PDA

View Full Version : Stars & Stripes HELP...

motophile
07-09-2009, 08:41 PM
Hey everyone. New to site. Seems great so far. I spend most of my time on a dirt bike forum answering annoying questions from new guy. Now I need to annoy you guys and get a little help in narrowing down a boat choice. I have always loved the looks of the old SS. I also like the simple and powerful inboard direct drive. I have found 2 boats of similar age and price and would like input. One is an 82, the other 85. I like the 1 piece windshield on the 82 but I like the all fiberglass of the 85. Any other differences in the two (handling, power, durability etc...)? And do the prices seem fair? Thanks for help, Ron

ads below:

1982 Mastercraft 19' Pro Skier This beautiful Stars and Stripes Mastercraft classic is in excellent condition. It is the original ultimate ski boat from Mastercraft. 351 Windsor 240 horse. It has only 797 hours and has been garage kept always. It has been well maintained and the interior was redone as original 3 years ago. It has won the Arkansas Mastercraft Boat Owners competition in its category. Sale includes custom bimini top and boom. This boat is a great buy for the serious skier. Serious inquiries only please. Thanks for looking. $8,500
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff34/motophile/8201_1.jpg
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff34/motophile/8201_2.jpg

1985 Mastercraft Stars and Stripes 1985 Mastercraft Stars and Stripes. This boat had a total restore a few years back. In excellent shape. 351 PCM CD player, cover, bimini top, Trailer has all new lighting, custom Mastercraft factory chrome wheels, and tires. This boat has won several awards at Mastercraft reunions. Was also featured with the story behind it in the Star Magazine. ( I have the magazine) All of the original paperwork and manuals for the boat are included as well. This is a classic Mastercraft built during some of the best year MC ever had. All fiberglass construction. No wood to worry about rotting. $10,000
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff34/motophile/7683_1.jpg
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff34/motophile/7683_2.jpg

justinglow
07-09-2009, 08:44 PM
That is my old 85. I guess I forgot to take the link off Dallasboats.
I guess you can take that one off your list to look at.

motophile
07-09-2009, 09:02 PM
That is my old 85. I guess I forgot to take the link off Dallasboats.
I guess you can take that one off your list to look at.

Bummer. Guess that narrows down the choices. Why did you sell it and did you get your asking price? What do you think about the other boat?

justinglow
07-09-2009, 09:06 PM
PM at you...

Ubugme2
07-09-2009, 09:06 PM
Dang. Ill sell you my 85 stars and stripes for 8000. It has tons of stuff on it. It has pics in the pro star thread. 351w, boat cover, monster tower, bimini cover board and ski racks, completely tuned up motor with electronic ignition, New XM and HD Ready JVC Head unit and Rockford 12, Kenwood 600watt amp and two clarion marine 6.5 and two Alpine 6.5 in boat speakers, And Duel Batts with perko switch. New Trailer lights and Wires and New Tires also. Re carpeted trailer. Interior is in great shape.

Ubugme2
07-09-2009, 09:10 PM
AND, I would be willing to meet you half way or Drive it all the way if your in Texas or Close to Kansas.

justinglow
07-09-2009, 09:11 PM
I think the reason mine got what it did and this other one will get his prices is the fact it was very very clean and didn't have a tower. IMO the tower hurts the resale on the older stars and stripes. They are classics!!!!!

Ubugme2
07-09-2009, 09:16 PM
I agree. The owner before me put it on. I would have installed the pole myself but I tell you what I get a lot of complements. And rubber necking.

Jim@BAWS
07-09-2009, 09:18 PM
http://www.bayareawatersports.com/searchengine/Details.aspx?diid=2151609&bvdid=3121&type=AN&indid=1&sortCol=Length&sortDir=DESC&page=4&

motophile
07-09-2009, 09:22 PM
Dang. Ill sell you my 85 stars and stripes for 8000. It has tons of stuff on it. It has pics in the pro star thread. 351w, boat cover, monster tower, bimini cover board and ski racks, completely tuned up motor with electronic ignition, New XM and HD Ready JVC Head unit and Rockford 12, Kenwood 600watt amp and two clarion marine 6.5 and two Alpine 6.5 in boat speakers, And Duel Batts with perko switch. New Trailer lights and Wires and New Tires also. Re carpeted trailer. Interior is in great shape.

Can you link me to that thread with the pics? Sounds nice.

Ubugme2
07-09-2009, 09:26 PM
http://www.bayareawatersports.com/searchengine/Details.aspx?diid=2151609&bvdid=3121&type=AN&indid=1&sortCol=Length&sortDir=DESC&page=4&

That thing has had some shade tree mechanic install that carpet and front seat replacements. The outside of it looks REALLY nice thu

motophile
07-09-2009, 09:36 PM
OK ubugme2 I found the pics. Looks really nice from what I can see. Got any more pics? Dash, engine etc... I can PM you my email if you want... Thanks, Ron

Jim@BAWS
07-09-2009, 10:38 PM
That thing has had some shade tree mechanic install that carpet and front seat replacements. The outside of it looks REALLY nice thu

The boat belongs to my brother in law Mark

The floor was replaced along w/ the stringers a little over a year ago before he bought it

I guess you have not seen some older MCs with ASTRO TURF either

That boat is in pretty good shape for being 30+ years old

Jim@BAWS

Hoosier Bob
07-09-2009, 10:51 PM
Looks very nice! I only wondered about the transom stripe not lining up with the sides? I get it I just wonder why. I also wonder what else you could get that clean for under 5k? Nice ride for sure! Classic boats get much more attention IMO!The boat belongs to my brother in law Mark

The floor was replaced along w/ the stringers a little over a year ago before he bought it

Jim@BAWS

Ubugme2
07-09-2009, 11:00 PM
OK ubugme2 I found the pics. Looks really nice from what I can see. Got any more pics? Dash, engine etc... I can PM you my email if you want... Thanks, Ron

I can snap some photos in the day light. I have been here in Table Rock Lake since Friday and It needs vacuumed out. But I will go out right now and snap some night photos right now. BRB.

east tx skier
07-09-2009, 11:12 PM
One thing to consider is that MC's had wood stringers up until mid run 1983. Nice to know if they have been replaced (like in the boat Jim linked). Otherwise, those 83--85 models are nice for knowing that you won't have to do that job at some point.

Ubugme2
07-09-2009, 11:13 PM
The boat belongs to my brother in law Mark

Jim@BAWS

I think it looks like its in good shape but the carpet could have been wrapped around the engine if that is the way it came from the factory and the seats could have been recovered if there was a decent pattern. I not bagging on anyone here because there might not have been much left to work with to begin with.

Hoosier Bob
07-09-2009, 11:26 PM
I agree crap seat and carpet trimming but if it has been re-stringed and Jim has gone through it what can you say. Work out a deal, Jim can hook a brother up with some skins and rock on! Foundation. Motor and gel looks great! 5k sounds nice and most boat owners should have some reserve to really set that ride up. Make Jimmy, an MC dealer help you out within reason. He does enough pro-bono already! :DI think it looks like its in good shape but the carpet could have been wrapped around the engine if that is the way it came from the factory and the seats could have been recovered if there was a decent pattern. I not bagging on anyone here because there might not have been much left to work with to begin with.

motophile
07-10-2009, 01:03 PM
What is a ballpark price on getting a new interior installed in one of these babies? I am good with simple all white...
This is why I ask: http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/boa/1262247251.html

motophile
07-10-2009, 05:33 PM
What is a ballpark price on getting a new interior installed in one of these babies? I am good with simple all white...
This is why I ask: http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/boa/1262247251.html

Found it. Should have read the read before asking thread...:o

Ubugme2
07-10-2009, 10:31 PM
I took some pictures last night but my lap top will not up load any attachments for some reason. I am heading home in the morning and I will hook the camra up to the house computer. Where in the southwest do you live Motophile?

motophile
07-10-2009, 10:50 PM
I live right near Fort Worth. I am going to look a couple boats tomorrow if it works out. 84 SS and 92 Bu. New engine in the MC and looks pretty well kept. Bu probably a better deal but love those SS! I am in no rush to buy (not tomorrow) and still want to see your pics. Thanks

Ubugme2
07-12-2009, 09:21 PM
I took these while I was half drunk and it had been on the lake for a whole week with out cleaning.

Ubugme2
07-12-2009, 09:24 PM
Now tell me my boat is not in GOOD shape and not worth 8k just because it has a tower.....

Coloshadow
07-12-2009, 11:18 PM
Definitely nice!!! I'm a slalom skier so the tower wasn't necessary, but my nephews wakeboard. So it would have come in handy. Is Table Rock a pretty nice lake? Do you ever go to Beaver Lake?

Ubugme2
07-13-2009, 08:09 PM
I have never been on Beaver but my wife says its just like Table Rock.

Ubugme2
07-13-2009, 08:13 PM
I would Have responded to your pm saturday but thats when we tried to drive home. My 2007 GMC with 23,866 miles on it decided it wanted to blow the tranny on the way. I sweet talked my way into a truck on the lot just to make it home with the boat. That set me back a few hours. I am going to find out tommarow if they will fix it under warranty because I had a SuperChips Programmer on it. I am worried sick about it right now. The bad part is that its still in Missouri about three and a half hours from my house.

Coloshadow
07-13-2009, 08:46 PM
Well that sucks a$$!!! Good luck with your truck. My wife and I have 10 acres 1/2 mile from an inlet on Beaver Lake. Hope to relocate down there by next fall. We'll be down there around Labor Day Weekend. We'll have to check out Table Rock next year. Maybe we could hook up sometime on the water.

Ubugme2
07-13-2009, 09:04 PM
Yeah if you go any where by Shell Knob, My Aunt owns T&J Marine there by the bridge and she lives by cove 21 which is where we always go. We should meet up and party a little it would be fun. Do U drive tru Wichita when you go out there?

Ubugme2
07-13-2009, 09:19 PM
Did anyone Notice the orange water ballon launcher I have on my tower LOL, its a lot of fun back in the cove!

tom lynch
08-21-2009, 01:41 AM
Justin, hello, this is Tom. I bought your 1985 red stars and stripes. It runs well and looks great. So far, just a few minor things. I did need to replace the celonoid and the drive shaft bushings. No big deal!

I think the reason mine got what it did and this other one will get his prices is the fact it was very very clean and didn't have a tower. IMO the tower hurts the resale on the older stars and stripes. They are classics!!!!!

justinglow
08-21-2009, 08:13 AM
Tom,

Glad to hear it's running great. Post some pics of it!