PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever read their own engine codes?

capnkirk52
07-09-2009, 09:00 AM
I have an 07 X-Star and over the 4th my CEL would beep at me a couple times a day. Everything seems fine and it runs like normal. My nearest dealer is about 4 hours away and I was just wondering how, and if, any of you have a reader that will work. If anyone has a pic of this port on a 6.0L motor that would be awesome!

Thanks

bigmac
07-09-2009, 09:26 AM
According to Indmar, reading their engine codes requires a marine code reader. AFAIK, the main (only?) player in that game is Rinda Technologies (http://www.rinda.com/marine/marine.htm).

There has been talk of shorting the OBD connector with a paper clip and reading the codes by the way the check-engine light blinks....Indmar specifically recommends against that. Apparently that was a shade-tree solution years ago, but in new boats the connector arrangement was changed to the point where sticking a paper clip in there fries the ECM.

capnkirk52
07-09-2009, 10:24 AM
Cool. Thanks for the info. I am gonna call them and see if one of their adapters will work with our Determinator OBD2 system.

capnkirk52
07-09-2009, 01:47 PM
Well, It won't but they have a Mercruiser scan tool available for $399 and then you need an adapter for GM motor and that bumps the price to $499. *sigh*