PDA

View Full Version : Is this fuel delivery or electrical?

srtalley1
07-07-2009, 11:23 AM
I have a 1996 Prostar 205 with an Indmar 350 TBI. The motor will start and run fine but after 20-40 minutes the motor cuts out once it is under a load. It will idle just fine and if I put the motor in neutral and rev the engine everything sounds and runs great. But, once I out the motor in gear and apply a load it will bog down. The motor will then surge up and down. If I let the boat sit for a few days it will start and run just fine up to 35mph, I have lost my top end and after running for 20-30 minutes the motor bogs down start the whole process over again.

My fuel pump at idle is running at 30psi, but with the motor revved in neutral the gauge drops to 18psi. Is this normal? I have not been able to run a psi check on the water with a load on the motor.

My engine temp stays between 160 & 180.

Please help!

srtalley1
07-07-2009, 11:24 AM
I have a 1996 Prostar 205 with an Indmar 350 TBI. The motor will start and run fine but after 20-40 minutes the motor cuts out once it is under a load. It will idle just fine and if I put the motor in neutral and rev the engine everything sounds and runs great. But, once I out the motor in gear and apply a load it will bog down. The motor will then surge up and down. If I let the boat sit for a few days it will start and run just fine up to 35mph, I have lost my top end and after running for 20-30 minutes the motor bogs down start the whole process over again.

My fuel pump at idle is running at 30psi, but with the motor revved in neutral the gauge drops to 18 psi. Is this normal? I have not been able to run a psi check on the water with a load on the motor.

Please help!

André
07-07-2009, 11:30 AM
Don't think it's not normal for the fuel pressure to drop that much.
Pressure could drop from a clogged pick up in the tank of there is a screen right at the inlet of the pump itself right under the brass fitting.Mine gets block every 2 years with dogs hair,carpet fibers and other debris...
Those fuel pump are really reliable unlike newer ones...
Good luck!
Jim should be here soon to guide you more...:)

srtalley1
07-07-2009, 02:06 PM
I did look at the screen at the bottom of the fuel pump it was clean and had no signs of debris. I have noticed that my fuel gauge has not moved from showing a full tank?

MYMC
07-07-2009, 04:26 PM
Andre is correct there is a screen on the pump (tank side) fitting. The debris from the tank blocks the screen as you run the boat...shut it off and the debris drifts back down the line. Clean the screen, line and tank. If memory serves, I believe there is an inline filter after the pump? If so you can cut this screen out and never have this issue again.

MYMC
07-07-2009, 04:27 PM
I did look at the screen at the bottom of the fuel pump it was clean and had no signs of debris. I have noticed that my fuel gauge has not moved from showing a full tank?
If the engine has sat the debris will not be there...it has drifted back down the line.