PDA

View Full Version : x1 vs x2

apexer
07-07-2009, 07:35 PM
what do you guys think ,can pick up an x1 for great price,or is 10 grand worth the upgrade to a x2?
how is the wake on a x1 vs x2?
you guys are great,thanks

x1 is 2008
x2 is 2008

corey
07-07-2009, 07:55 PM
Tough call man I love both boats. From a pure wake standpoint the X-1 has a better wakeboard wake and the X-2 has a better surf wake though both can be used for either.

I spend most of my time behind the X-1 hull and we primarily wakeboard, it works perfect for that. We have upgraded the ballast system by removing the hard tanks in the back and plumbing in bags. The handling on this boat is tight, like a sports car and like a sports car it doesnt handle the rough stuff all that well.

The X-2 has TONS more room in terms of storage and seating, the rough water ride is much smoother though you loose a little of the crispness of handling from the X-1. Again we ride this boat with an upgraded ballast kit (to be honest we always ride with added ballast regardless of model) which is AWESOME for surfing. I really like the VDIG dash display, I didnt think I would but I really like it esspecially the depth finder.

At the end of the day both are awesome boats, sit in them both and I'm sure will jump out as the one that works best for you.

mccobmd
07-07-2009, 11:46 PM
I had the same dilemma whien i bought my 06 X1, I'm not that into surfing and we still like to free ski some. I felt like the ski wake for the x1 at 29+MPH was better than the X2 with attitude plate but would like to hear other opinions. I also have 750's in the rear, 300 in the locker and put 200 up on the port side to surf. Can't beat the X1 for all around value and I felt for the 10,000 the X1 did all I wanted and more. If I surfed more would probably have gone with the X2 but our preference was 1) wakeboard 2) slalom free skiing and 3) surfing so the X1 was better.

apexer
07-08-2009, 12:50 AM
thanks for the info,does anyone make a extra ballast system for the X1,whats better GPS or spedo Perfect Pass,thanks

conway400
07-08-2009, 09:23 AM
I agree with all that is posted. I made the change from one to the other. Both are awesome. If it is important to you - demo both boats in rough water. And bring another family with you. You will understand the two biggest differences quickly.

Wake is great behind both. Flatter for skiing with the X-1, bigger for surfing in the X-2. Roughly same for wake boarding.

JohnE
07-08-2009, 09:54 AM
Don't discount the added space of the X2. If you are inclined to bring a lot of guests, the added room in the X2 will make a big difference.

FancySauceRules
07-08-2009, 10:03 AM
Don't discount the added space of the X2. If you are inclined to bring a lot of guests, the added room in the X2 will make a big difference.

So true. We had 8 in the boat this past weekend, all weekend. There was room to spare. Even with the fly high system, there is still room for storage.

surfacetension
07-08-2009, 10:39 AM
Two reasons for the X2 Room and Ride the X2 Has it all over for rough water ride and you can't beat the room

ORX-1
07-08-2009, 11:07 AM
I have had both boats and I loved the X-1 but there is such a difference in comfort in the X-2. I would pay the extra cash if you plan on ever having more than 4 people in your boat. The wakeboard wake is awesome in the X-2 just needs a little more weight to make it right where the X-1 stock wake is pretty nice.

again both great boats but I am so much happier with the amount of room in the X-2

SaltwaterMC
07-08-2009, 11:09 AM
I would recommend going with the GPS speed control. I haven't personally used Stargazer, but I have Zero Off and used to have Perfect Pass that used the paddle wheel and it is night and day difference. The paddle wheel system had to be drastically adjusted if you ran additional weight in the boat but the adjusted settings wouldn't hold speed when you were running just the stock ballast. Zero Off you turn on and go and it holds your speed very tightly and is super responsive. No surging or overshooting your speed and taking 30-45 seconds to settle to the set speed. Also, no adjustments are needed for differing weight setups. Chuck here at BAWS upgraded to Stargazer in his boat and says its pretty good though. So I would recommend going with the Stargazer GPS system. Although I am pretty sure you can not upgrade the Perfect Pass system that is integrated into VDIG to Stargazer.

JohnE
07-08-2009, 12:42 PM
. Although I am pretty sure you can not upgrade the Perfect Pass system that is integrated into VDIG to Stargazer.

Correct. That's why I traded my '08 X14 in for an '09. It was cheaper than buying a stand alone ZO system.

P-hat_in_Cincy
07-08-2009, 01:16 PM
Well...I am biased, but I'll state my points.

We actually downsized from a X10 to 205V/X1. We found we ended up carrying more people in a bigger boat and that lead to longer wait times b/w sets. That was not the main factor in making the switch (the wake was), but it was a factor.

I have been in and ridden a X2. They are nice! So much bigger feel than a 20' boat in the terms of space and handling (chop)! At that time, the X2 only had stock setup and it was decent. I'm sure it's much nicer with added weight.

Nonetheless, I'll hold onto my current ride.

Always wondered about these GPS speed control systems and how they compensate (or don't) for current. Seems a paddle wheel setup makes your speed relative to the water while GPS is relative to???

Anyway...take the boat talking points people mention as things to look for, but always make your decision based on your wants, needs, and budget constraints.

Take care,
Paul

bobx1
07-08-2009, 02:41 PM
With the price difference, what engines are in each? Also, what trailers (tandem or single)? After that, are they truly apples to apples (i.e. spinning racks, same speed control, same stereo/speakers, bimini, etc.)?

Own the X1 but spent time in the X2.

Ski = X1
Price = X1
Wake = X1 (IMO - one of the best hulls on the water)

Surf = X2
Space/roominess = X2
Ride in rough water = X2

mccobmd
07-08-2009, 02:48 PM
I have to echo BobX1 and P-Hat, money wasn't my bottom line but the ratings BobX1 had are right on and we still like to ski. I was out this weekend with the wind up and ride in chop is much better with the ski locker full.

hawaiianstiln
07-08-2009, 04:07 PM
I have not been in any of these other mastercraft models besides the X2 that I currently just bought and an older 205.... I went from a Malibu VLX to this X2 and I am COMPLETELY amazed out how much room this X2 has. I have never seen so much room in a boat like this and it definately does not feel like a 20 foot boat at all.

The only thing I don't like about the X2 is that it feels "bouyant" when driving it. I'm not sure if that's a great term or reference or not, but you definately have to make small corrections when steering and pulling someone because it's very touchy and floaty (is that a word). It also doesn't cut thru the water like other Malibus, Nautiques, Moomba, Tige, etc... I really think that's due to the pickle fork..????

Either way, I am just loving this boat and I like that it's different from the others!

Cary K.
07-08-2009, 04:28 PM
.....The only thing I don't like about the X2 is that it feels "bouyant" when driving it. I'm not sure if that's a great term or reference or not, but you definately have to make small corrections when steering and pulling someone because it's very touchy and floaty (is that a word). It also doesn't cut thru the water like other Malibus, Nautiques, Moomba, Tige, etc... I really think that's due to the pickle fork..????....

Have very little experience with the newer X-2, but I wonder if this is due to hull design and lack of tracking fins.

SkiDog
07-08-2009, 07:59 PM

Who's got the picture of my X2 @ CSM last year with 13 on board?

hawaiianstiln
07-08-2009, 11:41 PM
Have very little experience with the newer X-2, but I wonder if this is due to hull design and lack of tracking fins.

Why wouldn't it have tracking fins like all the other competitors put on? Is there a reason?

Ha, I didn't even realize, but just looked under the boat and you are right.. I think that's why/what i'm feeling. It also felt like it skidded out a little on the turns more than other boats I have been in. It's all starting to make sense now I guess. Seems like you have to make small corrections when pulling someone because no tracking fins. it will move easily on you when pulling someone (the back end of the boat).

JohnE
07-09-2009, 08:56 AM
Who's got the picture of my X2 @ CSM last year with 13 on board?

Exactly my point. I don't remember who has that pic.

My choice to trade the 197 in for the 214 was based on space. We had 11 people on it a few days ago. (granted 3 were ages 4, 5, and 6).

treptowr
07-09-2009, 04:18 PM
This isn't from direct experiece, but I have the X-1 Hull (205v/old X-star) and I've been told by others who ride an X-2 that my wake is more vertical and poppy than the X-2 they have ridden. Takes some getting use to. X-2 has a good wake, but a more gradual transition. 2 different wakes, one not necessarily better than the other, personal preference. Do you other's who have ridden both agree? Obviously weighting makes a difference. I've taken out the rear hard tanks and put a 400 in each side, KGB, and integrated bow sac. Ride with 4-6 adults in the boat usually. This past week had full ballast and 9 adults. Wow. Nice wake. Wake definately likes weight up front. Took a while to get on plane, would re-prop for sure if that was our normal crew.
I'm happy with my boat. One other thing to consider is garage space. I'd never fit an X-2 in my garage because my X-1 is almost too wide to get through the door.

mccobmd
07-09-2009, 05:00 PM
I have been behind both and would agree. The X1 wake sends you higher up and the X2 farther out. I had the same issue with the width where I keep my boat.