PDA

View Full Version : 197/190 Drain Holes under Rear seat?

georgea0731
07-08-2009, 06:07 PM
The previous owner put (drilled) a small, 1/8 inch hole in each corner of the rear seat fiberglass edge. Normally, water drains on this edge and keeps the rear removable seat wet and dirty, so I assume they drilled the holes to get rid of the standing water.
My questions are:
I assume these 2 holes allow the water to drain through into the bilge area, is this right?

The holes get clogged up with junk, so should I redo them with a large drill bit, 1/4 or so?

Anyone else done this? What size did you drill?

ncsone
07-08-2009, 06:11 PM
I have the same problem and have thought about doing that exact thing. I have not done it yet, but would be interested to hear how it works once you get the holes drilled to the right size.

Sodar
07-08-2009, 06:21 PM
Judging by what it looked like back there when I pulled my speakers out, it would seem the water would be easily trapped back there. I personally, would rather just wipe up back there when I wipe down the interior, but let me know what you guys find out. If that water has a place to drain back there, I would have no problem with drilling holes to evacuate the water.

ncsone
07-08-2009, 06:38 PM
Judging by what it looked like back there when I pulled my speakers out, it would seem the water would be easily trapped back there. I personally, would rather just wipe up back there when I wipe down the interior, but let me know what you guys find out. If that water has a place to drain back there, I would have no problem with drilling holes to evacuate the water.

Good input. I just assumed that it drained to the bilge.

agua4fun
07-08-2009, 09:28 PM
Funny this one came up, my buddy and I who each have a 190 were both talking about doing this yesterday. I guess im waiting to hear how this works as well.......

stuartmcnair
07-09-2009, 10:54 AM
mine has two half inch holes in each side of the seat...looks factory done.

rhsprostar
07-09-2009, 10:18 PM
I have been thinking about doing the same thing! I think that the water would just end up in the bilge under the gas tank???
If anyone figures this out please let us know as i would love to have that water drain out from the back of my seat and not just sit there and make a slimy mess.

Sodar
07-27-2009, 01:38 PM
So I pulled the speakers out under the rear seat and the floor out of the ski locker to make sure that water would drain if I drilled holes and it will. I drilled 3 holes in the fiberglass to allow for drainage. Port, starboard and center. Hopefully this will keep that ledge dry and cleaner than before... we will see! :D

rhsprostar
07-27-2009, 01:43 PM
I know someone posted about this a little while back but i couldn't find it.
Water collects at the base of my(197) rear seat. There are no drain holes and it just sits there and soaks the seat. Can I just drill a couple of holes and allow the water to drain into the bilge? What is behind there? Has anyone already done it?
thanks in advance.

flipper
07-27-2009, 01:45 PM
uhhhhhh

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=31064

3event
07-27-2009, 01:50 PM
I've got one hole starboard, one hole port - from the factory on my '02. Needs one in the middle, as I have to sponge/wipe that area out. Never considered another hole, just made it part of the daily wipe down plan. I'll have to go check why the 2 that exist don't do a better job now, and see about a 3rd....

rhsprostar
07-27-2009, 02:18 PM
uhhhhhh

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=31064

See i knew it saw it here somewhere! Thanks flipper!
-why do i feel like my wife just scolded me?:rolleyes:

rhsprostar
07-27-2009, 02:25 PM
So I pulled the speakers out under the rear seat and the floor out of the ski locker to make sure that water would drain if I drilled holes and it will. I drilled 3 holes in the fiberglass to allow for drainage. Port, starboard and center. Hopefully this will keep that ledge dry and cleaner than before... we will see! :D

Sodar
Let us know how it worked out. I am going to drill some holes this week if it did.

georgea0731
09-20-2010, 10:51 PM
Please update on the results?

ncsone
09-20-2010, 10:53 PM
Please update on the results?

They work in the sense that water does not pool in the corners of that shelf any more. But, it still gets messy quickly back there. At least I don't have to sponge up the excess water with a towel now though.

Sodar
09-20-2010, 11:37 PM
Just as Neil said, the holes are good for draining the water, but it does still get dirty on the shelf, but a quick wipe and it is gone.

rhsprostar
09-20-2010, 11:39 PM
seems to work ok. The holes are easily plugged with crap. My holes may be on the small side. I should probably enlage them to 3/8ths maybe?
Anyone else?

georgea0731
09-21-2010, 07:52 PM
Any issues with where the water is going? In the bilge?