PDA

View Full Version : run out of gas and boat will not start

cammac
07-06-2009, 08:25 PM
on the 4th of july my family and I went out on the lake to watch fireworks and on the way back we ran out of gas. Well I filled up the tank with gas but it will not start now, any suggestions on how to get it to run? it will not turn over. Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

RoverGuy04
07-06-2009, 08:30 PM
The engine is cranking, just not firing correct? Might be a case of vaporlock or the fuel pump isn't priming due to vacuum in the fuel tank. Try starting the boat with your fuel cap unscrewed...

trickskier
07-06-2009, 08:35 PM
What year is your boat?

RoverGuy04
07-06-2009, 08:37 PM
Appears to be an '03 Prostar 209 with a 350MCX based off his profile...

bigmac
07-06-2009, 08:39 PM
Does the starter engage ("click")? Or is it just dead? Do your instruments spin up?

So many possibilities go along with "will not turn over". A more complete description of your symptoms would be more helpful.

Vapor lock would be unusual, some would say impossible, in a fuel injected engine.

TX.X-30 fan
07-06-2009, 08:40 PM
Fuel pump took a dirt nap???

trickskier
07-06-2009, 08:41 PM
Never Mind

bigmac
07-06-2009, 08:43 PM
Agree, fuel pump is a reasonable thought if it turns over but won't fire. He said it wouldn't turn over, however.

trickskier
07-06-2009, 08:52 PM
Agree, fuel pump is a reasonable thought if it turns over but won't fire. He said it wouldn't turn over, however.

Yeah, running out of gas should't cause the engine to seize.

cammac
07-06-2009, 09:28 PM
our boat is a 2003 prostar 209

cammac
07-06-2009, 09:46 PM
the boat will turn over but will not start. the gas guage and the volt meter respond but the other instruments don't respond.

I have turned the key on in the hope that the fuel pump will move gas up into the lines and into the engine. Still no luck.

Would running out of gas cause the pump to keep working and then seize. I tried to start it a couple of times and then turned the engine off.

Suggestions?

bigmac
07-06-2009, 09:49 PM
Try removing and reseating your kill switch.

Could indeed be a fried fuel pump. The only way you'll know is by checking fuel pressure. There's a bicycle-type valve (Schrader valve) on the fuel rail. With the key on, see if it has any fuel pressure behind it.

trickskier
07-06-2009, 09:51 PM
the boat will turn over but will not start. the gas guage and the volt meter respond but the other instruments don't respond.

I have turned the key on in the hope that the fuel pump will move gas up into the lines and into the engine. Still no luck.

Would running out of gas cause the pump to keep working and then seize. I tried to start it a couple of times and then turned the engine off.

Suggestions?

So the engine does turn over, just won't start?

cammac
07-06-2009, 09:52 PM
the battery is fine, the solenoid and starter sound fine, the kill switch is not dislodged, but i need some help with the engine breaker tripping?

cammac
07-06-2009, 09:53 PM
yes that is correct

cammac
07-06-2009, 09:56 PM
Try removing and reseating your kill switch.

Could indeed be a fried fuel pump. The only way you'll know is by checking fuel pressure. There's a bicycle-type valve (Schrader valve) on the fuel rail. With the key on, see if it has any fuel pressure behind it.

big mac---- we are not the most boat savvy people could you explain it in dumby language

cammac
07-06-2009, 09:58 PM
we took the kill switch off and put it back on, and tried to start it again, with no luck

JohnE
07-06-2009, 10:23 PM
What Bigmac is saying is that if the fuel pump has died (which often happens after the boat is run out of fuel) there will be no pressure. You measure the pressure at the schraeder valve that he described. Sounds like it might be over your head and you need to get the boat to someone who repairs them professionally.

Cloaked
07-06-2009, 10:31 PM
Find the valve that mac is talking about. It is quite evident there on top of the engine on the fuel rail.

Looks like a valve stem on an intertube, etc....usually silver in appearance. It may possibly have a stem cap on it. Turn the key on (which activates the fuel pump). Very carefully (safety first) push the valve stem inward a bit (use a key, small screwdriver, etc) and see if there is pressure enough to push fuel out the valve. Safety glass. That is also the same place to check fuel pressure with a gauge. It's simple as a bicycle tire.... :D

cammac
07-06-2009, 11:05 PM
thanks for the advice. checked the valve, there was no pressure. does that mean the fuel pump is toast and i have to get it replaced?

rhsprostar
07-06-2009, 11:11 PM
thanks for the advice. checked the valve, there was no pressure. does that mean the fuel pump is broken and i need to take it in?

Well....it doesn't look good dude. A new module will set you back at least $500. If you are mechanically inclined do a search on fuel pump replacement and you can do it yourself. Otherwise....take her in.

ttu
07-06-2009, 11:12 PM
yep, another fuel pump fatility.

man seems to be a bunch of this lately.:rolleyes:

cammac
07-06-2009, 11:19 PM
thanks.. isn't that a rip off?? how can you run out of gas and be forced to get a new fuel pump! isn't that a deficiency in the engineering and design?!

sethro
07-06-2009, 11:23 PM
I had a similar problem, although it was with an external fuel pump. All symptoms were the same, and the only way I could get the pump to "prime" and fill the system with fuel was to carefully crimp the fuel return line. I theorized that the fuel was drawing from the tank but going right back into the tank through the return line...so I blocked the return by crimping it and it fired right up and no problems since. Now, this was after trouble shooting just about everything else I could think of and figuring I needed a new pump.

I'm not familiar with the MCX fuel delivery system, but assuming it has a fuel return line (and you can find it) carefully crimp it (I used needle nose vice grips) and turn the key. Hopefully someone with MCX fuel delivery experience will chime in and help from here.

bigmac
07-06-2009, 11:29 PM
thanks.. isn't that a rip off?? how can you run out of gas and be forced to get a new fuel pump! isn't that a deficiency in the engineering and design?!YES! That's exactly what it is and it's a sore point for many of us MasterCraft owners.

cammac
07-06-2009, 11:36 PM
I had a similar problem, although it was with an external fuel pump. All symptoms were the same, and the only way I could get the pump to "prime" and fill the system with fuel was to carefully crimp the fuel return line. I theorized that the fuel was drawing from the tank but going right back into the tank through the return line...so I blocked the return by crimping it and it fired right up and no problems since. Now, this was after trouble shooting just about everything else I could think of and figuring I needed a new pump.

I'm not familiar with the MCX fuel delivery system, but assuming it has a fuel return line (and you can find it) carefully crimp it (I used needle nose vice grips) and turn the key. Hopefully someone with MCX fuel delivery experience will chime in and help from here.

where's the best place to crimp the fuel return line? does it matter?

rhsprostar
07-06-2009, 11:44 PM
You may not have a return line if your fuel pressure regulator is located on the top of the fuel module. In fact i think that is likely the case. Hmmm hard to tell without pics...

cammac
07-06-2009, 11:54 PM
thanks for your help..i guess we just have to give it up as another fatality..

bigmac
07-07-2009, 12:24 AM
You may not have a return line if your fuel pressure regulator is located on the top of the fuel module. In fact i think that is likely the case. Hmmm hard to tell without pics...
MCX doesn't use a return line. The pressure regulator is on top of the fuel pump module.

ORX-1
07-07-2009, 10:57 AM
I ran out of gas in the X-1 and when we filled it up the guy at the fuel dock on Shasta was nice enough to warn me to prime it before I started it, what I did was turned the key to the "ignition" position and would listen to the fuel pump fill the line back up, I did this about 3-5 times before I turned it over. Seemed to work alright for me, never had any issues with it. Not sure if that is the best method but since it worked I was happy with it.

bigmac
07-07-2009, 11:48 AM
I ran out of gas in the X-1 and when we filled it up the guy at the fuel dock on Shasta was nice enough to warn me to prime it before I started it, what I did was turned the key to the "ignition" position and would listen to the fuel pump fill the line back up, I did this about 3-5 times before I turned it over. Seemed to work alright for me, never had any issues with it. Not sure if that is the best method but since it worked I was happy with it.

Always a good idea to do that when starting after it's been empty or sitting for awhile, however IF your fuel pump suffered damage, it probably suffered it even before your engine quit from running out of gas.

ntidsl
07-07-2009, 12:16 PM
Don't Run Out Of Gas...you Cannot Be Mad At Mastercraft For That...we All Know Or Should Know That...i'd Never Let My Truck Or Car Run Out Of Gas...i Was Always Told It Was Bad For It...boats Are Not Toys, You As A Captain Must Keep Your Eye On The Fuel Guage And Think Of Safety First. Yes Boats Are Fun But For Crap Sake You Ran Out Of Gas Without Thinking It Would Hurt Your Boat? You Could Have Been Run Over By A Barge Or Another Boat While Sitting Dead In The Water With No Power, A Bad Fuel Pump Is The Least Of Your Worries...

Its Easy To Fix. I've Had A Bad Fuel Pump But Wasn't Caused By Running Out Of Gas. Do Some Research And Fix It Yourself It's Always Useful How To Know Hoe To Replace It Cuase It Could Happen Again If You Run Out Of Gas Again.

Good Luck And Next Time Keep An Eye On That Fuel Guage.

cammac
07-07-2009, 01:10 PM
does anyone know how I could get a fuel pump in less than 5 days. My family is only together for another 6 and we really need a fuel pump and mastercraft in our area will not get us one for at least 7 days. Can they be ordered and fedex overnight?

Chicago190
07-07-2009, 01:16 PM
does anyone know how I could get a fuel pump in less than 5 days. My family is only together for another 6 and we really need a fuel pump and mastercraft in our area will not get us one for at least 7 days. Can they be ordered and fedex overnight?

Look up Mastercraft of Charlotte or Bay Area Watersports. Both have owners that are active on this site and they have well recommended service departments.

bigmac
07-07-2009, 01:37 PM
Also, try Rambo Marine. They are also pretty well-known for excellent customer service, especially in situations like this.

http://www.rambomarine.com/contact-us/index.php

As an alternative, if you have the knowledge to pull the fuel pump unit from the tank, maybe you can also replace just the pump itself once the unit is out. If there's an Autozone nearby, maybe they have an Airtex E-2044 pump, or maybe you can find an AC Delco EP365. You'll need a fuel line disconnect tool while you're there (you'll need that in either case). There are threads here on that replacement that would likely be helpful.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=25391
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?p=527684

Edit:

Autozone doesn't have the Airtex E-2044 listed online. Advance Auto Parts (http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Fuel-Pump-Airtex_3141071-P_52_R|GRPFUE2AMS____) does, though.

cammac
07-07-2009, 02:21 PM
bigmac,
thanks your a super big help
the person who is going to help me fix this problem, asked for me to have all the tools "ready to rock" so what tools do I need to make sure I have, to I have them on hand? thank you so much for all your help.

rhsprostar
07-07-2009, 02:37 PM
I think you will be able to change out the pump without actually removing the line if you wanted to. It might be more difficult to do over the gas tank but not that bad.

Ole Miss Rebels
07-07-2009, 03:58 PM
do not fill the gas tank before changing the pump. leave it empty, otherwise you will have to siphon a significant portion of the fuel out before you can make the repair.

André
07-07-2009, 05:13 PM
Disconnect the battery first thing and always be careful around gas fumes...