PDA

View Full Version : Removing ski pylon in a 205

GuitsBoy
07-06-2009, 04:54 PM
So we removed the ski pylon in our 1992 PS 205, in order to put some plumbing in for a ballast system. We removed the cross member completely. This past weekend we took the boat out and ran into some heavy chop, and now Im thinking that it might be wise to try and put that crossmember back in. Is this piece actually load bearing? Does removing it actually weaken the hull or will it be strong enough without it? If I do try to put it back in, I'm gonna need to get creative with the angle grinder to keep it from interfering with the new plumbing. Just looking for some thoughts...

Ben
07-06-2009, 05:32 PM
From my memory, that is the highest point connecting the right and left side of the boat for most of the center. Would need a MC engineer to chime in on if it's req'd (doubtful), I'd recommend putting something there. Especially considering it sounds as if you have added a bit more weight to the hull... I'd get something close and chop it up, rather than cutting existing piece, so you can make the boat into a ski boat again if you ever want to sell it (assuming you were planning to keep the pylon out).

Any pictures? I just added a pump for the locker sac on my boat.

GuitsBoy
07-06-2009, 05:34 PM
From my memory, that is the highest point connecting the right and left side of the boat for most of the center. Would need a MC engineer to chime in on if it's req'd (doubtful), I'd recommend putting something there. Especially considering it sounds as if you have added a bit more weight to the hull... I'd get something close and chop it up, rather than cutting existing piece, so you can make the boat into a ski boat again if you ever want to sell it (assuming you were planning to keep the pylon out).

Any pictures? I just added a pump for the locker sac on my boat.

I have a couple of pics, Ill try and upload from home tonight. And yes, were running a small locker sack, plus two 540's on either side of the engine. Not to mention we usually ride with 6 to 8 people. Shes pretty slammed.

Ben
07-07-2009, 07:49 AM
Sounds good, we have the locker sac + a 750 in the back. I was hoping to retain the "storage" behind the driver seat that way... Tower + racks would be awesome, but not in the plan.