PDA

View Full Version : Skiing in 145 degree water!!!(pic)

rhsprostar
07-06-2009, 08:46 PM
Ok this is ridiculous........Does anyone know how to fix this????:confused:

ski_king
07-06-2009, 09:05 PM
Move further north?

jmac197
07-06-2009, 09:07 PM
Looks like mine! It does the same thing. Anyone know the solution?

05 x7 w/ MCX

rhsprostar
07-06-2009, 09:08 PM
Move further north?

Well.....i already live in Canada so maybe Alaska?:D

JLeuck64
07-06-2009, 09:25 PM
Ok this is ridiculous........Does anyone know how to fix this????:confused:

That's curious... Do you have any idea where the sensor that measures the lake temp is located on your boat? Just wondering if it is picking up latent heat from the engine compartment...

JimN
07-06-2009, 09:30 PM
It's global warming, I tells ya!

rhsprostar
07-06-2009, 09:46 PM
That's curious... Do you have any idea where the sensor that measures the lake temp is located on your boat? Just wondering if it is picking up latent heat from the engine compartment...

I think its in the paddle wheel. Can it be reset or adjusted? Maybe a bad ground?

JohnE
07-06-2009, 10:25 PM
Do you ski on a lake that cools a reactor?

WTRSK1R
07-06-2009, 10:48 PM

The sensor is built into the paddle wheel for the speedometer. If you unplug the connector going to the paddlewheel, the gauge should go to it lower limit since it will no longer have the thermocouple connected. Mine reads 40 degrees when I do this. If it does not drop to that level, it could be something in the control module that is feeding the gauge display. Beyond this, I can not suggest much since it is a simple thermocouple that is basically reading a voltage drop across a temp sensitive resistor.

Mine reads about 5 degrees higher when reading it in the accesory position then it reads when the engine is running. I have been trying to figure out the issue, and have not come up with a solution yet. It is accurate when the key is in accessory, and about 5 degrees low when the boat is running.

Good Luck

Steve

rhsprostar
07-06-2009, 11:02 PM
wtrsk1r
Good idea, i will try unplugging it. I will also check for the variance between the acc and run positions. Can a sensor like this go bad? Could it be cleaned in any way shape or form?

rhsprostar
07-06-2009, 11:05 PM
Do you ski on a lake that cools a reactor?

No, although i thought there was someone on this forum that did and skis almost all winter!:headbang:

bigmac
07-06-2009, 11:32 PM
wtrsk1r
Good idea, i will try unplugging it. I will also check for the variance between the acc and run positions. Can a sensor like this go bad? Could it be cleaned in any way shape or form?
Yes, the sensor can go bad...in fact that's usually the problem. Solution is a new paddlewheel with temp sensor.

rhsprostar
07-06-2009, 11:47 PM
bigmac
Do you have to remove the whole through hull fitting to change out the paddle wheel assembly?

TallRedRider
07-07-2009, 12:27 AM
Mine reads whatever the air temperature is. So it is a waste of time. I thiink that it probably pulled back. I will have to look at it one of these days.

I wondered if you had engine water that had leaked into the bilge and was on the temp sensor?

bigmac
07-07-2009, 12:30 AM
bigmac
Do you have to remove the whole through hull fitting to change out the paddle wheel assembly?
No, you should be able to just unplug the connector, give the insert a twist and it will pop right out of the housing. Very simple switch.

jmac197
07-07-2009, 12:37 AM
No, you should be able to just unplug the connector, give the insert a twist and it will pop right out of the housing. Very simple switch.

Do we need to say....do it when the boat is out of the water.....:D

jmac197
07-07-2009, 12:39 AM
From the 06 manual.....

"Lake temperature is also standard on the gauge.This comes from the paddle wheel located under the boat. If the sensor becomes open or shorts-out to the battery, it will read 32 F. If the sensor is shorted to ground it will read 150 F. The temperature is also where the SELF TEST is located. With the lake temperature displayed, hold down the gauge selection display button for three seconds or until the self test has started. During the test, all the segments on the display will light up. Also during the self test, the gauges will re-set, go to mid-scale and then to full-scale. After two sweeps the system returns to normal."

rhsprostar
07-07-2009, 12:48 AM
From the 06 manual.....

"Lake temperature is also standard on the gauge.This comes from the paddle wheel located under the boat. If the sensor becomes open or shorts-out to the battery, it will read 32 F. If the sensor is shorted to ground it will read 150 F. The temperature is also where the SELF TEST is located. With the lake temperature displayed, hold down the gauge selection display button for three seconds or until the self test has started. During the test, all the segments on the display will light up. Also during the self test, the gauges will re-set, go to mid-scale and then to full-scale. After two sweeps the system returns to normal."

Manual???......i dont need no stinkin' manual....i got you guys.....much easier than digging out the actual paper version! And need i say slightly more entertaining at times:D Now i better go check the swimsuit thread again.....

Oh ya and i will try the reset self test! thanks

scharette
07-07-2009, 07:39 AM
Have similar problem with my PerfectPass. I've called them and i was told that the only way to fix this is to change the paddle wheel the temp sensor is built in this unit. The number your are seeing is the maximum number tha the unit can display. The price for the paddle wheel at PerfectPass was 80$ something...

djhuff
07-07-2009, 08:41 AM
Yes, there are some of us on here that ride in heated waters (usually, coal fired plants have warm lakes, nuclear reactors tend to cool the water much more before returning it to the lake). Only thing is, during the hottest of the summer, it still only gets to 101-102 at the discharge and doesn't hold that high for too long, usually around 95 for most of the lake.

JohnE
07-07-2009, 09:31 AM
Do we need to say....do it when the boat is out of the water.....:D

I was going to say the same thing.;)

east tx skier
07-07-2009, 10:49 AM
Water by our dock was 104 on the 4th. Stuck my foot in the water and have no reason to doubt that reading. Water is shallow there (about 4 feet). But even on the river, it was 96 degrees.

TX.X-30 fan
07-07-2009, 12:22 PM
gET A TOUCHSCREEN.

rspiecha
07-07-2009, 02:54 PM
At those temperatures, please reframe from snorting water up the nose:) Those amoeba's will get you.