PDA

View Full Version : starting your boat

ntidsl
07-07-2009, 02:13 PM
I'd like to hear everyone's opinion on this. A few years back I started using the following procedure for starting my 05 197 with a 350 mcx, tourney team. I noticed that at start up there was alot going on so I thought I'd split the tasks up.

1.Turn blower on
2.gather skis, ropes, handles, etc...check cooler ice
3.turn key half way to start PP and rest of dash and prime fuel
4.put on life jacket, and gloves, adjust mirror etc...
5.start boat, lift engine compartment, check hose coming from impellar for pressure and to make sure I feel water flowing
6. unhook rope and pucsh boat away from dock
7. let engine warm up completely while I get ski on, jump in and pee

Even after running the boat I alway turn the key to start dash well before I start the engine...anyone else?

Craig
07-07-2009, 02:27 PM
We trailer our boat, so slightly different but a lot of similarities.

1. Blower On
2. Add towels/water bottles from truck to boat.
3. Back boat in, turn on key let fuel prime and Stargazer wake up.
4. Warm up boat on trailer for 30-60 seconds.
4. Idle to dock, pick up crew.
5. Let boat idle until the first skier is getting ready to climb onto platform.
6. Blower Off
7. Kill motor with skier on platform (no on likes breathing more CO than they have too :)).
8. Turn key on, let all prime and boot up (usually crank when I hear the PP servo stop moving).
9. Go ski.
10. Repeat 7-9 as needed until arms fall off.

It only takes a couple of second for the fuel pump to prime on my LT-1, not sure about the MCX but I cannot imagine it takes very long. The only reason I really wait is because PP can be funny acting enough as it is so I don't want to confuse it by starting the boat mid-boot-up. I doubt it matters that much, but if it matters 1 time out of 100 that is more than enough for me to keep doing it.

mayo93prostar
07-07-2009, 02:46 PM
you guys are too complicated but I guess with the cruise control timing is more important. I can not afford the cruise control yet, hopefully next year.

Craig, I hope you use your blower everytime before you start the boat. Repeat steps 1, 7-9.

shepherd
07-07-2009, 02:48 PM
Here's my procedure:

1. Load ski gear and cooler into boat at home.
2. Hook up trailer.
3. Install plug.
4. Tow boat to ramp.
5. Immediately back boat/trailer into water so I don't tie up the ramp (after mentally asking myself if I remembered the plug).
6. Unhook boat from trailer.
7. Immediately jump in and start boat. PP starts up with no problem.
8. Back boat off trailer.
9. Engine warms up as the truck is parked.

Works every time. :)

Craig
07-07-2009, 02:50 PM
Craig, I hope you use your blower everytime before you start the boat. Repeat steps 1, 7-9.

If we have been hanging out for a bit, swimming, goofing off, etc., yes.

If we are changing out skiers or we were letting someone put a ski on, no.