PDA

View Full Version : Howling noise from engine/transmission on an 87 prostar

deereman
07-07-2009, 08:27 PM
I took the boat out today and it started out fine but after a while it started to make a howling noise coming from the engine/transmision area. I don't think it's the transmission because it does it whether it's in gear or not. I don't know if it's something serious or normal, but it never did it until today. Any help is appreciated.

bigmac
07-07-2009, 08:31 PM
I took the boat out today and it started out fine but after a while it started to make a howling noise coming from the engine/transmision area. I don't think it's the transmission because it does it whether it's in gear or not. I don't know if it's something serious or normal, but it never did it until today. Any help is appreciated.Mine has done that every now and then. Sometimes a howling, sometimes a ringing. I assume it's the strut bearing and don't worry about it.

deereman
07-07-2009, 08:47 PM
Does it usually stop after it cools down? How does it stop for you?

bigmac
07-07-2009, 09:28 PM
Does it usually stop after it cools down? How does it stop for you?

Comes and goes randomly. Can't think of anything that makes it appear, or makes it go away. It's been doing that for about 175 hours.

boxman3
07-07-2009, 10:16 PM
When I hear any noise from that area... Water pump impeller is what I have found to be the cause.

hkallestad
07-08-2009, 04:35 AM
Mine 89 PS is singing a bit just when the propeller stops rotating after slowing down. I'm guessing the strut.

deereman
07-08-2009, 11:30 PM
We just took it up to the marina today. Were gonna be out a boat for about a week and a half and it's gonna be about a $1500 repair. The mechanic said the noise was coming from the transmission so were doing a complete transmission rebuild and that should be the fix. At least we have a spare ski boat! :)