PDA

View Full Version : Carpet Installation Questions

WVUSKI
07-09-2009, 08:03 AM
I plan on replacing the carpet in my '89 Tristar 190 soon, and had a few questions.

1. From the measurement that I took across the width of the boat (including inside and up the side compartment, it looks as there is about 9' of carpet. From looking online, I see that carpet usually comes in 8' widths. Just wondered if I need to worry about this at all.

2. Talking to several people who have done this before, I understand that most have said to install the carpet as one large piece in the boat. Looking at the current carpet installation, it appears that it was done 1 fiberglass floor panel at a time, or at least appears that way due to having seams.

If anyone has other tips of suggestions, I would be glad to hear them as I need all the help I can get! :)

Thanks!

Cloaked
07-09-2009, 06:34 PM
I plan on replacing the carpet in my '89 Tristar 190 soon, and had a few questions.

1. From the measurement that I took across the width of the boat (including inside and up the side compartment, it looks as there is about 9' of carpet. From looking online, I see that carpet usually comes in 8' widths. Just wondered if I need to worry about this at all.

2. Talking to several people who have done this before, I understand that most have said to install the carpet as one large piece in the boat. Looking at the current carpet installation, it appears that it was done 1 fiberglass floor panel at a time, or at least appears that way due to having seams.

If anyone has other tips of suggestions, I would be glad to hear them as I need all the help I can get! :)

Thanks!There are quite a few tutorial posts here about carpet replacement.

I cut a single long piece in half (longways) and installed it on each side from back to front and out to the middle. You'll see what will work best for you. .

I can tell you this: Remove the old carpet in tact as much as possible in order to be able to ues it as a template for cutting the new piece. That step alone will save you a ton of headache. Don't just rip out the old carpet thinking it has no further use, bacause it does indeed. The most time consumption is sanding the old glue out.

I did mine by myself but it sure would be easier with a second person when placing in the new carpet.

cf_koch
07-10-2009, 07:59 AM
Follow Cloaked advice. I used this meathod on an old Sea Ray and everything went very smoothly. Having the old carpet to use as a template made the new carpet much easier to handle and saved alot of cutting in boat.

Good luck on your project and post pictures so we can see how your project went.

WVUSKI
07-13-2009, 09:58 AM
I think I have a plan. I'll post before/after when I get done.

wheelerd
07-20-2009, 03:11 AM
I did my TriStar earlier this spring. I used the 8.5 foot Malibu (no relation to the boat company!!) carpet from Overtons.
I drew all the pieces to scale on a piece of graph paper, making sure to add a couple of inches extra around the edge of each piece for good luck.
Whatever carpet you use, be sure to check the grain in good lighting. It will often look lighter/darker from opposite directions. You don't want to mix and match directions by mistake!! You'll have to factor that in if you make a scale drawing.
I agree that having the old pieces for templates is helpful. I found though that the two primary floor pieces weren't much help as a guide since they develop a contour that doesn't allow them to lay flat.
After I had scraped and sanded the old glue off I filled all the seat screw holes with marine epoxy. A couple were stripped and I wanted the reinstalled screws to have a good bite. I just drilled new pilot holes so didn't have to worry about trying to find the old ones.
I did all the removable center sections over the winter. Since they are a fiberglass skin over a plywood core I took time to seal any edges where water could get in before glueing the carpet on.
Have you taken out the front center section in the walkthrough? If not, I'll explain how in another post. It's tricky.
When installing the two big floor pieces, do it on a day when you can work in the warm sun. It makes the carpet a lot more malleable in shaping it to the contours of the hull. I started from the front (under the dash) and worked back and from the edge of the bilge across and up the hull. This allowed me to keep the carpet grain parallel with the floor sections.
I'll be happy to answer any other questions you might have. Good luck!