeaking. It dries tacky (and I had the residue and paper towel stuck to my fingers to prove it :D), so maybe that'll be enough to hold the pad in place.
I'll put it on the pads and report back what I find out.
I hope all had a good weekend!
Take care,
Paul

P-hat_in_Cincy
09-01-2009, 09:59 PM
Here's the stuff I showed in an earlier post applied. Yesterday I cleaned all grease off and applied this stuff to all contact points between the pads and the caliper / caliper bracket. Today I checked on it and it sets up pretty tacky. Almost like a silicone, but a little more tacky and not quite as solid.

I'm hoping it's tacky and rigid enough to keep the pads from floating so much, or at least keep them quiet when they do.

BTW...it's water resistant.

I'll report back on its performance.

P-hat_in_Cincy
09-28-2009, 10:07 PM
I just wanted to report back that I just got done with a ~500 mile round-trip and the mods I did made a HUGE difference to all the rattling my brake pads were doing. The wheels also seemed cooler to the touch. Maybe it's because the pads aren't clanking and dragging on the rotors so much?

Sodar
04-20-2010, 10:49 AM
I changed my hub oil last weekend and decided to give the Disc Brake Quiet stuff a try. I am so happy to report that it does indeed , work! My trailer no longer sounds like it is clattering and shaking to pieces! :D I really wish I would have known to do this 3 years ago! It makes the trailer sound, well.... sound and safe! :)

autgbm
10-29-2011, 03:54 PM
I had the same noise on my X-30 2002 boat and my local MC dealer suggested and replaced all 4 brakes and the noise did stop for a couple of months but is now slowly coming back. We do need a real MC solution for this issue.

Gary

curtish
10-30-2011, 07:30 PM
I had the same noise on my X-30 2002 boat and my local MC dealer suggested and replaced all 4 brakes and the noise did stop for a couple of months but is now slowly coming back. We do need a real MC solution for this issue.

Gary

Did you read the last few posts? There is a solution. Just not from MC. Probably a much easier solution than dealing with your dealer anyhow. Good luck to you.