PDA

View Full Version : Lake Scum

drugless
07-08-2009, 02:04 PM
I wipe her down everytime I pull her out of the lake, but the lake scum still builds up. Haven't found anything that breaks it up without major league expenditure of elbow greas. Anybody know a good product that can remove the stuff? Scrubbing Bubbles for boats? I just really don't have the time to do a full hull wash after every trip to the lake.

jake
07-08-2009, 02:08 PM
Starbrite Hull Cleaner. Works like a charm. I bought a heavy duty spray bottle, makes application a snap. Spray on, hose off. Only thing is it also removes wax.

ntidsl
07-08-2009, 02:11 PM
I dont understand that. It sounds like you need to properly polish and wax your boat first. then instead of just wiping the boat down you need to wash it. Also if you dont have access to water at least get it real clean then use babes boat brite and re-wipe the boat down...this will protect it. My boat goes in really dirty water every week for 3-4 days and everything wipes right off.

Polish and wax your boat after using a cleaner on your hull and wax it 2 times a year...but you have to use something like Babes or Rat Juice everytime you pull out.

flipper
07-08-2009, 02:18 PM
A good coat of wax once a year, and use babe's boat bright every time you take it out of the water. Everything will wipe right off

Craig
07-08-2009, 02:25 PM
A good coat of wax goes a long way to prevent these stains. Before I put a good couple coats of wax on this year I was noticing stain after only a handful of outings. After I finished re-working the gelcoat I have not had any issues, just keep it wiped down after every use. I would expect this will keep it looking nice until the season is over.

I have heard Starbrite works really well, but I have just used The Works toilet bowl cleaner that I put in a spray bottle. Similar to what jake said, just spray it on and rinse it off with the hose. It will also take any wax or sealant off the gelcoat.

I don't currently use babes boat bright, but I think I should.

bigmac
07-08-2009, 02:55 PM
Comes right off with an acid cleaner like MaryKate's On-Off (http://properboatcare.com/maonoffhuboc.html), Starbrite Hull Cleaner, Zing!, etc. My favorite is Slimy Grimy because it's milder. With these preparations, no elbow grease required...daub on the acid, let it sit for about 60 seconds, hose it off.

Dealing with oxalic/muriatic acid is a little problematic - don't want it sitting on your trailer too much, nor on your concrete. Don't get it on your clothes, wear gloves and eye protection. That's the reason I prefer Slimy Grimy (http://www.slimygrimy.com/) - don't have to worry about that stuff because it's so mild. OTOH, if you have a really thick layer of slime, you might want something stronger.

Apply some wax afterward - this stuff will strip your old wax right off.

jake
07-08-2009, 03:06 PM
Comes right off with an acid cleaner like MaryKate's On-Off (http://properboatcare.com/maonoffhuboc.html), Starbrite Hull Cleaner, Zing!, etc. My favorite is Slimy Grimy because it's milder. With these preparations, no elbow grease required...daub on the acid, let it sit for about 60 seconds, hose it off.

I tried Zing and it turned black plastic parts cloudy white (speedo pitots, bilge outlet). Starbrite doesn't do this. FYI

bigmac
07-08-2009, 03:30 PM
I tried Zing and it turned black plastic parts cloudy white (speedo pitots, bilge outlet). Starbrite doesn't do this. FYI

Yeh, Zing is pretty concentrated. It also reacts badly with aluminum. It was Zing that convinced me that milder is better.

Cary K.
07-08-2009, 03:54 PM
I am a believer in the Starbrite Hull Cleaner as mentioned above. One tip I found that makes it easier to apply and to breathe (or not breathe) is to put it in a garden sprayer. I can stand further away not to inhale as many fumes, I don't have to keep pumping the bottle, and it seems to get a bigger spray pattern than the bottle.

jake
07-08-2009, 04:06 PM
I am a believer in the Starbrite Hull Cleaner as mentioned above. One tip I found that makes it easier to apply and to breathe (or not breathe) is to put it in a garden sprayer. I can stand further away not to inhale as many fumes, I don't have to keep pumping the bottle, and it seems to get a bigger spray pattern than the bottle.

These work really well, Walmart, less than $5. They hold about one full bottle of Starbrite, and they spray a nice large pattern. You can just label it and leave the hull cleaner in there. A garden sprayer would work well too, but seems like a PITA to clean it out.

http://www.rubbermaid.com/rubbermaid/product/product.jhtml?prodId=HPProd320066

TMCNo1
07-08-2009, 04:36 PM
These work really well, Walmart, less than $5. They hold about one full bottle of Starbrite, and they spray a nice large pattern. You can just label it and leave the hull cleaner in there. A garden sprayer would work well too, but seems like a PITA to clean it out.

http://www.rubbermaid.com/rubbermaid/product/product.jhtml?prodId=HPProd320066

Those bottles are the best I have ever found! I use a tire dressing called Super Stuff, sold locally through a new/used car detailing retail supplier and it has a solvent in it that will eat up the o-rings/seals in any other sprayer in less than 2 weeks, just sitting. I have now used the same bottle for 4 years and it's still good as new.

Chicago190
07-08-2009, 08:09 PM
I dont understand that. It sounds like you need to properly polish and wax your boat first. then instead of just wiping the boat down you need to wash it. Also if you dont have access to water at least get it real clean then use babes boat brite and re-wipe the boat down...this will protect it. My boat goes in really dirty water every week for 3-4 days and everything wipes right off.

Polish and wax your boat after using a cleaner on your hull and wax it 2 times a year...but you have to use something like Babes or Rat Juice everytime you pull out.

Wax will not prevent scum buildup in some cases. For example, I cleaned my hull with Marykate's On/Off this spring and did a complete detail of the outside. I used medium and fine rubbing compound to remove oxidation, polish to remove haze, and finally two coats of wax. I had the boat in the water for 3 days (on a lift out of the water at night) and it still developed a light scum line by the end of the weekend. My lake has a lot of iron in the water (the well water is undrinkable unless it is run through a water purifier) and no matter what I do it will develop an orange ring after a few days.

As for hull cleaners, I used Marykate's On/Off gel and it was fantastic. I covered one side of the trailer with a $5 plastic tarp from Walmart. I poured 1/3 of the bottle of On/Off into a bucket and applied to the white of my hull with a paint brush. Let it sit for 5 mins. and rinsed. Scum line was 100% gone. On/Off is available from Overton's or West Marine. It is pretty acidic, I used gloves but still got a little on my fingers when I was cleaning up. It definitely stings a little bit, but it works extremely well.

ntidsl
07-09-2009, 11:18 AM
wow, that would suck. I guess I'm lucky, I've left my boat in the muddy ohio river for 8 days before, no lift...when I swim or when i get done skiing I always take a microfiber rag and wipe the boat down, under and on the sides up to the rub rail. also every morning i do what I can from the top side.

My sides probably get wiped down 3 times a day since we are in the water alot.

As a note...I have never ever used any hull cleaner as it scares the crap out of me...something about using chemicals on fiberglass scare me.

I've never even used terry cloth on my boat, microfiber rags only...the softer the better I always think.

I'll count my blessings.

TX.X-30 fan
07-09-2009, 11:51 AM
Try using a dead cat to wipe it down, works for me.

Hey BBMGDMGR. :D:D

bbymgr
07-09-2009, 01:02 PM
I've found that dog fur is better for that deep ground in dirt. It's got more bite to it, and you don't have to kill the dog. You can just scalp the fur off..........it should probably grow back over time.

Hi TX!! Isn't this fun!!:D:D

flipper
07-09-2009, 01:03 PM

I've found that dog fur is better for that deep ground in dirt. It's got more bite to it, and you don't have to kill the dog. You can just scalp the fur off..........it should probably grow back over time.

When did TT become a dating site?:rolleyes:

stuartmcnair
07-09-2009, 03:53 PM

I don't understand why you have to use a dead cat...that means you have to find and kill a cat each time. If you use a live cat you can reuse it over a period of getting it wet once before it shreds your arm up to your shoulder...now I see the reason for the dead part.

Jorski
07-09-2009, 05:14 PM

If you drop it while applying..does it bounce? Dead cat bounce...old stockbroker's sense of humour I guess.;)

TMCNo1
07-09-2009, 05:28 PM
If you drop it while applying..does it bounce? Dead cat bounce...old stockbroker's sense of humour I guess.;)

Get a barefoot cat, they always land on their feet!

Jonathan94
07-09-2009, 05:36 PM
If I would have known...

I could have picked this up to use!

flipper
07-09-2009, 05:38 PM
for a good price too

Craig
07-09-2009, 05:39 PM
If I would have known...

I could have picked this up to use!

Love that picture. :uglyhamme

flipper
07-09-2009, 05:41 PM
I haven't tried it yet, but I hear squirrels work for those tight hard to reach places

Jonathan94
07-09-2009, 05:48 PM
be selective though, if you are thinking of using a rabbit - some are not very good .......

Jonathan94
07-09-2009, 05:54 PM
another drawback to using live cats - afterwards they are going to want some payback for their hard work...... and it will cost you gas money

CantRepeat
07-09-2009, 06:16 PM
I use Starbright hull cleaner a couple times a year. The lake/river we go to has much mud and it doesn't matter how many times you wash the boat the scum builds up. Just be sure to wax the boat after you use it.

TX.X-30 fan
07-10-2009, 09:34 AM
Nothing better than a threadjack, good job gentlemen.

BG1772
07-24-2009, 12:27 PM
I have used both the works toilet bowl cleaner and the works shower cleaner. I usually cut the toilet bowl cleaner with water to dilute it a bit. I also use a garden sprayer - makes life much easier than with a hand sprayer.

I have found that the shower cleaner is great at light dirt and water spots. However, when I get what I call hard water stains the toilet bowl cleaner does the job without much of any scrubbing effort.

I have not tried the babes boat brite. Where do you purchase it?