PDA

View Full Version : 375 or 425hp

cmw
07-09-2009, 11:42 AM
I am wondering what horse power I have in my 1990 Maristar. It does have a Chevy 454 in it. I got a bill from the insurance company last night and they think it has a 454 with 475hp. I am not aware of such an animal. Do you think this might be something to bring to their attention to save a couple of bucks or is it a wash. I would also like to do some comparison shopping for insurance and wondering If you guys have some good, solid, dependable companies. I am including an old thread Harold responded to years ago. Is there a number on the hull identification that might let me know. This boat does have a ton of power with the original prop. I hope to be talking to Eric about a new one soon.

This a response from Harold to someone back in 2006.

I have 1989 and 1990 brochures and the "Star" magazines with the MC published specifications.
In 1990 the MariStar 210 was 2' longer, 10" wider, 700 lbs. heavier, carries 15 gallons [105 lbs.+] more gas than the ProStar 190. The engine options were Ford 351W 250 hp or the Chevrolet 454 in 375hp and 425hp. Same basic factory or dealer installed options as the ProStar 190, except it came on a Sweetwater tandom axle trailer w/surge drum brakes, metal step plates/fenders, built by Sweetwater Manufacturing, 40 miles from MC, in Sweetwater, TN for MasterCraft Boat Co. to their specifications.

ski_king
07-09-2009, 11:52 AM
I would think that if you called Inmar with the motor serical number they could tell you if it is 375 or 425 HP.

My guess is 375...

Hollywood
07-09-2009, 12:07 PM
both of those hp numbers sound inflated

cmw
07-09-2009, 12:50 PM
I know I could call Indmar, I just figured someone here might know off the top of their head. The knowledge some folks on this site posess on these boats amazes me. I do know the 454 can produce 425hp, I just don't think 475hp stock is possible. I have faith someone will come along with the answer. Just something I was wondering over lunch. I don't have a lot of time to put into it today. Work keeps getting in the way.:rolleyes:

Still curious if anyone has a good insurance company for boats.

Thanks,
Chris

cmw
07-09-2009, 12:52 PM
Jim@BAWS did say the motor was an upgrade for that year. It is big and it will pull!

Jim@BAWS
07-09-2009, 12:57 PM
Jim@BAWS did say the motor was an upgrade for that year. It is big and it will pull!

There was 2 454s BASE 454 and the HO. I don't know how to tell.

I had a 1991 PS 190 w/ the HO 454. It was an animal

GLOBAL MARINE INSURANCE GROUP... Tell em Bay Area WaterSports told you to call

Jim@BAWS

cmw
07-09-2009, 01:14 PM

Jim@BAWS

I knew you would come threw for me. I wish I new how to tell. People always ask at the ramp, what motor I have in it. They seem surprised when they see it. Everything is big on it. You saw the starter you sold me. The insurance company said they could tell from the Hull number I gave them that it was 475hp, but I don't know about that. My insurance does seem kind of high for a 20 year old boat I paid under 6k for. I have put 4k into it, but still the premium seems high. While we are on the subject, the previous owner said the whole boat was sent back to Indmar in 2007 for the motor to be rebuilt. The guy seemed real trustworthy, but he could not find the proof, so who knows. I would like to believe him. The boat has a ton of power, no leaks and starts right up every time. My question is does Indmar even offer this type of service?

mpabreo
07-09-2009, 01:45 PM
try ski safe via geico for insurance, they smoked the insurance company my dealer recommended. Ive used them on previous non-MC boats also, for the past 6 or so years. Havent made any claims, but my experience has been good.

BrianM
07-09-2009, 01:47 PM
Boat US was the best deal I could find. I know lots of people who had boats destroyed during Katrina and everyone seemed very happy with the service from them.

cmw
07-09-2009, 01:50 PM
Brian, let me know if you still want to sell that spare wheel.

And thanks for the replies about insurance.

Hollywood
07-09-2009, 03:10 PM

Jim@BAWS

PCM also had a base and HO BBC, they were rated 330 hp and the HO was either 390 or 425 hp depending on who wants to tell the story. The base engine was RH while the HO was LH. I'm guessing both Indmars were LH so tough to tell w/o tearing into it.

425 hp/454 ci is really pushing it for a stock production engine.

denverd1
07-09-2009, 03:21 PM
Thats what I was thinking Hollywood. 330 on base, 4 and change on the HO. Good luck convincing them of that...

Craig
07-09-2009, 03:23 PM
State Farm wanted double what I am getting using Ski Safe via Geico. I think the Ski Safe policy is much more robust as well.

Covi
07-09-2009, 04:10 PM
CMW,

There were two 454's. Both were 7.4 litre. One was coined an HO. Here are some specs.

Both the same
Displ. 7.4 / 454 CID
Bore & Stroke 4.25 x 4.00
comp ratio 8.8:1
Block GM
Fuel Sys Holley 4 barrel

Not the same
RPM HO version turns 200 more per min. @ 4600
HO was a left hand rotation only.

Net weight of engines are identical.

BrianM
07-09-2009, 05:36 PM
Brian, let me know if you still want to sell that spare wheel.

And thanks for the replies about insurance.
Already sold.

east tx skier
07-09-2009, 05:39 PM
Voyager Marine Ins. underwritten by Progressive has been a great deal for us with no layup.

cmw
07-10-2009, 07:18 AM
Thats what I was thinking Hollywood. 330 on base, 4 and change on the HO. Good luck convincing them of that...

I don't need to be convinced, my insurance company does. I am being charged for 475hp motor right now for a boat that will probably never go above 40 mph. If your thinking I want to impress somebody, I would have bought something besides a 19 year old boat. TMCno1 had brochures that stated 325-375hp. This is why I question it. I am quite happy with the power of the boat. I am 6'5" 210lbs and it will get me up quick. I am not a spring chicken and have back issues from years of abusing it, so the faster I get up, the more I can ski.

cmw
07-10-2009, 07:20 AM
I do appreciate all the reply's about insurance. I have already gotten some cheaper quotes. None of them asked engine size. I hope this will not be a problem when they check out the hull identification number.

Hollywood
07-10-2009, 10:26 AM
If your thinking I want to impress somebody, I would have bought something besides a 19 year old boat. TMCno1 had brochures that stated 325-375hp.

I think everyone in this thread is trying to help you. I didn't see TMCno1 post in this thread but 325-375 sounds much more reasonable. Now I'm wondering if 425 was just a 325 typo somewhere along the way (not just this thread). I also noticed Jim@BAWS failed to throw out HP numbers...

cmw
07-10-2009, 10:39 AM
I think everyone in this thread is trying to help you. I didn't see TMCno1 post in this thread but 325-375 sounds much more reasonable. Now I'm wondering if 425 was just a 325 typo somewhere along the way (not just this thread). I also noticed Jim@BAWS failed to throw out HP numbers...

I'm hoping you are right. I am just wondering if I am paying more for insurance since they rate it at 475hp. I will be making some more phone calls this weekend and find a better rate. I just wish I had a way to prove it is not 475hp. I am not sure if the HIN denotes this.

cmw
07-10-2009, 10:41 AM
Hollywood, I was wrong. I just reread TMCno1 response from 06. The brochure read 375 to 425. ???

TMCNo1
07-10-2009, 11:15 AM
Hollywood, I was wrong. I just reread TMCno1 response from 06. The brochure read 375 to 425. ???

I just went back and reviewed the brochures and Star magazines and they offered the 454 CI in 375 and 425 hp versions as I stated before, don't understand where the 475 hp came from in this thread. Two brothers I worked for, one with a '91 PS 190 and one with a '89 TriStar Barefoot 190 ordered them thru a dealer with the 425 hp versions, but I don't know how to tell the difference in the hp ratings visually, but you can call Indmar, http://www.indmar.com/About/ContactIndmar/index.html, with the engine serial number, as previously stated and they should be able to help.

Hollywood
07-10-2009, 11:34 AM
I just wish I had a way to prove it is not 475hp.

Time to change insurance companies. How can they prove it is 475?

Like I said earlier, I've heard the 454 HO (PCM and now Indmar) called 425 hp. 475 is definitely not true.

cmw
07-10-2009, 11:41 AM
I agree with changing companies. I have already found better deals. My wife went with our homeowners and auto without looking around. If this comes up again I will call Indmar.

About my other question. Can you send a boat back to Indmar to rebuild your motor or was the previous owner blowing smoke up my @$$?

TMCNo1
07-10-2009, 03:26 PM
I agree with changing companies. I have already found better deals. My wife went with our homeowners and auto without looking around. If this comes up again I will call Indmar.

About my other question. Can you send a boat back to Indmar to rebuild your motor or was the previous owner blowing smoke up my @$$?

Sending the boat back to Indmar for a performance upgrade rebuild beyond their assembly line ratings would be about impossible, but I have known of instances where arrangements were made and serious dollars were spent for a boat that was sent/taken back to MasterCraft for a engine change/upgrade in the list of available optional engines and horsepower. I don't think that could be accomplished now, but who knows.
I can't understand why a owner would inflate the engine horsepower to the insurance company and have to possibly pay higher premiums for nothing, if that was the case.
I have read the posts over and over and all I read is the insurance company says it's 475 hp, not the owner, or is it now the owner told you that too? I'm really confused.

denverd1
07-10-2009, 03:49 PM
I don't need to be convinced, my insurance company does. I am being charged for 475hp motor right now for a boat that will probably never go above 40 mph. If your thinking I want to impress somebody, I would have bought something besides a 19 year old boat.
Just to clarify, it's the ins company I was talking about. Good luck with it. Nice engine in your boat.

Covi
07-11-2009, 09:04 PM
Base 454 had 390 hp

HO 454 had 425 hp

I just found my 1989 owners manual.

cmw
07-13-2009, 07:32 AM
I can't understand why a owner would inflate the engine horsepower to the insurance company and have to possibly pay higher premiums for nothing, if that was the case.
I have read the posts over and over and all I read is the insurance company says it's 475 hp, not the owner, or is it now the owner told you that too? I'm really confused.[/QUOTE]

ROB
07-14-2009, 05:48 PM
I have an 89 240 maristar with a 454 HO LH and was in the same boat, pardon the pun. I contacted Indmar with my engine serial number and while they do not directly quote horsepower ratings for their engines, the gentleman did tell me that the HO was only available in LH and that typical HP for the stock 454 was 330hp and for the HO about 375hp. Indmar currently puts out an 8.1L that they rate at approx. 450hp and that's with multiport. I can't see how even a HO 454 - 7.4L equivalent could put out 425hp. Just my 2 cents.

ROB
07-14-2009, 05:51 PM
I'm sorry I meant to say 475hp in my last sentence.

JMann
07-14-2009, 06:26 PM
State Farm wanted double what I am getting using Ski Safe via Geico. I think the Ski Safe policy is much more robust as well.

Has anyone had a claim with Ski Safe? I just had a claim with State Farm on my boat and it took them 5 weeks to get anything done. They totally dragged there feet.
I called Geico through ski safe there equal policy was almost half that of State Farm. My policy is due this month, I would like to switch but don't want to go with someone that would take even longer to process a claim.
Any experience with Progressive or Geico claims would be appericated

Kingsley X-1
07-14-2009, 08:00 PM
BoatUS. i had Ski safe for three years until i moved and talked to my next door neighbor. he works for Nationwide insurance in there boat and farm equipment adjustment department. he told me "BoatUS is the best boat insurance you can get period. the best way to go is to get their yacht policy and insure the boat for whatever you want (within reason)." this policy basically says that if your boat is a total loss then they will pay you the amount of money that you agreed upon. so say you purchased your boat and trailer for 48K and insure it for 55K then the insurance will pay you 55K if it is a total loss. so the money you get includes all of the gear and if you had done any upgrades. it just makes it much less of a headache if for some awful reason your boat gets destroyed. only thing is i am not sure they do this for older boats...i would guess that they do though???

cmw
07-15-2009, 08:26 AM
I have read the posts over and over and all I read is the insurance company says it's 475 hp, not the owner, or is it now the owner told you that too? I'm really confused.[/QUOTE]

Sorry I didn't get to reply to this on Monday. My son got sick and I had to leave in mid sentence. I think you misunderstood. The insurance company said the motor was 475hp not me or previous owner, but all they had was model, year and HIN number. The reason for the thread was to see if 475hp was possible or likely. I did not think it was and did not want to pay for a 475hp when it is likely a 375hp. From what I understand you can get info on the motor from the HIN, but not horsepower. Actually this thread answered my question. I am now with a different insurance company paying less and they did not ask for horsepower.

I appreciate everyone's response.

TMCNo1
07-15-2009, 01:54 PM
I have read the posts over and over and all I read is the insurance company says it's 475 hp, not the owner, or is it now the owner told you that too? I'm really confused.

Sorry I didn't get to reply to this on Monday. My son got sick and I had to leave in mid sentence. I think you misunderstood. The insurance company said the motor was 475hp not me or previous owner, but all they had was model, year and HIN number. The reason for the thread was to see if 475hp was possible or likely. I did not think it was and did not want to pay for a 475hp when it is likely a 375hp. From what I understand you can get info on the motor from the HIN, but not horsepower. Actually this thread answered my question. I am now with a different insurance company paying less and they did not ask for horsepower.

I appreciate everyone's response.[/quote]

I understand it was not you, as you became a victim and the insurance company that provided the 475 hp rating and they would have had to get the information from the/a previous owner or from wrong industry data they had at their disposal, that was the reason for my reply about the overinflated horsepower. I would also think that if the insurance company based the horsepower of the engine with industry information they had available to them, then they were blowing smoke up the owners rear to gouge him of extra premiums because he didn't know better or care or the owner was on a self imposed horsepower trip trying to impress the insurance company.
Glad you got the insurance you needed at a decent rate that your comfortable with w/o all the BS red tape concerning the horsepower of the engine.

Hollywood
07-15-2009, 03:01 PM
My engine has 1150 hrs and is definitely not as snappy as it used to be. I should get a discount!

TMCNo1
07-15-2009, 03:14 PM
My engine has 1150 hrs and is definitely not as snappy as it used to be. I should get a discount!
Only with a KFC Grilled Chicken coupon off the Oprah website!:rolleyes::D

Rossterman
12-20-2012, 08:47 AM
LS6 454 built in the pinnicle of hi performance factory engines was rated at 450 using solid lifter cam, square port heads and 11:1 compression ratio so a lower compression version rated at 425 would be reasonable. Back then, they considered they figured GM underrated them by ~50hp due to insurance company pressure. The 450hp rating was net - these were ratings at crank vs. SAE calc that now includes accessories like fan, alternator, and waterpump losses so getting a lower compression 454 now rated SAE method showing 475hp would be highly unlikely. Check to see what heads it has to confirm if HO or not. If oval port heads, it is likely the 375hp version. Sounds like insurance co transposed 375 for 475 since most on the board indicated indmar rated to engine at only 425hp.

TRBenj
12-20-2012, 09:08 AM
If oval port heads, it is likely the 375hp version.
I know that the 390hp (HO) PCM 454's were rectangle motors. The only oval port motors they made were the 330hp version, which got peanut port heads (and were likely overrated a bit too). I'd say you'd need some big ovals to get to the 375hp range- but I am not aware of that being a common longblock configuration that came out of GM for marine use. My guess is that the 375hp version is also a rectangle motor, as it seems unlikely that Indmar was getting different long blocks than all the other marinizers (PCM, Mercruiser, OMC, etc).

Either that, or the Indmar 375hp motor was overstated by a lot more than their competition!

1redTA
12-20-2012, 12:51 PM
it's not unreasonable for any engine to be rated at 1 horse power per cubic inch, even in a production engine. ie 450hp 454 while I am definately not saying the engine in question is 475hp it isn't hard for a performance build to get 1.5hp/cubic inch. for example my car LT1 (350 cubic inch)was at 400 to the tires with a 15% drivetrain loss equates to a 460 crank horse power rating.

TRBenj
12-20-2012, 01:09 PM
it's not unreasonable for any engine to be rated at 1 horse power per cubic inch, even in a production engine. ie 450hp 454 while I am definately not saying the engine in question is 475hp it isn't hard for a performance build to get 1.5hp/cubic inch. for example my car LT1 (350 cubic inch)was at 400 to the tires with a 15% drivetrain loss equates to a 460 crank horse power rating.
In a modern powerplant, sure! Even the legacy marine engines these days are pushing the 1hp/ci mark. PCM and others are extracting 343+ reliable horsepower out of the 350 block. The newer gen LS motors (366-379ci) are pushing well north of 400hp (409-450hp).

That was not the case 20+ years ago, when most marine engines were still coming from the factory with 1970 technology. <8.5:1 compression ratio'd, 4400rpm, small carb'd motors like the 240hp 351w's and 330hp 454's were the norm. A 425hp HO 454 was a pretty big deal back then.

mcparadise
12-20-2012, 02:04 PM
Has anyone had a claim with Ski Safe? I just had a claim with State Farm on my boat and it took them 5 weeks to get anything done. They totally dragged there feet.
I called Geico through ski safe there equal policy was almost half that of State Farm. My policy is due this month, I would like to switch but don't want to go with someone that would take even longer to process a claim.
Any experience with Progressive or Geico claims would be appericated

I have Progressive for both boats and recently sent Skisafe my policy to beat, they couldn't in my case. The were proactive, and there were some small differences in coverage options (balancing out IMO). Now I have never had a boat claim, so that's a big ? too. The rates at Progressive have been going down due to no claims, I like that...

But, changing the policy options depending on what I'm doing with my boats, etc., is simple to do online with Progressive. With all that determined, I decided to keep Pro for this year.

Shop around using your current policy as a benchmark. It's easy and you'll learn alot about your coverage! Critical to know BEFORE you have a problem.

YES, I read some horror stories about progressive claims...