PDA

View Full Version : Sell the MC or keep it?

Roonie's
07-07-2009, 02:40 PM
Over the years I have read a couple of these posts and now I am facing it myself. A dilemma....

I am considering selling my 07 X2 and use the money for projects close to home like remodel our pool and start some remodel projects in the house. My kids are young ages 6 and 4 and they have yet to get into wakeboarding or surfing etc and have not shown an interest yet.

I am finding it hard to brave the inexperienced and downright fools at the boat ramps everytime I go to launch. Moorage fees are about $300+ a month around here and they usually want a full year moorage lease signed so you pay it even during the winter months. This makes it somewhat cost prohibitive.

We recently moved into a new to us house that needs a lot of work as it hasn't been touched since 1970. The pool quotes we have gotten to remodel it are coming in around 30-40k and that is just for the pool. The kids love the pool and have used it everyday since we have moved in in May.

I love the boat and really enjoy going out on it with friends to do surfing and wakeboarding. However it only has 60 hours on it and this is the third summer we will have had it from new. So obviously we are not getting out very much. The boat is payed for so just insurance and maintenance costs which are small.

Option 1) keep it forever and plan on kids getting into wakeboarding etc later and be glad I kept it. Maybe upgrade later when they get into it.

Option 2) sell it now while I can still get good money for it and buy at a later date when kids express interest and use money for remodel costs?

Have any of you had the same dilemma and what have you done and are you glad you made the decision you made? Thanks....

russlars
07-07-2009, 03:10 PM
Interestingly enough, I purchased my MC from a guy in your same situation that decided they would use a pool more than they were using the boat. Turned out good for me since I got a great boat with low hours, but he was really torn and was worried that if the kids got into boating in the future he may not be able to afford to get back into a new boat with the way prices are going. Haven't talked to him since, so not sure how he feels about it in retrospect. I'm not sure where you are in the NW, but if you are on the "west side" you may find that the pool can be a big financial drain and if it is outdoors, it may not get that much use. Good friends of ours just had theirs filled in because of the hassle of maintaining it for the minimal amount of use it got. Since the boat is paid for, have you considered reducing your costs by skipping the moorage and trailering your boat?
If I were you, I would keep the boat and gradually work your kids into watersports. It is a great family activity, and if you sell the boat, you may never get back into boating because the kids will not have the opportunity (unless you have friends with a boat) and instead gravitate to other less desirable, non-family centered activities.:twocents:

SunCoast 83
07-07-2009, 03:21 PM
keep it....it will be hard to get back into a fully paid for Master Craft. It may be a regret down the road. the kids will come around too

Roonie's
07-07-2009, 03:26 PM
Thanks.... thats the reasoned responses I am looking for.

Yes we are in Seattle area. The kids love the pool and have used it everyday regardless of weather..... probably even go in today. I have considered skipping the pool remodel all together and use it till it breaks and then think about it then.

We don't moor the boat currently as we trailer it to Lake Sammamish usually. Would love to moor it but trying to save money right now and moorage is expensive.

My concern is the same once I sell may not be able to get back into it again or have that kind of cash set aside to indulge in this kind of toy due to economy etc.

flipper
07-07-2009, 03:30 PM
I say keep it. For us boating is great family time. My son is only one and has a long way to go before getting into water sports really, but we all have a great time together at the lake. For me the water sports side of it is just a bonus. I just enjoy the cheap vacation to relax and be with family and friends.

mayo93prostar
07-07-2009, 03:40 PM
keep it, I got rid of ours when kids were the same age and we regretted it the next year and bought another boat and wished we had kept the one we had because it was in such good condition and more importantly paid for. However, you have to do what you need to in these financial times but I expect it would be difficult to get back into such a good condition boat. Now is not a good time to sell because you will get a low price for it and likely it will not be good to buy in a few years assuming the economy improves and prices go up.

H20skeefreek
07-07-2009, 03:41 PM
You could sell it, buy an older less expensive boat and use the leftover funds to fix up the pool.

duckguy
07-07-2009, 03:46 PM
Sell it! As much as I love boating it is very expensive and at times a total pain. If you are not totally in it, sell it and wait till you feel better about it again.

cmw
07-07-2009, 03:50 PM
If it is paid for keep it. My wife says it is like a mini vacation every time we go out. Even if we just sit in a cove. My kids would rather be at a pool, but that will change soon as they get a little older. It did for me. When I was a kid a friends Dad had an old Thunderbird boat (ugly) but I would do odd jobs for him and in return he taught me to ski. If you sell, you or your wife will talk you out of another one. I would kill to have a boat like yours.

Jerseydave
07-07-2009, 03:52 PM
keep it, I got rid of ours when kids were the same age and we regretted it the next year and bought another boat and wished we had kept the one we had because it was in such good condition and more importantly paid for. However, you have to do what you need to in these financial times but I expect it would be difficult to get back into such a good condition boat. Now is not a good time to sell because you will get a low price for it and likely it will not be good to buy in a few years assuming the economy improves and prices go up.

It's a boat buyers market right now, not a sellers. Keep the boat and use it, maybe take out a home equity loan for the pool/house repairs. The interest on these loans is at the lowest they've been in 20-30 years from what I'm told (I just got one @ 4.25%)
I've had a boat since I was 20, so I can't relate to not owning one. (on #8 right now)
Nice to go boating during the day and come home for a swim, right? :)

Granite_33
07-07-2009, 04:07 PM
Take into account all aspects.

#1 Can you sell it for what you want out of it in this economy??
#2 3-4 years from now, can you work a boat back into your budget??

I have a 7 and 5 year old.
If I sold my boat now.........chances are I would NOT buy another one. Not because I would not WANT one......but because kids get busy, free time disappears, other priorities take hold, and an alternative life emerges. etc, etc.

6 and 4 are still really young for them to become interested in watersports.

My 7 year old is the occasional wakeboarder and skier....but he still loves the toob. And my 5 year old is still happy to just ride in the boat. They also both love to swim and are constantly in the water when we are anywhere close to a swimming pool or lake.

Its still all about getting the family on the boat together for me.

Since the big principle and interest payments are gone, you now have a wonderful watertoy for relatively little monthly expense.

I say keep it......all you have to do for fun is add water.........

AFX-30
07-07-2009, 04:11 PM
I got a 8 yo, 5 yo, and a 3 yo and they are all starting to board and tube. It took a little convincing and bringing along one of their older friends to get started. Now that they are started all they do when I ppick them up after work is when are we going to the lake? I would keep it and cut something else. I had a pool once and hated the maintenance part. Way to much upkeep and headache for me. A boat is a lot easier and a lot cheaper as long as you take care of it.

jixxxer
07-07-2009, 04:21 PM
I agree with H20SKEEFREEK, you can sell an X2 like yours to buy an older MC and have plenty money left over to use around the house.

Jimmauburn
07-07-2009, 04:25 PM
Boating is something that I have been around all of my life and I can even remember back when I was younger not really wanting to ski or be in a boat that often but now I have my own kids (6,9, and 14) and it is without a doubt some of the best family time you can ask for. My oldest daughter is now getting friends to come along and I know it is just a matter of time before I will be looking for a bigger boat since I am limited in the PS190. Keep the boat or maybe find one a little older that will suffice for now so you can use a little extra money on the house and pool.

Roonie's
07-07-2009, 04:38 PM
I will keep it as the family time is what we are after whether it is around the pool or in a boat we get to spend time together. Also my buddies and I love to wakeboard and surf behind it!!! I will probably delay remodel costs or do a little here and their over time to spread it out. Getting an older boat worries me some as I trust my boat and have taken excellent care of it so no suprises. I also have the feeling if I sold it I might not ever be a boat owner again..... always other things to spend money on for family etc. I have grown up with boats and been a boat owner my entire life so will continue..... was just re-evaluating this due to current economy and wanting to make life simpler. But I totally agree family time is worth the money spent.

peason
07-07-2009, 04:40 PM
Who cares what the kids want - send them to a year round boarding school that has a pool if they don't like wakeboarding or surfing!
Seriously - I know it seems like they aren't all that into it now, but sometimes all it takes is seeing someone else thier age trying it and then they don't want to do anything else. I agree with others that should keep it and with the way you take care of it - the boat will last a long, long time - someday the boys may even talk you into letting them take it out by themselves with thier friends! Hope all is well, good luck with your decision.

sand2snow22
07-07-2009, 05:19 PM
Keep it. Do you still have the lake cabin? Sure would be nice to use it there. Even if it's only once or twice a year.

Roonie's
07-07-2009, 05:21 PM
Who cares what the kids want - send them to a year round boarding school that has a pool if they don't like wakeboarding or surfing!
Seriously - I know it seems like they aren't all that into it now, but sometimes all it takes is seeing someone else thier age trying it and then they don't want to do anything else. I agree with others that should keep it and with the way you take care of it - the boat will last a long, long time - someday the boys may even talk you into letting them take it out by themselves with thier friends! Hope all is well, good luck with your decision.

LOL.... hi Phil. Your kids rock the wakeboard behind my boat. Too bad we moved away and your kids can't show my kids how to make it happen!

Roonie's
07-07-2009, 05:22 PM
Keep it. Do you still have the lake cabin? Sure would be nice to use it there. Even if it's only once or twice a year.

Yes we do (considering selling it too)........ can get by without going on lake but sure is nice to have a boat there when we are there.

Sodar
07-07-2009, 05:25 PM
I say sell it. Hands down. The worst thing for a boat is having it sit. Get rid of it, use the money for something that will give you a better return of fun and enjoyment and worry about getting into another boat later, if that time comes. Having $$$$ wrapped up in something that gets used a few times a year is lame and the reason, I too, am questioning selling/keeping.

alletric
07-07-2009, 05:39 PM
I say sell it. Hands down. The worst thing for a boat is having it sit. Get rid of it, use the money for something that will give you a better return of fun and enjoyment and worry about getting into another boat later, if that time comes. Having $$$$ wrapped up in something that gets used a few times a year is lame and the reason, I too, am questioning selling/keeping.

Totally agree. If you are not totally into it sell it. We put a pool in a year ago and it is constantly used by the family.

jdl xstar
07-07-2009, 06:42 PM
Sell. You're averaging 20 hours a year which is next to nothing so you should put your money and energy into something that will get a better lifestyle return on investment. Plus, even though this isn't a sellers market, the low hours should get a premium in the pre-owned market. Good luck from a fellow 07 X2 owner.

snork
07-07-2009, 09:13 PM
Market, market, market, not today but maybe tomorrow. You'll be very unhappy for what you can get for your X2 today. Try low interest loan, use your boat and when the market is better you can sell if needed and pay off the loan.

justinglow
07-07-2009, 10:10 PM

Cam are you serious about selling your boat?

BriEOD
07-07-2009, 10:43 PM
Interesting question. The only reason I'd consider keeping it is that it is paid for. Moreover, I'd like to commend you for that. When I hear people financing a toy for 7-10 years I'm in shock. I'd say sell it. You only have 60-70 hours on it over three years? I just put 35 hours on mine in about a month. Spend the money on something your family can put to good use. If you're not all the way in on the boat and getting good use (how long is a season in the NW?) it is just an expensive yard ornament. If down the road you want to get back in, you will. :twocents:

sand2snow22
07-07-2009, 11:00 PM
I'm going to have to slightly disagree with it's a buyers market, especially with this model boat and as long as you didn't get screwed on your purchase. True prices aren't as high as they used to be, but in my neck of the woods we've seen the bottom. People are being stupid again. I've seen more demand for the X2.

Roonie's, you can sell that for mid to low 40's all day everyday. Having said that, I'll buy it for $35k today:)

Ski-me
07-08-2009, 12:18 PM
We had a pool in Spokane when I was a kid and it was a blast for the first few months. As each year passed, it really got used less and less. I spent most of my time (as a kid without a dad living with us) cleaning and maintaining the pool. Cleaning filter, adding chemicals, fixing the cover, etc. I know Seattle only has a short window of pool usage so bang for the buck, I wouldn't put the money in the pool. For resale, it's nice to have but it would only be considered a "perk" for a home purchaser. I don't think you are going to get $40k back in resale. Pools are just too rare in Seattle.

I understand the age deal. My 8 yr old LOVES the pool! The 11 and 13 yr old can take it either way. What is cool is the 11 and 13 yr old are really enjoying the skiing. We're out at the lake right now and they are both working on their single ski dropping. The 8 yr old is starting to find a little interest in skiing but the ears really perk up when tubing is mentioned.....especially with her cousins.

Bottom line, your kids are a little early in age for total boat enjoyment. But a pool is a little over the top for a Seattle home and you won't get a lot of the money back on the re-sale. I don't think I would get rid of a boat completely, but I may sell the X2 and purchase a cheaper one. Put the rest of the money in some strategic locations for remodeling the house. Always keep resale in the equation.....sorry, it's in our blood. (My wife sold real estate in Seattle for 5 yrs and Colorado Springs for another 7 yrs).

Living in Colorado, we didn't know how much we would use the boat. If we got a $13k boat and didn't end up using it......I'm much happier than if we bought a $33k boat. Fortunately, we really use our boat and now looking at a 197 vs our 205......I don't think the 197 is $20k better than our 205. Some of the older boats really perform great.

Oh, and keeping things paid for is the way to go. Just imagine where you may be if you were making payments on this boat and not using it. THAT would be stressful. Be thankful you actually HAVE options.

Just some thoughts for you......

nmcjr
07-08-2009, 01:50 PM
I would say your kids are on the cusp of enjoying watersports now, but for sure by the time they are in their teens it is a good way to keep them busy and know where they are--with you.

FWIW, my neighbor sold his last year when their second was born, and guess what they are doing now--boat shopping!

barefoot
07-08-2009, 03:42 PM
Let me ask this: would there ever be a time when you would said you use your boat TOO much?

I ask because all the boaters I talk with--the sailors, skiers, cruisers, etc--say they don't use their boats enough. Mine boat, for one, spends a lot of time on my lift. When we use it, we usually spend most of the day on the water. Those are the days I wouldn't trade my boat for the cash value of it. I could talk about how it's a stress reliever or a great workout, but I justify my boat purchase by my 2 1/2 year old. I know she loves the boat...loves being out on the water. Seeing her smile when we get to the lake or the excitement in her voice when she yells 'Go faster!' makes it all worth it for me. I know I'll have a ski buddy in a few years...so because of that, I'm keeping my boat.

Granite_33
07-08-2009, 03:55 PM
We had a pool in Spokane when I was a kid and it was a blast for the first few months. As each year passed, it really got used less and less. I spent most of my time (as a kid without a dad living with us) cleaning and maintaining the pool. Cleaning filter, adding chemicals, fixing the cover, etc. I know Seattle only has a short window of pool usage so bang for the buck, I wouldn't put the money in the pool. For resale, it's nice to have but it would only be considered a "perk" for a home purchaser. I don't think you are going to get $40k back in resale. Pools are just too rare in Seattle.......

Every real estate agent I have dealt with would say that you cut the number of prospective buyers by about 50% with a pool in the back yard. "You will never sell a house with a pool to a buyer that does not want a pool."

Being that I just bought a house last year....we looked at several houses with Pools.......didn't want the pool.....passed on the house.

T Scott
07-08-2009, 05:00 PM
You could sell it, buy an older less expensive boat and use the leftover funds to fix up the pool.

My advice as well. Sell your boat and buy an older 1999-2000 X-star for $20kish. Others that you could consider in a lower price range could be a Prostar 205, Prostar 190, Prostar 197, Maristar 200VRS, etc.

Lots of options!

dapicatti
07-08-2009, 11:59 PM
I know you said you are keeping it, but I have to agree with others here- the pool thing in Seattle area is nice, but we are having a really rare summer of nice weather. Wait untill there is 75 days in a row without sunshine, starting in June. It happens. The boat can be towed a short 2 hour trip to Vantage- usually sunny and hot- you can't pick up the pool and move it to the sun.
We lived in Bellevue for years, came to Eastern WA every weekend just to see the sun =and go boating. Plus, remember the appraisers term for a pool "Attractive nuisance". There are other places than Sammamish to go with your boat on the Westside, I don't like all the crazies on that lake either.