PDA

View Full Version : transmission issues 91' prostar 190

jomiddour
07-06-2009, 04:03 PM
So after several hours of screwing around with a skurf (sp?) board and half way surfing using two people as ballast, the water smoothed out and we decided to do some skiing. When I pulled my brother out of the water the transmission slipped and then caught again really hard. Terrified me but he was up so I didn't stop until after he finished. Then we went back to the dock tocheck everything out.

Fluid level was fine, I couldn't make it slip again. After pulling the boat out I siphoned as much of the fluid as possible out and replaced with new dexron 3 fluid. Powerslot should take 3 quarts but it overflowed with about 2 3/4 quarts in it. Can I damage anything running the boat with the tranny full or should I siphon some out until it is the proper level on the dipstick?

Chicago190
07-06-2009, 05:08 PM
So after several hours of screwing around with a skurf (sp?) board and half way surfing using two people as ballast, the water smoothed out and we decided to do some skiing. When I pulled my brother out of the water the transmission slipped and then caught again really hard. Terrified me but he was up so I didn't stop until after he finished. Then we went back to the dock tocheck everything out.

Fluid level was fine, I couldn't make it slip again. After pulling the boat out I siphoned as much of the fluid as possible out and replaced with new dexron 3 fluid. Powerslot should take 3 quarts but it overflowed with about 2 3/4 quarts in it. Can I damage anything running the boat with the tranny full or should I siphon some out until it is the proper level on the dipstick?

Yes, you should remove the excess fluid. You should also read the transmission fluid level right after you turn the engine off.

jomiddour
07-07-2009, 03:56 PM
What are the chances that I've solved my problems by changing the fluid or is it likely that I need a rebuild? Can I damage the transmission with too much fluid in it as it was near full when I removed it? The fluid that I removed was very dark and dirty looking but did not look milky as if it had water in it. I changed it within 15 minutes of cutting the boat off from operating temp.

Chicago190
07-07-2009, 04:44 PM
With a slipping transmission the first thing I would do is change out the old fluid. Here is a thread I came across when searching for slipping transmissions: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=29025&highlight=slipping

If I were you, I would take the boat out with the fresh fluid at the correct level and see if it slips again.

Jim@BAWS
07-07-2009, 05:02 PM

You will not wreck your transmission by over filling it. If it is overfilled it will bleed out the bleeder on the top of the transmission. Exact transmission fluid height is not an exact science. Be sure and fill w/ TYPE F or TYPE FA.

Jim@BAWS