PDA

View Full Version : Help, major problem today meltdown

stennes
07-07-2009, 01:02 AM
We were on the house boat, and my son left my X30 idleing (we didnt know) anyway we hooked it up to the houseboat to pull it on up lake with us when we noticed smoke billowing out of the engine compartment. I need some pictures of how all the hoses run for the cooling. First observation, I think I will need a new raw water pump, exhaust manifolds and all water plumbing for them, the exhaust hoses to muffler and the plastic piece that goes on the engine cover (bottom side of cover, and I will need the plastic sides that fold out of the way on each side of the engine. Where would the best place to get these parts from? Are the MC exhaust manifolds different than ones say at Discount Marine? I'm hoping the engine didnt sustain any permant damage, but we will do a compreesion check to see if it warped a head, at least it started up after it cooled off.

mayo93prostar
07-07-2009, 07:53 AM
so what happened. it should not have overheated by towing it behind a houseboat on the water.

stennes
07-07-2009, 11:13 AM
it shouldnt have, he forgot to shut it off, all I can figure is that either the raw water pump became plugged up, there was allot of crap in the water or the impeller in it came apart. Weird thing is I just put a new impeller in before we left. It pretty much melted everthing close to the exhaust.

eta; Anyway, it had become so hot that the plastic panels on the side next to the engine melted, the plastic piece over the intake that mounts to the cover melted, and I'm not sure if exhaust manifolds and muffler are salvageable, how do you check? I'm hopeing the engine is ok as it was knocking like a MOFO when I got to it, but it started right up here at home and did sound ok, we going to do a comp test and pressure test to see if there was any warpage or the head gasket blew. What are the exact names of the parts that melted? How do I test a exhaust manifold to see if its good? Are there any pictures or manulas online that can show me what hoses go where?

helton333
07-07-2009, 02:52 PM
SOOO Sorry, Just my 2 cents and comfort level - take it out and take it to a really good MC dealer - let them take over - seems quite dramatic

SunCoast 83
07-07-2009, 02:55 PM
I hope all of that turns out ok. Please keep us posted

hawaiianstiln
07-07-2009, 04:42 PM
well you need to do a compression check after you replace the damaged parts on the outside of the engine. Your major problem will be that since the engine overheated that much or that long, more likely you are going to have a cracked head and require some machine work.

Insurrance claim time..... :) Sorry to hear about your problems. I left my engine running one time in Hawaii (my old malibu) and went back up to wash the trailer down from the salt water and walked back and heard alarms going off. I had not replaced the impeller yet and it caused and overheat and cracked a head. Then had some buddies pulling me and hose popped off the intake before the impeller and started smoking while I was riding. Nobody was watching the temp guage and kept pulling me. That was another cracked head. :(

stennes
07-07-2009, 07:09 PM
Well we stripped the panels out and, the apparent damage is all the plastic fittings on the exhaust manifolds hoses still look good though, no water in the oil, it fired right up and other than all the exhaust leaks ran smooth. I only see the one hose from the manifold to the muffler that looks questionable? The exhaust manifolds seem to be coated with the remains of the plastic side panels and the top platic piece that mounts over the intake on the sun deck/engine cover? Does anyone know how to determin if the exhaust manifolds are ok or need to be replaced? What is the proper name of the plastic panel above the intake and the 2 piece panels on both sides of the engine? Than where would the best place be to get those parts? I would love to take it to my dealer but hes 3 hours away and from what I have seen so far this is not something I cant handle, and save some $$$$$.
Thanks
Black center piece, I need
http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww242/stennes/centerpiece.jpg
Left and Right Side Panels I need
http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww242/stennes/leftpanel.jpg
http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww242/stennes/rightpanel.jpg

stennes
07-07-2009, 07:30 PM
And on a side note what is the difference between the 03 and 04 exhaust manifolds? The 04's look like one piece designs vs the 03's 2 piece?
http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww242/stennes/04exhaust.jpg
http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww242/stennes/engineexhaust.jpg

stennes
07-07-2009, 08:35 PM
Some of the carnage
http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww242/stennes/LakeRoosevelt09048.jpg
http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww242/stennes/LakeRoosevelt09051.jpg
http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww242/stennes/LakeRoosevelt09056.jpg
http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww242/stennes/LakeRoosevelt09057.jpg

Thrall
07-07-2009, 08:51 PM
Ouch! I thought the first pics were of the damage (not so bad:rolleyes:), then I scrolled down.......
If it starts and runs fine you're probably ok. Think about car engines and how hot they (and their components) get. Are the MCX's iron block and heads or do they have any aluminum in them. If all iron, I've driven my share of small block chevies to the point of major overheating with little ill effects.
Manifolds should be fine, they're cast iron, just some sanding and painting. I'd see if you can get a parts diagram from MC or Indmar and go to town. Side panels would certainly come from MC unless you wanted to fab and carpet your own.
Good luck.

Covi
07-07-2009, 08:55 PM
Omg............

Chicago190
07-07-2009, 09:21 PM
So did you figure out what caused it to overheat?

JimN
07-07-2009, 09:27 PM
You need to go through this with a fine toothed comb, If it got that hot, the harness may have melted onto the motor and that causes wires to be exposed because the insulation melts. If that's OK, the oil absolutely needs to be changed because it's not made for the temperatures it was exposed to. It's also possible to have damaged the intake and head gaskets, to the point that you won't know they're bad until they fail catastrophically. Knocking when it's that hot usually means it's experiencing detonation, which is pretty normal at overheat. I doubt the exhaust manifolds are bad if they're cast iron but the riser gaskets may be bad and I would pull the manifolds off to make sure anything used to seal at the mating surfaces is still on good condition.

As Stuart found out, it may have been a loose hose clamp on the raw water intake side of the pump.

stennes
07-07-2009, 09:29 PM
Have not taken the raw water pump cover off yet, there wasnt any water in the hull so I ruled out a water fitting breaking unless the bilage it was on auto kept it clean ut I dout it could keep up? I want to say something must have gotten into the raw water pump and plugged it or just idileing for as long as it did it just wasnt enough to keep it cool, I know it always idles warmer than it does when were out crusing so maybe it just kept getting hotter and hotter? Will be taking the cover off tomorrow.

Since allot of these part may or may not be in the system and since I will be buying allot and, also the fact I will be decriing allot of parts for lack of proper terms who would be the best source for parts? My dealer does not handle M any more and I do not know anything about the new dealer. My old dealer said he can get parts, and do the work ut he said MC is slower to non dealers and I would like to be back up and going before the end of the month.

JimN
07-07-2009, 09:42 PM
Have not taken the raw water pump cover off yet, there wasnt any water in the hull so I ruled out a water fitting breaking unless the bilage it was on auto kept it clean ut I dout it could keep up? I want to say something must have gotten into the raw water pump and plugged it or just idileing for as long as it did it just wasnt enough to keep it cool, I know it always idles warmer than it does when were out crusing so maybe it just kept getting hotter and hotter? Will be taking the cover off tomorrow.

Since allot of these part may or may not be in the system and since I will be buying allot and, also the fact I will be decriing allot of parts for lack of proper terms who would be the best source for parts? My dealer does not handle M any more and I do not know anything about the new dealer. My old dealer said he can get parts, and do the work ut he said MC is slower to non dealers and I would like to be back up and going before the end of the month.

If the raw water side of the pump had a leak, it would have been sucking air in, not water. At higher RPM, it'll have the water pressure to feed it but idling, it just sucks air and won't leak a drop. It's possible that a plastic bag was floating past and got sucked against the strainer and when the motor was shut off, it just went away.

Any sensors are GM parts and for that matter, most of the engine is stock GM stuff. The plastic inserts on the exhaust manifolds are common plumbing thread, so you could use brass if you want. Just use Teflon paste when you install them. The plastic panels can be made with woodworking machines like a table saw and router. The material may be Star Board and if you have a plastics dealer in your area, they can tell you what it is. McMaster-Carr is one online dealer for many materials.

BriEOD
07-07-2009, 10:51 PM
Wow! What a cautionary tale. Good luck!

hawaiianstiln
07-08-2009, 02:52 AM
no water in the oil is great, but a cracked head from overheating can cause other things: Huge loss of power, very fumey, etc... Can't remember who I heard it from, the dealer or indmar, but if you get those indmars over 210 degrees for a certain period, you become very vulnerable to a cracked head.

Compression guages are fairly cheap at autozone and always good to have one.

The pictures are blocked at work so I can't see the damage, but did you check the fuel injectors to make sure nothing got melted on each connection?

stennes
07-08-2009, 10:06 AM
no water in the oil is great, but a cracked head from overheating can cause other things: Huge loss of power, very fumey, etc... Can't remember who I heard it from, the dealer or indmar, but if you get those indmars over 210 degrees for a certain period, you become very vulnerable to a cracked head.

Compression guages are fairly cheap at autozone and always good to have one.

The pictures are blocked at work so I can't see the damage, but did you check the fuel injectors to make sure nothing got melted on each connection?

The damage to the engine that is visable, is the plastic connectors that melted out of the exhaust manifolds and plastic residdue on them. The top looks fine didnt even discolor the paint on the block, heads or intake. All wires are intact with no melted or discolored insulation.

XPC Sealman
07-08-2009, 11:07 AM
Wow! I cannot beleive that did not cause a flame at that temp!

stennes
07-08-2009, 11:41 AM
Wow! I cannot beleive that did not cause a flame at that temp!

Me either, lots of smoke and melted plastic

mpm32
07-08-2009, 12:43 PM
Wow, I'm now going to look for the thread "How to repair a broken son?" ;)

brucemac
07-08-2009, 04:25 PM
wow stennes, what a trip!!!! really sorry to hear about that.

i'll reply back to your pm. i want to hear more about the water level. that sounds bizzarro.

again, sorry to hear about the misfortune.

stennes
07-09-2009, 12:40 PM
UPDATE, the engine checked out fine, comp test was good and even, leak down past, no discoloring of the heads paint after we cleaned it up, valve covers are still brite red, I took the exhaust manifolds off to clean them, need new water exhaust hoses and fittings. The raw water pump impeller had come apart, and yes I just replaced it, we think being towed, left on caused some sort of water disturbance that didnt allow sufficiant water flow to the pump causing it to slowly over heat. We had to have caught it in time as all it did was ruin the side panels, which made the exhaust manifolds a mess. Heck the paint is still intact on the exhaust manifolds, a little bllistard, but intact. Hell the spark plugs didnt even show signs of detonation.

JimN
07-09-2009, 12:48 PM
UPDATE, the engine checked out fine, comp test was good and even, leak down past, no discoloring of the heads paint after we cleaned it up, valve covers are still brite red, I took the exhaust manifolds off to clean them, need new water exhaust hoses and fittings. The raw water pump impeller had come apart, and yes I just replaced it, we think being towed, left on caused some sort of water disturbance that didnt allow sufficiant water flow to the pump causing it to slowly over heat. We had to have caught it in time as all it did was ruin the side panels, which made the exhaust manifolds a mess. Heck the paint is still intact on the exhaust manifolds, a little bllistard, but intact. Hell the spark plugs didnt even show signs of detonation.

Cool, now change the oil/filter and if the manifolds are powder coated, a plastic scraper may remove the melted-on material from the side panels.

hawaiianstiln
07-09-2009, 12:49 PM
awesome, I'm glad that leak down test passed. That's great news!

btriantos
07-09-2009, 01:16 PM
Wow, that sucker must have been really hot. Those exhaust manifolds heated so much, they even drooped. I would take it to the dealer and put an insurance claim in. This may haunt you for some time if it's not checked out and repaired properly

stennes
07-09-2009, 02:01 PM
Cool, now change the oil/filter and if the manifolds are powder coated, a plastic scraper may remove the melted-on material from the side panels.

I was thinking of using the bead laster, clean them up real good and just repaint them with some header paint, they will never get hot enough to burn that off., we have drained the oil, going to start reassembling tomorrow. The manifolds are not drooped at all, and as far as taking it the dealer what can they do that my engine builder can do?

brucemac
07-09-2009, 04:44 PM
cool beans man. that's good news. you lucked out.

JTNG
07-09-2009, 04:53 PM
My brother had something similar happen to his X-45. Be sure and replace the plastic fittings on the manifolds with brass. His plastic fitting melted while riding and water sprayed into his intake causing damage!

flipper
07-09-2009, 05:09 PM

Glad to hear...you got lucky

stennes
07-09-2009, 07:51 PM
Well, all is pretty well, we didnt like the right exhaust manifold it seemed that there might be some exhaust coming out of the water jacket so I sent it off to be pressure tested just to be safe. So gaskets, some oil, a tune up and odds and ends I should be up and going next week.:dance::banana:

stennes
08-05-2009, 12:32 PM
Ok, I have gotten about 70% of the parts replaced, all the engine parts, just waiting on the side panels.
I took it out Saturday and it ran fine, a couple leaks, that stopped with a little more turn on the clamps, the Raw Water pump has a ddrip, so I ordered a new one and can fix this as a spare, at least its not so ad I can ski. So I have two remaining questions
1. The raw water pump has a steady drip, ut the enggine stays around 160* so it SHOULD be ok as long as I keep a eye on it, until the new one comes.

2. The exhaust seems to have allot of steam coming up from the water that I dont remember (or noticed) The oil is not milky so now that I'm real jumpy is this normal?

btriantos
08-05-2009, 12:36 PM
uh...sounds like you might have warped your heads, as it appears that water might be getting into the combustion chambers. It's possible that it's a gasket, but the odds are low. When you overheat, that is the biggest threat...warping your heads

X-5 Driver
08-05-2009, 12:44 PM
Wow, I'm now going to look for the thread "How to repair a broken son?" ;)

I was just going to ask, has the young man recovered from his injuries yet? ;)

Dan K
08-05-2009, 01:50 PM
2. The exhaust seems to have allot of steam coming up from the water that I dont remember (or noticed) The oil is not milky so now that I'm real jumpy is this normal?

Appears to be a head gasket if your lucky but more likely a warped or cracked head as other have said. Don't keep running it our you risk major damage.

PhotoInc
08-05-2009, 02:28 PM

I just dealt with this issue, people were saying headgasket or head ( didn't over heat my engine). Did a compression check, cylinders were good. Turns out the riser gasket failed, and was letting water into my right rear cylinders. Pull your plugs and look for water. If it's there and your compression test was good, check your riser gaskets again as you stated you R&R ed the manifolds and risers, Maybe you didn't get one torqued down good. I used the Hi Temp RTV silicone on both mating surfaces. She's hold good!
I would start there before I start ripping the heads off.

David

stennes
08-05-2009, 05:58 PM
compression test was perfect and so was the leak down. wouldnt a warped or cracked head or blown head gasket show on those test? it could be the riser gasket i guess... i installed them dry.

Finnsdad
08-05-2009, 07:06 PM
I was just going to ask, has the young man recovered from his injuries yet? ;)

Even though most know you are joking, there is really nothing funny about that.

X-5 Driver
08-05-2009, 07:37 PM
Even though most know you are joking, there is really nothing funny about that.

Really? Wow, I guess I have a darker brand of humor than most. I did make sure to attach the winky guy as a disclaimer. I guess that failed horribly.

stennes
08-05-2009, 08:02 PM
Really? Wow, I guess I have a darker brand of humor than most. I did make sure to attach the winky guy as a disclaimer. I guess that failed horribly.

I dont know, I thought it was pretty funny and right up our humor alley:D. Yes hes home now, the doctor says he should be able to feed himself in another month, and start physical therapy soon after;). One thing is for sure the next boat he takes out will be his own! There are those who know and there are those who pretend and act like they know, guess which catagory he falls in??????? Funny thing is, he actually asked his mom if he could take his girlfriend out in my Camaro over the weekend :mad:,******:confused: I wished I would have been there when she said only if you can make a cash deposit for what he has into it....................

ETA, Like Bill Cosby once said "I brought you into this world, and I can take you right back out"

stennes
08-05-2009, 08:07 PM
I just dealt with this issue, people were saying headgasket or head ( didn't over heat my engine). Did a compression check, cylinders were good. Turns out the riser gasket failed, and was letting water into my right rear cylinders. Pull your plugs and look for water. If it's there and your compression test was good, check your riser gaskets again as you stated you R&R ed the manifolds and risers, Maybe you didn't get one torqued down good. I used the Hi Temp RTV silicone on both mating surfaces. She's hold good!
I would start there before I start ripping the heads off.

David

Thats what I'm thinking, it over heated but I dont think it was as badd as I originally thought as it didnt really burn any paint off anywhere except on the exhaust manifolds and that was limited to the top of the risers, most of it was just burnt plastic from the panels that fell against the manifolds. It didnt even melt any wires or discolor the block or intake.

Bert
08-05-2009, 08:41 PM
Thats what I'm thinking, it over heated but I dont think it was as badd as I originally thought as it didnt really burn any paint off anywhere except on the exhaust manifolds and that was limited to the top of the risers, most of it was just burnt plastic from the panels that fell against the manifolds. It didnt even melt any wires or discolor the block or intake.
Don't think any thing is wrong with your engine. If you assembled the risers dry as you said I would take apart and re assemble with some gasket sealant. Bet that solves your problem.

PhotoInc
08-06-2009, 09:26 AM
ETA, Like Bill Cosby once said "I brought you into this world, and I can take you right back out"

To add to the rest of Bill's quote which is my favorite part ..." I'll make another one that looks just like you!"

My son is 4 and I'm very patiently waiting for those years to start, really enjoying where he is now!