PDA

View Full Version : Trailer bunk help

mastercraftman
07-09-2009, 05:26 PM
Before you wrap carpet on the bunk do you apply any marine sealer or anything to waterproof the wood and carpet from getting rotted and moldy? What type of wood should I use that is durable and can get in a 2"x4"?

BrianM
07-09-2009, 05:28 PM
Regular old treated 2x4 works just fine. No need to seal it.

east tx skier
07-09-2009, 05:35 PM
And no need to use glue either. My recommendation is to use one strip of carpet to pad the top of the bunk. Then, wrap another layer of carpet around and staple with stainless staples to the bottom of the bunk.

TX.X-30 fan
07-10-2009, 08:45 AM
I have found that tanned cat hides last much longer than carpet, and they polish the hull with each launch and load.

damaged442
07-10-2009, 09:28 AM
I used 3M spray adhesive to hold the carpet down. There are a few kinds out there, with different amounts of "stick factor". I probably didn't need to. With the staples, it's not really going anywhere. I just used pressure treated 2x6 from the Depot. I figured if the original bunks, which were not treated, lasted 20 years, these should last longer than I'll keep the boat. We'll see.

east tx skier
07-10-2009, 11:06 AM
The only reason I mentioned not using glue is in case the OP or next owner ever has to replace the carpet. It's enough of a pain to remove a carpet that's stapled on. Glue just makes things stickier (yuk yuk).

TX.X-30 fan
07-10-2009, 11:24 AM
The only reason I mentioned not using glue is in case the OP or next owner ever has to replace the carpet. It's enough of a pain to remove a carpet that's stapled on. Glue just makes things stickier (yuk yuk).

Agreed, I use stainless screws for the cat hides. :D

Ric
07-10-2009, 01:48 PM
Agreed, I use stainless screws for the cat hides. :D
is it better to trap the cats or shoot them?

seems like shooting would be more efficient but it also messes up some of the hide :o

JLeuck64
07-10-2009, 02:12 PM
Ric just can't stay away from these trailer bunk threads...
;)

Ric
07-10-2009, 02:30 PM
Ric just can't stay away from these trailer bunk threads...
;)

I know a thing or two about bunk

bbymgr
07-10-2009, 02:39 PM
I have found that tanned cat hides last much longer than carpet, and they polish the hull with each launch and load.

Dog hides are bigger and give better coverage. I've even heard that if you use dog hides, the trailer can be trained to "fetch" the boat and bring it back to you.

TMCNo1
07-10-2009, 04:18 PM
Dog hides are bigger and give better coverage. I've even heard that if you use dog hides, the trailer can be trained to "fetch" the boat and bring it back to you.

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_12_9.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSfox000)

Yea, I heard you have to be careful, the trailer will occasionally stop, squat and drag it's butt on the asphalt, that's why they added rollers a few years back!

thatsmrmastercraft
07-10-2009, 04:47 PM

seems like shooting would be more efficient but it also messes up some of the hide :o

In my experience, poison does the least amount of harm to the hides. Sure, sometimes they go running blindly about just prior to the onset of convulsions and do some damage to assorted body parts, but there seems to be fewer hides to discard in the long run. The big question is what to do with all the extra tails?

east tx skier
07-10-2009, 05:03 PM
I know a thing or two about bunk

Ric will tell you they are great for cutting up limes on.

TX.X-30 fan
07-10-2009, 05:35 PM

I trap and the best bait is the Fancy Feast braised beef with demi glace. :D

TX.X-30 fan
07-10-2009, 05:38 PM
In my experience, poison does the least amount of harm to the hides. Sure, sometimes they go running blindly about just prior to the onset of convulsions and do some damage to assorted body parts, but there seems to be fewer hides to discard in the long run. The big question is what to do with all the extra tail?

Years ago it was not a big deal the more the merrier, but being a little older now i just give them away to the boys.

bbymgr
07-10-2009, 06:06 PM
I trap and the best bait is the Fancy Feast braised beef with demi glace. :D

That seems a little tedious. Dogs are so stupid they will just walk up to you, and you can put the barrel of the gun right between the eyes and pull the trigger. No traps, no bait, no fuss.

TX.X-30 fan
07-11-2009, 01:42 PM
That seems a little tedious. Dogs are so stupid they will just walk up to you, and you can put the barrel of the gun right between the eyes and pull the trigger. No traps, no bait, no fuss.

Nope never know where the bullet will exit, on the cats after the capture and last dinner:D, I hook a hose to my exhaust and euthanize. Keeps the pelt in top condition. 8p

bbymgr
07-11-2009, 03:55 PM
Nope never know where the bullet will exit, on the cats after the capture and last dinner:D, I hook a hose to my exhaust and euthanize. Keeps the pelt in top condition. 8p

I'm really trying to go "GREEN". That just seems like a real waste of gas. If you switch to the bullet method, it might help to solve the gas shortage.:D:D

TX.X-30 fan
07-11-2009, 05:43 PM
I'm really trying to go "GREEN". That just seems like a real waste of gas. If you switch to the bullet method, it might help to solve the gas shortage.:D

I never considered my "carbon footprint" :eek3::eek3::eek3: