PDA

View Full Version : Oil Filter - Mess - Any Tips

davomaddo
07-08-2009, 12:04 PM
I pump as much oil out as I can, then I remove the oil filter.
I always end up with a mess, when I remove the oil filter.
I have a X-15 V-drive, so it is a bit cramped.

Does anyone have any tricks they want to share?

Sodar
07-08-2009, 12:06 PM
Put a zip lock freezer bag round the filter and a large oil diaper in the bilge. The ziplock will catch the majority of oil in the filter and the diaper will catch any drips.

damaged442
07-08-2009, 12:12 PM
I use an old Cool Whip bowl under mine while I unthread the filter. It catches most of the oil. A few drips may get by, but Sodar said, throw a oil diaper/pigmat/rag down there and it'll take care of them.

denverd1
07-08-2009, 12:22 PM
Couple of wally plastic bags does the trick for me. Use two, cuz they dont' seem interested in making bags without holes in 'em.

trickskier
07-08-2009, 12:28 PM
I place a couple of paper towels in the bilge then use the bottom part of a gallon jug that I cut to catch the oil & filter. The paper towels catch any spillage.

JimN
07-08-2009, 12:48 PM
I pump as much oil out as I can, then I remove the oil filter.
I always end up with a mess, when I remove the oil filter.
I have a X-15 V-drive, so it is a bit cramped.

Does anyone have any tricks they want to share?

I post this about 5 times every year- cut the bottom off of a windshield washer fluid jug, about 6" high. Put paper towels down on the hull in an area larger than the jug, loosen the filter so any runoff will go into the jug. Once that's done, remove the filter, catching it in the jug. Slide it to a place where you can remove it. If you're careful, the bottom of the jug won't have much, if any, oil on it and what is there can be easily wiped up. Lube the O Ring and install the new filter. I did hundreds of oil changes this way on V-Drive, stern drive and direct drive boats.

You want cramped? Try doing an oil change on a 19' Rinker runabout. The side panels don't come out and they don't have any access holes on them.

davomaddo
07-08-2009, 05:46 PM
Great tips. Thanks.

dummy
07-08-2009, 07:20 PM
Here's my deal. Cardboard water bottle flat w/ the plastic wrap still around the bottom outside. Leak-free if you do spill and plenty of "floor space" to catch the drips. As long as you've got room to fit in, that is.

http://garagemonkey.net/garage-monkey-photo-galleries/Marine-Oil-Change-gallery.html

davomaddo
07-08-2009, 07:54 PM
I have an oil pump that you stick down into the dip stick.
It seems to work pretty well.
Is that as good as using the oil drain hose?

Chicago190
07-08-2009, 07:59 PM
I have an oil pump that you stick down into the dip stick.
It seems to work pretty well.
Is that as good as using the oil drain hose?

People have reported the oil pump tube can get stuck in the dip stick tube and lead to major hassles. Plus, using the drain tube ensures the pump is pulling from the lowest point in the oil pan.

chico
07-08-2009, 08:58 PM
Warm the engine up before the change.

snork
07-08-2009, 11:56 PM
Sodar, you forgot to mention adding oil to the filter prior to the install

davomaddo
07-10-2009, 11:19 AM
Just changed the oil. With my V-Drive Salt Water Series, the oil filter is very difficult to get to. The zip lock bag is the only way to go. Thanks Sodar.
You can barely fit the oil filter through the hoses/engine to get it out from under the engine - so there is absolutely no room for any jars, boxes, buckets, etc.

I might look into getting a remote oil filter attachment. Has anyone had any experience with those, or have any suggestions?

Every time I work on my v-drive - I think about how nice it would be to have a direct drive.
You guys with direct drive - engine in the middle - have it so easy.

billr
07-10-2009, 01:35 PM
I got a remote kit from NAPA. I think it was for a Camero. Sure beats the h**l out of trying to get the filter past the exhaust hoses.

Sodar
07-10-2009, 01:46 PM
Sodar, you forgot to mention adding oil to the filter prior to the install

I was unaware I was to give a step my step lesson on how to change the oil.

P.S.- You do not need to add oil to the filter prior to reinstalling it. If you feel like taking the extra step, have at it! :)

TMCNo1
07-10-2009, 04:46 PM
Couple of wally plastic bags does the trick for me. Use two, cuz they dont' seem interested in making bags without holes in 'em.

When the tree huggers get through eliminating the use of the plastic bags to use to carry your purchases home in, what's left over and produced in the future will be marketed as oil filter condoms!:rolleyes::D
"Don't impregnate your bilge with oil!"

JimN
07-10-2009, 05:06 PM
I was unaware I was to give a step my step lesson on how to change the oil.

P.S.- You do not need to add oil to the filter prior to reinstalling it. If you feel like taking the extra step, have at it! :)

It's still not a bad idea to prime the filter. Your footage may vary.

JimN
07-10-2009, 05:07 PM
You guys who have problems with spillage need to work for a dealer for a weekend when they're doing oil changes. You'll find ways to do it faster and cleaner. That's why I use the bottom of a plastic jug- it doesn't collapse and can be reused.

davomaddo
07-10-2009, 07:43 PM
Yes, practice makes perfect.

I know how to change oil. I was just looking for spillage tips, the zip lock worked good.
The Freezer bag with the extra stiff top helped keep the bag up and around the filter.

If I didn't have to stand on my head and contort myself to get the damn thing out, stopping spillage wouldn't be a topic of conversation.

JimN
07-10-2009, 07:49 PM
Yes, practice makes perfect.

I know how to change oil. I was just looking for spillage tips, the zip lock worked good.
The Freezer bag with the extra stiff top helped keep the bag up and around the filter.

If I didn't have to stand on my head and contort myself to get the damn thing out, stopping spillage wouldn't be a topic of conversation.

The joys of boat maintenance, eh?

Hrkdrivr
07-10-2009, 08:04 PM

Same issue on our X-45 with the L18; I can't imagine how tight the fit would be on a smaller boat with the L18. Every time I change the oil, people laugh because all they can see are my feet sticking out of the engine bay.

Yellow X9
07-10-2009, 08:31 PM
Just changed the oil. With my V-Drive Salt Water Series, the oil filter is very difficult to get to. The zip lock bag is the only way to go. Thanks Sodar.
You can barely fit the oil filter through the hoses/engine to get it out from under the engine - so there is absolutely no room for any jars, boxes, buckets, etc.

I might look into getting a remote oil filter attachment. Has anyone had any experience with those, or have any suggestions?

Every time I work on my v-drive - I think about how nice it would be to have a direct drive.
You guys with direct drive - engine in the middle - have it so easy.

I pull the engine on the X9, oil changes much easier....bwhahaahahahaah
-ahhhhh Direct Drive, engine is fully accessible

snork
07-10-2009, 09:16 PM
My experience not adding oil to the filter (2007 xstar w/ mcx) will cause a low oil pressure alarm and the you have to live with the check eng. warning every time you start the engine for the next 10 hrs or have it cleared by a service mechanic at your local or not so local dealer.;)

bigmac
07-10-2009, 09:19 PM
-ahhhhh Direct Drive, engine is fully accessible

Sure, by putting the thing in the most inconvenient location possible - right in the middle of the dance floor, in everybody's way.;)

Sodar
07-10-2009, 09:28 PM
My experience not adding oil to the filter (2007 xstar w/ mcx) will cause a low oil pressure alarm and the you have to live with the check eng. warning every time you start the engine for the next 10 hrs or have it cleared by a service mechanic at your local or not so local dealer.;)

Good info!