PDA

View Full Version : too mellow wake on 08 X-star

enolten
07-06-2009, 12:02 PM
hey guys, i just got stock 08 x-star and i need more vertical pop...meaning i want a more defined lip...for some reason i suddenly have issues with my trip flips, not being able to get the pop on my jumps completing rotation....i used to have a 22 ssv which has a very vertical 'wall' of the wake making it very easy to do those tricks but now i kinda lost my mojo...
having that said i want to add more ballast to my boat with going all out with the 4 FLY high ballast sacks...how can i get a more vertical wall? i was thinking about just adding 2x 400 lbs bags in the back but i would like to see if someone has done anything like this?? my regular wake to wakes, into the flats are solid and i go higher than on my 22 ssv, but again....

TallRedRider
07-06-2009, 12:10 PM
The X-star wake has a more gentle ramp for sure. I think it takes some getting used to since the Supra has a steep wake.

From what I understand (not owning an Xstar, but having read a lot and I have been behind one) more weight in the back will likely steepen the wake some, in the front will mellow it out.

I think if you are getting higher and into the flats more than before, then you just need to relearn the trick with the different wake.

rodltg2
07-06-2009, 12:46 PM
post your question on Wakeworld.com. you will get all the info you need on weighting it properly

wakeX2wake
07-06-2009, 12:53 PM
400-600 lbs in the rear alone will steepen the wake... what go red said is correct about weighting loctions in your boat... beware on wakeworld

denverd1
07-06-2009, 12:58 PM
One more for more weight in the back.

enolten
07-06-2009, 01:10 PM
allrite...gez that's what i will go for...add 800 lbs in the back, play with the speed a little and find my lost mojo...

MYMC
07-06-2009, 02:15 PM
The factory rear ballast tanks are too far forward...leave them empty and plumb in Fly High X-Series fat-sac on each side...you'll be much happier.

Remember more weight rear make it steeper more forward mellows it out...weight front and rear equally just makes it bigger. Bigger requires more speed, more speed needs more rope.

Hope that helps.

skeeler
07-06-2009, 02:36 PM
Well, my 08 Star is set-up like this. Factory ballast of course plus the following;
400lbs each rear locker
250lbs each box storage area
250lbs of lead under bow filler cushion
250lbs of lead next to driver as well as a little forward in the walkway
2 - 165lbs people.
80' line
23.2 mph
Money!!

Yes, the X-Star wake is a little mellow with the transition, but when weighted properly, it takes that transition and blows it up.
Also, one to factor in, is the depth of where you are riding. Our lake on the average is about 25'-30' deep. Even with the set-up I have above the wake is terrible on a shallow 8'-15' lake. All step hulls are.
It will take a few rides to get the feel back, especially with trip flip based tricks.
Hope that helps!

enolten
07-06-2009, 03:49 PM
i definitely am getting excited to put more weight in the back...the stock ballast is 'allrite'..but with a boat like this i need more than just allrite...gonna start with 800 lbs in the back on top of the stock, add 5 people in the boat so i have some moving weights while boarding and i bet i will be able to figure it out...currently riding at 23.8....probably gonna keep the same speed and put my ropelength at 75'....the lake i am riding at is pretty deep....varying from 15' - 100'...so i dont think i have shallow water issues....

vision
07-06-2009, 08:06 PM
The factory rear ballast tanks are too far forward...leave them empty and plumb in Fly High X-Series fat-sac on each side...you'll be much happier.

Remember more weight rear make it steeper more forward mellows it out...weight front and rear equally just makes it bigger. Bigger requires more speed, more speed needs more rope.

Hope that helps.

MYMC has described our experience as well. After months of playing around with weight when we first received our X-star, we settled with Fly High sacs in each rear locker about 3/4 full (around 500lbs each), Fly high sacs under both front seats (around 200 lbs each), and no water in the built in tanks. Excellent lip at 65 to 70 feet and 24 to 25 mph.

enolten
07-07-2009, 08:52 AM
a buddy of mine has some fatsacs so we played around yesterday...in the rear added 2x 500 lbs bags and in the front 400 lbs on top of the stock ballast...rode 75' at 23.5 and seriously what a difference...got my mojo back...i cannot believe what an impact that made...so guys appreciate all your feedbacks...this wake is freakin' awesome...i was dissappointed with the stock wake...making me wonder why everybody is so crazy about the wake on the x-star...now i know!!!!

Jerseydave
07-07-2009, 03:15 PM
Here's my wake last week with stock ballast plus (2) 400's in the rear lockers and one 750 in the walkway (total 2500#). Rider is going 26 mph @ 90 feet of rope. (guess who he is :D)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mljukacehMY

Since none of my friends ride this fast or with a 90 ft rope, at MYMC suggestion I only fill the (2) 400# rear fat sacs, I don't use the rear hard tanks, and I do fill the front KGB tank. I like the wake this way, plus I can still add the 750# sac in the walkway if I need/want to.

CottagerGreg
07-07-2009, 08:39 PM
nice video! Hard to tell you are going that fast! Wake looks good!

treptowr
07-09-2009, 05:12 PM
might as well put the fly high 750's in there. Plenty of room. Fill them to the right level. You'll eventually want more weight there and won't have to switch out sacs.

enolten
07-10-2009, 08:29 AM
i should have bought the 750's instead of the 550's, but they did not have them in stock...wake is pretty awesome though...maybe i will order them next year...i am tired of spending money...well i am not, but my bankaccount is saying otherwise...

swatguy
07-13-2009, 01:10 AM
I am a little late on this one, but here goes. As others have stated put some more weight in the back on that thing.

Th old Supra wake was a bit more vert. The biggest difference from the SSV to the X-Star is the amount of tranny. The X-Star wake is meat and the tranny is huge. By no means take this as a dig to your riding, but you may be leaving a tad early. One if the guys we ride with regularly sacks out an X-Star and the first couple of times we rode behind that beast when it hit the showroom floor it took us a solid week or so to adjust our riding style.........especially those who came off a SANTE which has next to zero tranny. Hold you takeoff a bit longer. It's essential and most noticeable on those trip filp tricks. When you cheat and leave early you def get punished. However, due to the long tranny you don't get as punished on straight/load and release airs. You can usually get the kick you need leaving a bit early, but if you wait..........oh if you wait. ;)

enolten
07-13-2009, 09:40 AM
thanks for the comments...but i dont think my timing was that much off...attached a pic of yesterday riding....

swatguy
07-13-2009, 12:28 PM
scarecrow? or frontroll?

craig3972
07-13-2009, 12:51 PM
scarecrow? or frontroll?

i'm guessing scarecrow

enolten
07-13-2009, 01:00 PM
scarecrow it is...